Mackday meldrew

AC Mack

Striker
Just a quick pre match stop off in the Harbour View this morning to meet my dad, and watch a bit of cricket. I also had to pick up my Rochdale ticket from the ticket office, and I was in and out in a minute so fair play for that. I've not seen the game back yet but will probably do so shortly.

Player ratings:

McLaughlin - solid all game collecting crosses, didn't have many saves to make and didn't have any major issues or ever look uncomfortable. His/our only issue was goal kicks as their man marking meant he had to punt it long a lot. He targeted a few different areas with limited success, and our players needed to be aware and ready for the second ball. 6.5.

O'Nien - solid and dependable as ever, without having a massive impact. Certainly going forward he didn't see much action, but he made a couple of important interventions in defence. 6.5.

Ozturk - just as dependable as Tuesday night. He's not exceptional at anything but doesn't have too many weaknesses, or at least ones being exposed at the moment. Wins most of his headers, good positioning, no-nonsense on the ball and doesn't take many risks. 7.

Willis - great to see him get a goal, and it might be just what he needs to settle down. I say that because he doesn't seem settled yet and worries me at times. He's very awkward on the ball and doesn't have confidence, and that was shown in the second half when he failed to play the ball back to McLaughlin, seemingly worried he'd fluff it. Good in the air as he seems to have a decent leap. I'm not convinced by him yet but hopefully that'll come. 6.5.

McLaughlin - seems awkward and unnatural at times at left back, shown by some sloppy passes and his failure to deal with their best player, Harness. He settled down as the game progressed but he's not a left back. Good in the air all game. 6.

Leadbitter - my mom although others will disagree. He got stuck in all game, won lots of challenges and generally broke up their play well. He was also positive on the ball and helped us get forward with his passing range. Good corners in general too. 7.5.

Power - another good performance and second half we saw the Power I want to see every week. He was playing like a man possessed at times, getting on the ball and driving us forward. It was great to see. He seemed to link up well with Gooch a fair bit. He needs to keep up that positivity and involvement. 7.

Gooch - completely anonymous most of the first half, but burst into life at times in the second. As I say, he seemed to be linking up well with Power. Overall still probably his quietest game of the season. 6.

Maguire - infuriating as so often is the case. Why does he take so many touches? The good thing was he was heavily involved (and deserves credit for that), which is usually when he's at his best. But he relies on instinct and as soon as he has time, he picks the wrong option. There was one time he peeled off the full back and got into the box driving toward goal, and inexplicably turned back on himself and the chance was gone. He also got himself booked for getting caught out by their full back making a run, putting us under pressure. When he's good he's very good, it's just not very often. Ultimately his goal won us the game, of course. 6.5.

McGeady - quiet in the main with occasional bursts of quality that other players in this league aren't capable of, typified by his assist for the winning goal. Looks to be not far off match fit as he was tracking right up until being brought off. 6.5.

McNulty - put himself about well before getting injured, and his movement off the ball is really useful. 6.5.

Subs:
Wyke - did a really good job when he came on, putting himself about, winning headers, occupying defenders, bringing others into play and generally leading the line well. If he'd done that all game and played a part in any goals he'd have had a higher rating. 6.5.

Hume - sensible substitution after seeing them bring on a fresh right back and seeing both Maguire and McGeady getting booked in similar situations. He did his job well too, helping McLaughlin and getting rid of the danger.

Grigg - special mention to Grigg for the most gutless substitution display you're likely to see. At least look like you're f***ing interested mate.

Got a feeling some of those ratings might divide opinion a bit more than usual.

Ross - credit to him for sticking to the formation which actually suits us, and not changing too much in terms of personnel from Tuesday night. I still think there's a lack of goals in that team but we did the job today.

Crowd - decent atmosphere in the main, not much to report.

Referee - a bit whistle happy for me but not too bad. He got two or three decisions wrong, one each from O'Nien and Wyke that I can remember. He also failed to book their goalscorer for a blatant cynical foul.

