Make Me A Winner

Mackem Al

Midfield
Anyone else familiar with this competition on Absolute Radio and other stations in that network?

Basically, they phone someone up every day between 4pm & 5pm and you have to answer within 5 rings and say "Make Me A Winner" to win the cash. Prizes are incredible, i think its around £160,000 at the minute.

The psychology of it all is amazing. The amount of times they ring people and they answer with just a "hello" is unreal. You have to enter by text, email or phone so you know what could be coming and what's at stake. You'll know it's a strange number calling you so how do people manage to fuck this up. Imagine answering "hello" and them telling you "sorry, you would have won £160k if you had only said Make Me A Winner". How do you cope with that? I'd be preparing the noose if i missed out on that much money.

Anyone on here enter it?

It’s on Planet Rock as well. I thought no it covers the whole of the Bauer Radio group. I used to enter on line as it was free, but now they are wanting payment.

Some of us in the office have entered it. We currently have Greatest Hits Radio on which is an ok listen. They get mad when it goes beyond 5 rings, but also are happy because it means nobody won either!

I used to enter when it was free. I stopped playing when they put the charges on.

I have said "make me a winner" to the receptionist at my doctors surgery before 😊
Hahahaha. I get the impression people dont want to embarras themselves by saying "Make Me A Winner" to someone incorrectly. As if somehow saying "hello" and not being pranked or shown up is better than saying "Make Me A Winner" to the competition caller and missing out on the huge prize. You could retire a couple of years earlier with this money. Baffles me how people don't answer correctly.

Played it a few times. Ya're on tenterhooks awaiting a call that never arrives. :lol:

It's clever what they do like. You enter for a couple of quid, then they bombard you with deals to buy more entries. Stuff like 5 entries for a tenner, get another 25 free, just text ENTER or whatever. And ya wind up doing it. The competition runs across numerous stations anarl. They must be absolutely raking it in.

One of the lads at work always answers the phone with Make Me A Winner.

The wife has entered it a couple of times. The call is made between 3-4pm. I rang her at about 2pm once, she answered saying "make me a winner". I had to remind her that it wasn't after 3pm and also that my name would appear on her phone when she answered it!! Not the sharpest at times. :lol:

The wife has entered it a couple of times. The call is made between 3-4pm. I rang her at about 2pm once, she answered saying "make me a winner". I had to remind her that it wasn't after 3pm and also that my name would appear on her phone when she answered it!! Not the sharpest at times. :lol:
Is it bollocks. They say it will be, but they don't half drag it out. It's closer to 6 o'clock usually.

Anyone else familiar with this competition on Absolute Radio and other stations in that network?

Basically, they phone someone up every day between 4pm & 5pm and you have to answer within 5 rings and say "Make Me A Winner" to win the cash. Prizes are incredible, i think its around £160,000 at the minute.

The psychology of it all is amazing. The amount of times they ring people and they answer with just a "hello" is unreal. You have to enter by text, email or phone so you know what could be coming and what's at stake. You'll know it's a strange number calling you so how do people manage to fuck this up. Imagine answering "hello" and them telling you "sorry, you would have won £160k if you had only said Make Me A Winner". How do you cope with that? I'd be preparing the noose if i missed out on that much money.

Anyone on here enter it?
I think it would be pretty easy to say ‘hello’ to be honest when you’ll most likely be busy going about your day or at work so it’ll probably not be on your mind and you’d be on autopilot considering it’s the normal way of answering any call. Like you mind, I’d be distraught if it was me and I said hello instead of make me a winner.

I could be imagining it but I have a vauge memory the Priate radio stations back in the 1960's doing some sort of a "stunt" competition like it.

It's a pretty crude and very old concept for a prize competition. I believe that popular newpapers started it in the early C20th. They would advertise that a mistry man in a bowler hat would be walking around a particular seaside resort with a copy of their newspaper in his hand. If you spotted him you could win a fiver if you had a copy of the newspaper and approached him and said the words "You are "Joe Bloggs" (or whatever name the paper had given him) and I claim my £5" .

I used to enter when it was free. I stopped playing when they put the charges on.

I have said "make me a winner" to the receptionist at my doctors surgery before 😊

I have been known to make a point of ringing my clients around the right time of day to see if I get anyone answering the phone like this. So far no luck.

Back