Memories of play off final v Swindon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pelly

Central Defender
I watched the whole first half on youtube last night, first time ive seen it. I remember at the time listening to the radio when it was on and my memories since have been that we got totally battered. From watching the first half I have seen how we got absolutely, completely battered. They missed some sitters including an open goal and could easily have been 4 or 5 up. That said after 2 mins Gates was free on the left of the 6 yard box and tried to cross it when a shot across the keeper looked a better bet and a decent chance.

Any memories?

Posted this on here before ....
Got a short notice appointment for a minor operation on the Friday before the game which was on the Monday. Went in on the Friday for what should have been an 'in/out same day, couple of painkillers and jobs a good un' exploratory op on my knee, woke up to be told "we took some loose bone fragment out and repaired a tendon while we were in" so my hospital stay was to become 5/6 days instead with my foot up". Bollocks to that ... no doctor knows my body better than I do and my team needed me ! Signed myself out on the Sunday so I could go to the match on the Monday. Went with the supporters buses - I was in agony, the bus had to stop 5 times on the way so I could get off to throw up:lol:. Got back to the bus after the game, last one on, by which time I was actually in tears because of the pain and everyone thought I was upset because we'd lost :lol:, fortunately I slept most of the way back. When I got home my knee was swollen so much that my mam had to cut my jeans off like they do on Casualty. I have to admit ... Doctor knew better than me and also ripped me a new arsehole when I went back to see him the following week.

we were battered - took me 3 hours to get out of carpark and car broke down at Redbridge Tube station in East London. No breakdown service and ended up getting £100 scrap for it the following weekend. I remember more about the journey home than the game! what a sh!t day.

Remember it like yesterday.
We were an excellent team and never felt as confident before a Wembley game (been 5 times).
First 5 minutes Sunderland looked dangerous but from the 6th minute and until the 90th it was like a scene out of Pearl Harbour as Swindon mounted wave after wave of attacks. Tony Norman motd. Swindon kept the ball very well in the heat and looked comfortable.
Sunderland fans after the match were incredible. Never seen sportsmanship like it and actually felt gutted for them, never felt like that for any opposition.
So many kept coming over and wishing us all the best.

On the Tuesday the news stared emerging that something was wrong. Never believed the outcome and why would we as this never happens in football.
World ripped apart, a dream ripped apart and a dream that we never recovered from. This side was better than Hoddle’s and we never had a chance to see it at the highest level.
It hurt badly it still hurts badly but no malice against Sunderland, in fact the complete opposite.

My dad went with his mate Alf but didn't tell me until he day before. I cried my eyes out. He went and bought me a replica England kit (the one you sewed the badge onto) and had also got us corporate tickets at Croft for BTCC. My mum took us to Croft with my best mate Colin and we had a great day. Dad came home from Wembley, said it was he worst game of his life and wished he'd come to be BTCC instead.

In 1999 with my first pay packet, I took him to the BTCC at Croft. 🥰

My dad went with his mate Alf but didn't tell me until he day before. I cried my eyes out. He went and bought me a replica England kit (the one you sewed the badge onto) and had also got us corporate tickets at Croft for BTCC. My mum took us to Croft with my best mate Colin and we had a great day. Dad came home from Wembley, said it was he worst game of his life and wished he'd come to be BTCC instead.

In 1999 with my first pay packet, I took him to the BTCC at Croft. 🥰

Days later it was about to change.

Almost feels bizarre if that happened in the modern world.
Tottenham got found guilty and just a fine. Other clubs were doing the same.
Little Club like Swindon were made an example of. Sure we did wrong and should have been fined. A different rule for the big clubs as that was that we were demoted 2 divisions, appealed and demoted 1 and were broke from legal fees.

Days later it was about to change.

Almost feels bizarre if that happened in the modern world.
Tottenham got found guilty and just a fine. Other clubs were doing the same.
Little Club like Swindon were made an example of. Sure we did wrong and should have been fined. A different rule for the big clubs as that was that we were demoted 2 divisions, appealed and demoted 1 and were broke from legal fees.

He also couldn't believe it at the time. He f***ing hates Swindon like.

Overriding memory,, i will never, ever step onto a coach again, the pre bogs ones were horrific for the likes of me who has a slackbladder after alcohol, spent more time in back row pissing in a pop bottle than sitting down. 😩😩

It was red hot, mate was off work with chicken pox and went back with a tan they thought he'd been away.

Was hoping for penalties after 10 minutes we were that bad

Posted this on here before ....
Got a short notice appointment for a minor operation on the Friday before the game which was on the Monday. Went in on the Friday for what should have been an 'in/out same day, couple of painkillers and jobs a good un' exploratory op on my knee, woke up to be told "we took some loose bone fragment out and repaired a tendon while we were in" so my hospital stay was to become 5/6 days instead with my foot up". Bollocks to that ... no doctor knows my body better than I do and my team needed me ! Signed myself out on the Sunday so I could go to the match on the Monday. Went with the supporters buses - I was in agony, the bus had to stop 5 times on the way so I could get off to throw up:lol:. Got back to the bus after the game, last one on, by which time I was actually in tears because of the pain and everyone thought I was upset because we'd lost :lol:, fortunately I slept most of the way back. When I got home my knee was swollen so much that my mam had to cut my jeans off like they do on Casualty. I have to admit ... Doctor knew better than me and also ripped me a new arsehole when I went back to see him the following week.

Now that is commitment!

Worst we played at Wembley till last year imo. Swindon played us off the park for the whole game so maybe more about them playing well than us stinking the joint out that day, and feck me it was a hot one.

I was in the RAF at West Drayton, near Heathrow. A couple of lads came down on the Friday and as it was Bank Holiday the families club at RAF Uxbridge had a 48 hour bar, Friday till Sunday. The bar was cheap as chips good crack and we spent most of the weekend either drinking in the bar or asleep nearby. Met up with some lads Monday morning for a BBQ at a lads fan’s house near Uxbridge, more beer. Me and the 2 lads who’d come down didn’t have tickets, one mate paid £20 (I think) to a tout outside Wembley, me and other lad were contemplating ‘asking’ a tout for free tickets. A plain clothed copper grabbed me before we could ask tout if we had tickets, said no and he produced 2 and said use these, get in the ground and enjoy. Couldn’t believe it, sat on the Balcony thing that was high up and we were behind the press box, mate spent most of the (shite) game shouting abuse at Roger Thames. Shite match but fab weekend, slept the Monday night in mates bairns cot as his wife had gone away for the night. Loved the crack just shitty result but that was improved by going up instead of the Scum 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back