Massive star about 7 o’clock to the moon

Have you seen it ?
Any resident sky merchants about.

I am thinking ………. Venus ?
It’s Jupiter.

It’s in a close conjunction with the moon at the moment.

If you look to the left a bit and upwards you’ll see three stars in a line ( Orion’s Belt ) and above left of that an orange coloured star - Betelgeuse.
The next couple of months are my favourite for star gazing.

Download Stellar or Star Walk for free, they’re excellent for showing you what’s what in the sky
Hate to be a know all, but Venus is a planet and reflects light. It isn't a star..

Patrick Moore peachy

Stars reflect light too 👍

Last edited:
just googled it could quite possibly be that as there were a few other stars around it as well

hopefully get a good luck tonight
The number of stars I could see across the sky last night to form a line of 3 was quite large but for relatively close proximity Orion's belt is likely to be the one
Download Stellar or Star Walk for free, they’re excellent for showing you what’s what in the sky
Love the Night Sky is also a good free download for info
Hopefully be clear skies again tonight.
Check on Clear Outside for where you are, I find it gives good guidance on cloud cover etc

Last edited:
There's a star in the Orion constellation which is visible to the naked eye, Betelguese, slightly orange in colour. Apparently it's about to go supernova. Should be quite a spectacle if it does in our lifetime.
If you recognise Orion, then it is a really nice one to look out for in the winter months. Look pretty much due south at 6pm and you will see it.

It is an old red giant star, so if you look at it for a few minutes and compare it to other stars, you will notice is is quite orange. It is a big different from the relatively young white/blue star, Rigel in the lower right corner.
Logon or register to see this image

Orion can be a good sign post to other interesting stuff. If you follow the belt down to the left in a straight line, you get to the brightest star seen from the UK, Sirius, which is also known as the Dog Star. (Note, Harry Potter fans, and also Bellatrix in Orion). Going the other way, you get to a V which is the head of the bull of Taurus. Going the same distance again is the Pleaides cluster, where if you have any binoculars is well worth a look. With the naked eye it looks like a little cloud of stars.

If you do have binoculars and think something might be Jupiter, even low power bird watching binoculars can be enough to pick out the four brightest moons. It will not be that spectacular but look a bit like . . o . .

If it looks like it has ears, then it is Saturn.
Stars reflect light too 👍
They don't. They are known as black bodies because they pretty much absorb all radiation going into them:

Last edited:
If you recognise Orion, then it is a really nice one to look out for in the winter months. Look pretty much due south at 6pm and you will see it.

It is an old red giant star, so if you look at it for a few minutes and compare it to other stars, you will notice is is quite orange. It is a big different from the relatively young white/blue star, Rigel in the lower right corner.
Logon or register to see this image

Orion can be a good sign post to other interesting stuff. If you follow the belt down to the left in a straight line, you get to the brightest star seen from the UK, Sirius, which is also known as the Dog Star. (Note, Harry Potter fans, and also Bellatrix in Orion). Going the other way, you get to a V which is the head of the bull of Taurus. Going the same distance again is the Pleaides cluster, where if you have any binoculars is well worth a look. With the naked eye it looks like a little cloud of stars.

If you do have binoculars and think something might be Jupiter, even low power bird watching binoculars can be enough to pick out the four brightest moons. It will not be that spectacular but look a bit like . . o . .

If it looks like it has ears, then it is Saturn.

They don't. They are known as black bodies because they pretty much absorb all radiation going into them:
I got quite a decent shot of the Orion nebula a few years ago when I ventured away from landscape photography to try Astro photography. I am actually considering giving astro photography another go and purchasing a star tracker mount.

Flat earthers celebrate.

I reckon they crashed - they have been very silent since it "landed" and are planning on holding a news conference.

I got quite a decent shot of the Orion nebula a few years ago when I ventured away from landscape photography to try Astro photography. I am actually considering giving astro photography another go and purchasing a star tracker mount.
I aim to eventually use a tracker for astro, but for full effect a more capable scope would also be required than I currently have. I'm using a beginner scope to learn so maybe one day.

Back