Man stuck up 270ft chimney. RIP

My money is on he took the ladder.

Or he’d been abducted by aliens and that’s where he landed when he was transferred back to earth.
I'm pretty sure that if someone is climbing a 200-foot chimney at two in the morning, they're either half cut or off their rocker. Either way, I'm amazed he didn't drop to his death halfway up the ladder

Very weird story this, can't imagine anyone drunk enough to think it was a good idea would have made it to the top. My money is on mental illness, I know the emergency services shouldn't put themselves in situations that are excessively dangerous until they're absolutely read for it, but quite surprised it took them that long to make it up. Then again I know nothing about how these things would work.

Very weird story this, can't imagine anyone drunk enough to think it was a good idea would have made it to the top. My money is on mental illness, I know the emergency services shouldn't put themselves in situations that are excessively dangerous until they're absolutely read for it, but quite surprised it took them that long to make it up. Then again I know nothing about how these things would work.

The elevated platform didn't get there until two (it came from Glasgow) and they were up there by five, so not so long really.

My guess is that he went up to top himself

The elevated platform didn't get there until two (it came from Glasgow) and they were up there by five, so not so long really.

My guess is that he went up to top himself
Wasn't the alarm raised at 2am? Could be wrong mind. Feels like someone could have just climbed up before the platform got there. This isn't meant as a dig at the emergency services, just feels like it could have been avoided, but obviously they shouldn't put themselves excessively in harms way in situations like this.

Wasn't the alarm raised at 2am? Could be wrong mind. Feels like someone could have just climbed up before the platform got there. This isn't meant as a dig at the emergency services, just feels like it could have been avoided, but obviously they shouldn't put themselves excessively in harms way in situations like this.

They could have, but why risk another life, its harsh but the lad has created the situation for himself and cant expect others to put their lives at risk.

They could have, but why risk another life, its harsh but the lad has created the situation for himself and cant expect others to put their lives at risk.
Very true, I'm assuming there was a way to do it safely. Then again I've probably watched too many mental Russians climbing things in the snow.

Harness with 2 lanyards would be simplest way to climb a very high ladder. I'd guess that the ladder itself was condemned and therefore no one was legally allowed to go up it. Hence the request for other equipment. I'd imagine it was pretty difficult even trying to talk to the fella

Harness with 2 lanyards would be simplest way to climb a very high ladder. I'd guess that the ladder itself was condemned and therefore no one was legally allowed to go up it. Hence the request for other equipment. I'd imagine it was pretty difficult even trying to talk to the fella

would make sense, in that case adding climbing equipment would more than likely be far too risky

I can only imagine he had mental issues and froze to death up there poor fucker. I can’t traverse my 15 step stairs really pissed so doubt he was leathered. I wouldn’t get on that cherry picker for all the tea in China, fuck me how rickety does that look.

Would you say the same if it was your dad, brother or son who perhaps had mental illness/depression?

I know what you are saying mate and I often think the same but I would be furious if the emergency services left a family member of mine to die

Last edited:
Would you say the same if it was your dad, brother or son who perhaps had mental illness/depression?

I know what you are saying mate and I often think the same but I would be furious if the emergency services let a family member of mine to die

If was a family member I'd go up myself. But cannot see the value in risking another life otherwise.

Well I went outside for a fag in my shorts and t shirt and it was absolutely f***ing Baltic so can’t even imagine how cold he was hanging up there all night topless

Brutal

Looks from the photos like the ladder was damaged for the top dozen feet, maybe from him hanging off it.

I had a read around this earlier, you can die just from being inverted for so long.

Just goes to show there are idiots everywhere. The tweet embedded in that page from a @naim_asghar blaming Carlisle council for not having the resources for the rescue. The kind of shite @Sid James Park and his band of SFT clowns would come out with.
He must be on the wind up
Tried all sorts-helicopter, etc. No confidence the ladder was strong enough for more people plus fella's leg was wedged behind it so they couldn't risk dislodging it.
More info to come in the morning

Last edited:

Back