making pease pudding - very important thread

I get a tub in Morrisons in Gibraltar every time we go there. Sit watching Safsee on a Saturday eating a please pudding and ham roll. Bliss. Exported from South Shields by the Dickson family, the pork butchers. I went to school with the son. A
Easy to make. Just boil peas in a pan For about half an hour. Really basic

I used to love a pork dip with pease pudding and sage & onion stuffing

I ocassionally make my own and can recommend the addition of very finely chopped celery and a little onion. An Indian friend of mine was convinced that it was dhal which is very similar but cooked with lentils. I wonder if it came to the North East becausue of the coal trade with the Orient

I have always considered pease pudding to be a North Eastern dish you never really find it in the rest of the country although most people have heard of it probably because of the rhyme.

Pease pudding hot
Pease pudding cold
Pease pudding in the pot
Five days old.

I can understand those who dislike pease pudding because it is very easy to make it really badly. They may not have had the good fortune to have found any thay was made properly. Years ago I once made the mistake of buying some tinned pease pudding. It was like eating wallpaper paste and most of it went in to the bin.

Back