Mare of Easttown

its just a high quality series, shows if the story is right and the main lead is good it doesnt need to be filled with special effects, just people being people

I am wondering if they have done something with the palette when filming it to create the atmosphere...its always a pretty grey and dour town...its not a sunny happy place is it

Last edited:
its just a high quality series, shows if the story is right and the main lead is good it doesnt need to be filled with special effects, just people being people

I am wondering if they have done something with the palette when filming it to create the atmosphere...its always a pretty grey and dour town...its not a sunny happy place is it

It’s got a massive drug problem, theirs a dirty bästard collecting prostitutes for his raping room, and the local plod are absolutely useless, it’s like the early 80s in any big American city, but with mobile phones and the internet.

I've seen some comparisons with Happy Valley being made.

I've loved MOE but haven't seen any of HV. Is HV as good or is it more that they have similar tone/story?

I've seen some comparisons with Happy Valley being made.

I've loved MOE but haven't seen any of HV. Is HV as good or is it more that they have similar tone/story?
Set in a backwards shïthole, and the bobby is bringing up her grandson due to the fact her kid committed Harry carry,

Happy valley started from episode 1 last Friday on drama channel, so it’ll probably be on again on Thursday.

Brilliant episode. Gutted he took one in the head there but jeez aye poor reaction times. Yes I don't think the kidnapper is the murderer too. That is to be the big shock.

The uncle couldn’t have looked any mare dodgy if he’d walked in wearing erin’s skin as a mask. There’s just loads of wrang uns floating about round easttown.

The uncle couldn’t have looked any mare dodgy if he’d walked in wearing erin’s skin as a mask. There’s just loads of wrang uns floating about round easttown.
Aye spending a few weeks there was a bit odd

As a few have already mentioned I think there's a big scandi noir influence with this show, particularly The Killing. The strong but imperfect female lead trying to solve a complex crime whilst battling a domestic life that's falling apart - the washed out palette - the exploration of the grief of the bereaved - the lack of flashy gimmicks or clichés - the shocking loss of her cop partner for which she may be partially responsible.

Having said all that, the dingy atmosphere of the final scene was very Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

Must have, at least it makes a change from teal and orange :).

Back