Portsmouth - poor. I've seen them five times now in the past few months, and bar 45 minutes at Wembley they've been poor each time. They just don't have much about them. Their right winger Harness caused us problems, as he did (for Burton?) last season. Marquis and Curtis were garbage. Their fans (fair play for travelling) only seemed to want to goad us a bit, but you never heard them after we equalised.

Just a quick pre match stop off in the Harbour View this morning to meet my dad, and watch a bit of cricket. I also had to pick up my Rochdale ticket from the ticket office, and I was in and out in a minute so fair play for that. I've not seen the game back yet but will probably do so shortly.

Player ratings:

McLaughlin - solid all game collecting crosses, didn't have many saves to make and didn't have any major issues or ever look uncomfortable. His/our only issue was goal kicks as their man marking meant he had to punt it long a lot. He targeted a few different areas with limited success, and our players needed to be aware and ready for the second ball. 6.5.

O'Nien - solid and dependable as ever, without having a massive impact. Certainly going forward he didn't see much action, but he made a couple of important interventions in defence. 6.5.

Ozturk - just as dependable as Tuesday night. He's not exceptional at anything but doesn't have too many weaknesses, or at least ones being exposed at the moment. Wins most of his headers, good positioning, no-nonsense on the ball and doesn't take many risks. 7.

Willis - great to see him get a goal, and it might be just what he needs to settle down. I say that because he doesn't seem settled yet and worries me at times. He's very awkward on the ball and doesn't have confidence, and that was shown in the second half when he failed to play the ball back to McLaughlin, seemingly worried he'd fluff it. Good in the air as he seems to have a decent leap. I'm not convinced by him yet but hopefully that'll come. 6.5.

McLaughlin - seems awkward and unnatural at times at left back, shown by some sloppy passes and his failure to deal with their best player, Harness. He settled down as the game progressed but he's not a left back. Good in the air all game. 6.

Leadbitter - my mom although others will disagree. He got stuck in all game, won lots of challenges and generally broke up their play well. He was also positive on the ball and helped us get forward with his passing range. Good corners in general too. 7.5.

Power - another good performance and second half we saw the Power I want to see every week. He was playing like a man possessed at times, getting on the ball and driving us forward. It was great to see. He seemed to link up well with Gooch a fair bit. He needs to keep up that positivity and involvement. 7.

Gooch - completely anonymous most of the first half, but burst into life at times in the second. As I say, he seemed to be linking up well with Power. Overall still probably his quietest game of the season. 6.

Maguire - infuriating as so often is the case. Why does he take so many touches? The good thing was he was heavily involved (and deserves credit for that), which is usually when he's at his best. But he relies on instinct and as soon as he has time, he picks the wrong option. There was one time he peeled off the full back and got into the box driving toward goal, and inexplicably turned back on himself and the chance was gone. He also got himself booked for getting caught out by their full back making a run, putting us under pressure. When he's good he's very good, it's just not very often. Ultimately his goal won us the game, of course. 6.5.

McGeady - quiet in the main with occasional bursts of quality that other players in this league aren't capable of, typified by his assist for the winning goal. Looks to be not far off match fit as he was tracking right up until being brought off. 6.5.

McNulty - put himself about well before getting injured, and his movement off the ball is really useful. 6.5.

Subs:
Wyke - did a really good job when he came on, putting himself about, winning headers, occupying defenders, bringing others into play and generally leading the line well. If he'd done that all game and played a part in any goals he'd have had a higher rating. 6.5.

Hume - sensible substitution after seeing them bring on a fresh right back and seeing both Maguire and McGeady getting booked in similar situations. He did his job well too, helping McLaughlin and getting rid of the danger.

Grigg - special mention to Grigg for the most gutless substitution display you're likely to see. At least look like you're f***ing interested mate.

Got a feeling some of those ratings might divide opinion a bit more than usual.

Ross - credit to him for sticking to the formation which actually suits us, and not changing too much in terms of personnel from Tuesday night. I still think there's a lack of goals in that team but we did the job today.

