Mad Keeper - John Osbourne - WBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Striker
Seeing the thread about applauding the oppo keepers etc. Back in the good old 70s at Roker, there was a mad goalie (there were a few mad one John Burridge anyone?) called John Osbourne at West Brom.

I read on the net he was no longer with us, but I remember him being not only a fine keeper, but crackers to boot! - I recall one incident when he got done for exceeding the four steps rule (remember when that was enforced, before they eventually scrapped it?) He spent the rest of the game counting to four before clearing the ball.

Another time he got injured in a challenge with one of our forwards and had his fingers rattled. I recall him grinning at the Roker End as he counted his fingers to make sure they were all there. A proper character, and a throwback to the days goalies could count!

He had a plastic finger didnt he?
He used to win "Quizball" for WBA almost single handedly anarl.

Lets see who remembers "Quizball"!

He had a plastic finger didnt he?
He used to win "Quizball" for WBA almost single handedly anarl.

Lets see who remembers "Quizball"!

Yup - I remember a Sunderland appearance - can't remember which team members were on apart from (I think) Ritchie Pitt. I do recall our 'celeb' team member was a very sullen uninterested obviously-just-there-for-the-money James Bolam.

Yup - I remember a Sunderland appearance - can't remember which team members were on apart from (I think) Ritchie Pitt. I do recall our 'celeb' team member was a very sullen uninterested obviously-just-there-for-the-money James Bolam.

I must of missed that one. I think this is worthy of its own thread. Post on it ffs combo.

Ginger Mick was class (no, not Horsewill).

FFS a quick google search reveals we lost 3-0 to Celtic in the first round of the 69-70 competition.
Len Ashurst, Mick McGivern, Richie Pitt and James Bolam. Useless kernts. I bet MoN wouldve won it on his own.

WBA won the 67-68 tournament with John Osbourne scoring thirteen of their fifteen goals. This was around the time I first got interested in football as a kid, amazing the stuff that sticks in your head: John fuckin Osbourne ffs!

I think Peter Latchford took over from him in WBAs goal, he had one helluva game for WBA at Roker before joining Celtic. I suppose with an older brother like Bob making you go in goal when they were kids youre bound to get good arent you?

Everton 1 Kilmarnock 2 !
Magnus Magnusson guesting for Kilmarnock versus Kenneth Cope for Everton! Mastermind V Randall & Hopkirk!!!!!!

I must of missed that one. I think this is worthy of its own thread. Post on it ffs combo.

:) TBH that's about all I can remember. But even as a kid I could tell Bolam was thinking of sacking his agent the next morning.

:) TBH that's about all I can remember. But even as a kid I could tell Bolam was thinking of sacking his agent the next morning.

Been bugging me all day so pardon my bump, now googled:

Quiz ball 1970
Celtic 3 Cairney 2, Craig
Jim Craig player
Billy McNeill player
Willie Wallace player
John Cairney guest supporter

Sunderland 0
Len Ashurst player
Michael McGiven player
Richard Pitt player
James Bolam guest supporter