Mark Stoneman

50 first inning, unbeaten ton second

He's a really good cricketer who I think should have done more in his career

I wonder if he has regrets about how he played for England, not in terms of effort or bottle or anything, just he is probably the best opener to watch in England, county cricket I mean, a few years back. He often got to like 30 or 40 very quickly as he was fairly attacking without taking too many risks, great timer of the ball

For England, he just went into his shell, and didnt play his natural game, you can understand why, but if you look at his dismisalls at test level he basically never got out to a loose shot or anything, always looked stuck on the crease to me

I really think of all the openers we tried, he was the most talented. He just needed to believe in his ability more

Really wish he had come back to Durham, I assumed he would with Borthwick, bit gutted!

He's a really good cricketer who I think should have done more in his career

I wonder if he has regrets about how he played for England, not in terms of effort or bottle or anything, just he is probably the best opener to watch in England, county cricket I mean, a few years back. He often got to like 30 or 40 very quickly as he was fairly attacking without taking too many risks, great timer of the ball

For England, he just went into his shell, and didnt play his natural game, you can understand why, but if you look at his dismisalls at test level he basically never got out to a loose shot or anything, always looked stuck on the crease to me

I really think of all the openers we tried, he was the most talented. He just needed to believe in his ability more

Really wish he had come back to Durham, I assumed he would with Borthwick, bit gutted!
I’ve said before I’d like to see him given another go. Agree with all of the above. May well be too late for him now but in terms of technique and ability he looked to me to be a good fit and certainly good enough to play Test cricket, but maybe didn’t quite have the belief and never quite managed to get the score that would have cemented his place. Shame really.

Back