Mao Hosoya - linked

'My Sharona' primed for a new chant ...

i do a lot of business in Japan.
I just had 3 days of meetings in Tokyo back in July all in English
Everyone i asked directions from could help me out
It sounds like Japan has changed alot. I was there for three weeks in 2005 and got treated like a celebrity. Had people ask for their photo with me several times a day. People would come up to me in bars and ask to practise their English with me (but barely knew any). In restaurants the chef would come out and point to ingredients and then make us something. Sometimes a random customer would help translate. At museums we would be allowed to skip the line (we went to the Expo). Except in Tokyo I could go a whole day without seeing another white person. Nobody knew any English, even people in tourism jobs.

Russia is the only place I've been where people had worse English (and that was alot harder as the Japanese were very helpful).
I have at least 20 Japanese friends, all but one lives in Japan (the odd one out lives in Australia, she speaks Australian 😉). They all speak very good English. I guess I must be a statistical anomaly 🤔

I also travel a fair bit to Japan and have found that there are plenty of good English speakers and a lot want to learn (more) 🇯🇵

The best translation app 😎
How did you meet these 20? That is probably quite significant to whether it's unusual they know English.

Last edited:

It sounds like Japan has changed alot. I was there for three weeks in 2005 and got treated like a celebrity. Had people ask for their photo with me several times a day. People would come up to me in bars and ask to practise their English with me (but barely knew any). In restaurants the chef would come out and point to ingredients and then make us something. Sometimes a random customer would help translate. At museums we would be allowed to skip the line (we went to the Expo). Except in Tokyo I could go a whole day without seeing another white person. Nobody knew any English, even people in tourism jobs.

Russia is the only place I've been where people had worse English (and that was alot harder as the Japanese were very helpful).

How did you meet these 20? That is probably quite significant to whether it's unusual they know English.

I use to coach baseball in Australia (go figure 🙄) and did a lot of tours with competitions in Japan and South Korea. I facilitated a few players to come snd play baseball in Australia, they were very good players (for us) and they improved their English, win, win.
I found that even with very limited, just about non existent English speaking. They were proficient after their 1 or 2 year stay, unfortunately they all had Australian accents 😀
One player quickly learnt "strike 3 motherfucker" 🤣

Last edited:
Lad were after is Japanese
Was just making the comparison Hank as both are Asians. To play Football in China you have to have come from money. I suspect it's same in Japan? In other words, it's a privilege to play footy out here, hell they might even pay to play some of them.

Was just making the comparison Hank as both are Asians. To play Football in China you have to have come from money. I suspect it's same in Japan? In other words, it's a privilege to play footy out here, hell they might even pay to play some of them.
The shipyard I was in out in china had its own footy teams like.
Im korea the same, even 0ver 50's teams.Ulsan FCFC O50s had a tour match in Japan, nee language barrier at all.
The lads were just lads not offspring of the rich.
Not sure where all this rich kids and tutoring comes from.

They are actually good lads, well them in the o&g construction game.
The san thing used to crack me up.
Used to be married to a Japanese lady so I learnt all the rude words. San is the equivalent to Mr in Japanese, it's also their number 3. Opai means tits, depa means goofy.

Onakasita desu? I don't, bloody awful food, except Miso chicken and green peppers which I still make sometimes. Okonomiaki and nato are especially revolting.
I stick to the more well known stuff.
Mind once in a hotel I ordered what I thought was a hot pot but was like meat in milk, shan.
The waitress did speak english like.

I'd imagine if it was true it would be one we look at when Burstow returns to Chelsea in the summer? This lad will be away with Japan for Feb/March at the Asia Cup.

Who knows though. Could always bring him in next month with next season in mind and give him some time to get familiar with the place.
We need a striker in january

I would be sending butstow back

Back