McCullum

Love the guy more and more!!

‘We will risk losing to win’

As wants to play entertaining aggressive cricket!!

Speaking ahead of upcoming test series

Last edited:

All well and good until we do actually start losing :lol:

It’s an admirable and so far successful approach, but ultimately people want to watch a winning team. I’d be a little concerned playing the way we did in the summer on Pakistani pitches. They are likely to be slow, docile and require patience and endurance to make big scores.

Not criticising the attacking approach as I think overall it’s right to play on the front foot, the great Australian side afterall used to pride themselves on scoring at over 4 an over, but I feel we could go too far that way and expose ourselves somewhat. Let’s hope not.

It’s an admirable and so far successful approach, but ultimately people want to watch a winning team. I’d be a little concerned playing the way we did in the summer on Pakistani pitches. They are likely to be slow, docile and require patience and endurance to make big scores.

Not criticising the attacking approach as I think overall it’s right to play on the front foot, the great Australian side afterall used to pride themselves on scoring at over 4 an over, but I feel we could go too far that way and expose ourselves somewhat. Let’s hope not.

Yeah I agree at times it needs pulling back a little depending on conditions and game situation.

But the overall bigger picture, philosophy and approach is soo refreshing imo

Would rather win 3 test matches and lose 2 in a five match series than win 1 and draw 4

Last edited:
I think the flat pitches suit this approach perfectly personally

We also would not win by trying to grind it out for 5 days

Will depend a lot on the pace of wickets I think. If the ball isn’t coming on then we could struggle a bit with an uber attacking approach.

Agree with your last comment, with the squad we’ve picked we would be a fish of out water trying to grind out a result. However Pakistan has rarely traditionally produced free scoring test match wickets. Plenty of runs yes, but usually plenty of patience too.

I think the flat pitches suit this approach perfectly personally

We also would not win by trying to grind it out for 5 days

If the pitches are like Pakistan V Australia test series then the only way to win is score quick.

Also, as the country with probably the most temperamental weather and the most delayed matches, it makes sense to play in a way that can wrap up a test in 3-4 days :lol:

Hopefully the pitches are conducive to positive cricket and not like the beaches that India served up

Will depend a lot on the pace of wickets I think. If the ball isn’t coming on then we could struggle a bit with an uber attacking approach.

Agree with your last comment, with the squad we’ve picked we would be a fish of out water trying to grind out a result. However Pakistan has rarely traditionally produced free scoring test match wickets. Plenty of runs yes, but usually plenty of patience too.

I think the last part is key though, I don’t think we can win against Pakistan in Pakistan trying to grind it out. Not saying just go ultra attacking but it plays to our strengths

They have a free pass from me even if we get hammered 3-0. We were so good in the summer they’d be stupid not to try going the same way.

The way mccullum and key talk is so refreshing and it’s just opposite to the usual ECB talk.

I hope it’s a good series just as I plan on watching it so would be good to be entertained

Yeah that can start by getting Stokes to stop giving his wicket away every other innings
Stokes is showing a very unselfish side to him which is good for a captain, he is putting the side before is own average etc.

Everything he has done has turned to gold since he became captain meaning both winning games and entertaining the public.

For sure the odd game he has been a little bit too attacking, but it’s very churlish to criticise him for the above.

Like he said in one interview with Mark Butcher he doesn’t mind been criticized for his batting when his side is consistently winning test matches!!

Not sure these slow pitches did require patience and endurance mate to make big scores.

Surely now we all converted to the gods that are McCullum and Stokes!!

Not sure these slow pitches did require patience and endurance mate to make big scores.

Surely now we all converted to the gods that are McCullum and Stokes!!
[/QUOTE}

Clearly not! However a balance was found at times, Brook in particular played sensibly and found the right mix of risk and defence during his last two centuries.

The most impressive thing has been the bowling, other than the first innings of the series, we haven't scored 400 in an innings (Not knocking our scores mind), so the bowlers have really delivered to defend totals between 250-370 and win test matches here.

I won't point out Pakistan's injuries ;)

Overall, an astounding win.

Clearly not! However a balance was found at times, Brook in particular played sensibly and found the right mix of risk and defence during his last two centuries.

The most impressive thing has been the bowling, other than the first innings of the series, we haven't scored 400 in an innings (Not knocking our scores mind), so the bowlers have really delivered to defend totals between 250-370 and win test matches here.

Last edited:

Yeah in all seriousness I get it and understand your view especially historically the way wickets had played in this part of the world.

Just continue to be really really excited by this new approach and loving it!!

Back