Mcguires luxury lodges

ChrisK

Winger
Seen these advertised as retirement places as think you got to be 45+ to buy and live on the site no kids allowed anyone on here got one ?
And would you recommend.

Stay well clear.
You speaking from experience here? I nearly bought a static in Weardale. Financially it made little sense(site fees, replacing van every8-10 years) unless you're using it every weekend and every available holiday.

You speaking from experience here? I nearly bought a static in Weardale. Financially it made little sense(site fees, replacing van every8-10 years) unless you're using it every weekend and every available holiday.
This is where people go wrong. They think it’s okay if they get the use but in reality you don’t save anything by using it every weekend, in fact it costs you more in fuel etc. To buy a static, boat or camper etc you need to be able to afford not to use it.

Does a static caravan only last 10 years before they're nackered or is that a site rule or something?

Its site dependant. Ours is on a site that has a 20 year license, but there a some that are much older. As long as its in good condition and maintained, the site allows it. Some sites are f***ing ruthless with it though.
Most sites, as I understand, want vans replaced after ten years, site rules. I suppose it's another lucrative cash flow for them.
Works out very expensive in that case then.

I was thinking on doing this when I turn 60,
We'll have 2 years left on our mortgage so hopefully I'll have about £240. 000.
But definitely need to do our homework before buying!

For me a better option is to hire one whenever you fancy, got to work out a better deal
Unless you’re retired and want to live in it for months on end I’ve always thought it’s mad buying one.. Even then being stuck on the same site seems a bit grim, I’m planning on getting a camper van when I retire so I can bugger off round Europe till my liver packs in from excess wine consumption 👍

Unless you’re retired and want to live in it for months on end I’ve always thought it’s mad buying one.. Even then being stuck on the same site seems a bit grim, I’m planning on getting a camper van when I retire so I can bugger off round Europe till my liver packs in from excess wine consumption 👍
What a way to go:D

You are right, I should have seen the OP was looking to sell up and buy one, with 240k it does seem an option, I know you can only live in them 11 months a year, but a holiday in Spain for that month won't hurt

You are right, I should have seen the OP was looking to sell up and buy one, with 240k it does seem an option, I know you can only live in them 11 months a year, but a holiday in Spain for that month won't hurt
There are sites that you can live on for 12 month. You just pay a council tax (reduced rate iirc).
My mam has just moved from one into a bungalow. Things to ask yourself.
Do you want peace and quiet?
Do you want to be remote
Do you want to live 12 months on site
Do you want to be warm
Do you want a social life
Do you want a decent size place
Do you want it to be permanent
Do you want to park a car
Because all of the above will see your £240k dwindle very quickly.

As most sites busy with chavs all summer
Close for a month
Freezing in the winter even with heating
Noisy
Not car friendly
Change hands frequently
On the outskirts of busy places.
Small beyond belief compared to a house
Clubhouses open when they want.

You have to pay a lot of money to live comfortably. It was the cold that got my mam, she loved it otherwise.

There are sites that you can live on for 12 month. You just pay a council tax (reduced rate iirc).
My mam has just moved from one into a bungalow. Things to ask yourself.
Do you want peace and quiet?
Do you want to be remote
Do you want to live 12 months on site
Do you want to be warm
Do you want a social life
Do you want a decent size place
Do you want it to be permanent
Do you want to park a car
Because all of the above will see your £240k dwindle very quickly.

As most sites busy with chavs all summer
Close for a month
Freezing in the winter even with heating
Noisy
Not car friendly
Change hands frequently
On the outskirts of busy places.
Small beyond belief compared to a house
Clubhouses open when they want.

You have to pay a lot of money to live comfortably. It was the cold that got my mam, she loved it otherwise.

Cheers for that looking at Mcguires sites they are 45+ only no kids or Chavs unless over 45 allowed Built as retirement sites so should be quiet
We would probably lock it up for 3 month over winter get a long term rental somewhere warm

Back