Matt Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bent also heaped praise on manager Steve Bruce, and the striker tipped the Sunderland boss to move on to higher-profile opportunities in the future.

He added: "He's got the ability to be the next England manager. Fergie [Sir Alex Ferguson] is not going to go on forever, so that big job is waiting for someone to go and grab.

"He's a top man manager. When you're playing well, there's no-one better at giving you a lift. When you're not doing well, he doesn't go over the top. He seems to get it right every time
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

At age 27, who can blame Ritchie at doubling his money and going somewhere where he will get a regular game.

That's my point mate. For me players are merely passing through and providing they do a good job whilst here I can't ask for anymore and Bent certainly did. Would I have liked him to stay? Of course I would but he got offered a better deal elsewhere and moved on, that's the way of the world. I hold no malice towards him. I've said it before if a club feels a players time is up they won't hesitate to make life difficult regardless of how happy they may be there so players are well within their rights to flex some muscle when they're on demand.
We can't have it both ways though marra (I'm agreeing with you btw) and I think there's the conundrum. I remember not selling SKP a year or so before we did for silly money as there would have been hell on. When he went, we got a fraction of that. We sold Bent and latterly Mignolet and Henderson for bloody good money yet some would not have wanted it.

When I was younger, I remember rumours of a Rowell bid for £500,000 (a lot at the time) and later Gary Owers was attracting potentially large amounts. Hindsight would say Owers should have been sold. Slightly before my time, my dad regales me with the sad tale of how Sunderland was in shock at the sake of Colin Todd. As agreed, fine margins or you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sadly, footballers don't usually have the same outlook as supporters. Despite the platitudes.:(

We can't have it both ways though marra (I'm agreeing with you btw) and I think there's the conundrum. I remember not selling SKP a year or so before we did for silly money as there would have been hell on. When he went, we got a fraction of that. We sold Bent and latterly Mignolet and Henderson for bloody good money yet some would not have wanted it.

When I was younger, I remember rumours of a Rowell bid for £500,000 (a lot at the time) and later Gary Owers was attracting potentially large amounts. Hindsight would say Owers should have been sold. Slightly before my time, my dad regales me with the sad tale of how Sunderland was in shock at the sake of Colin Todd. As agreed, fine margins or you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sadly, footballers don't usually have the same outlook as supporters. Despite the platitudes.:(
A good post other than the Colin Todd before your time remark. Who you trying to kid! ;)

He created a pretty good chance for himself that day, never really made many chances for himself either in general so I'd say calling him a disgrace that day is a bit harsh.

Do remember him not celebrating a goal (against Bolton potentially?) and just walking back to the halfway line, so the signs were probably there but I don't think he was that bad. He still notched a couple of times in the few weeks before he left.

His first full year he seemed to have genuinely bought into the club and he looked like he was enjoying his football.

His body language was different from the start of 2010/11 to his departure in January. He still scored at a healthy rate but wasn't as clinical as he had been the year before. Although iirc wasn't he injured for a spell? Can't remember him being on the field at all when we beat Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge.

His first full year he seemed to have genuinely bought into the club and he looked like he was enjoying his football.

His body language was different from the start of 2010/11 to his departure in January. He still scored at a healthy rate but wasn't as clinical as he had been the year before. Although iirc wasn't he injured for a spell? Can't remember him being on the field at all when we beat Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge.
He wasn't, definitely didn't play in the Chelsea game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back