Crowd - decent atmosphere in the main, not much to report.

Referee - a bit whistle happy for me but not too bad. He got two or three decisions wrong, one each from O'Nien and Wyke that I can remember. He also failed to book their goalscorer for a blatant cynical foul.

Portsmouth - poor. I've seen them five times now in the past few months, and bar 45 minutes at Wembley they've been poor each time. They just don't have much about them. Their right winger Harness caused us problems, as he did (for Burton?) last season. Marquis and Curtis were garbage. Their fans (fair play for travelling) only seemed to want to goad us a bit, but you never heard them after we equalised.
Spot on . Especially with grigg 10 grand a week and can't be arsed so frustrating

A very tidy player who usually doesn't have much of a positive impact. However he was my mom against Oxford.

Fair enough. Think you've been a little harsh on Maguire. Was involved in everything and constantly giving them problems. Even winning headers against their CB's at times. Yellow was worth taking imo. He was shattered by that point and was this job to be getting back into that position anyway. Rather the free kick than them bursting into the box and getting a ball across (like the goal he scored).

Thought McLaughlin was a 7. Excellent save to deny Leadbitter a ridiculous own goal and commanded his area. Was outstanding with balls into the box.

Leadbitter for me was a 6. Good moments and bad. Spent 5 minutes of the second half just kicking the ball vertically up in the air. Chased but was slow. Passing was hot and miss. Almost so red an OG by diving for a ball he couldn't reach.

Also though lt Willis was the better of the two (mainly due to goal as performance otherwise was very similar).

Rest spot on imo.
Negative, delighted he is injured. We look far more balanced and attacking without the crab.

Strange.

Fair enough. Think you've been a little harsh on Maguire. Was involved in everything and constantly giving them problems. Even winning headers against their CB's at times. Yellow was worth taking imo. He was shattered by that point and was this job to be getting back into that position anyway. Rather the free kick than them bursting into the box and getting a ball across (like the goal he scored).

Thought McLaughlin was a 7. Excellent save to deny Leadbitter a ridiculous own goal and commanded his area. Was outstanding with balls into the box.

Leadbitter for me was a 6. Good moments and bad. Spent 5 minutes of the second half just kicking the ball vertically up in the air. Chased but was slow. Passing was hot and miss. Almost so red an OG by diving for a ball he couldn't reach.

Also though lt Willis was the better of the two (mainly due to goal as performance otherwise was very similar).

Rest spot on imo.

My analysis of his performance came across more negative than it was meant. He was a nuisance for much of the game and his rating was in line with the rest of the team I thought. His booking was poor on his part because he switched off initially and put himself into that position.

Nothing strange about it.

We've scored 5 goals and conceded 2 in the last 2 games without McGeouch.

The previous 2 games, we scored 2 (from only 2 on target) and conceded 2. We have looked far better overall and those stats back that up.

We've also started with Mcgeady and Maguire in those games, and played a differenr system that suits the players so not sure how you are pinning all that on a Leadbitter.
My analysis of his performance came across more negative than it was meant. He was a nuisance for much of the game and his rating was in line with the rest of the team I thought. His booking was poor on his part because he switched off initially and put himself into that position.

Fair enough. Motm for me today. Did fade towards the end but looked out on his feet ten mins before he was taken off.

Last edited:
Nothing strange about it.

We've scored 5 goals and conceded 2 in the last 2 games without McGeouch.

The previous 2 games, we scored 2 (from only 2 on target) and conceded 2. We have looked far better overall and those stats back that up.
I’d say that’s been because of the formation so unfair to compare.

We've also started with Mcgeady and Maguire in those games, and played a differenr system that suits the players so not sure how you are pinning all that on a Leadbitter.

I'm not pinning everything on Leadbitter. I thought he played well and delivered a quality ball into the box from which we scored. That said plenty of credit to Willis who out jumped 3 defenders.

We had a decent spell 2nd half when pushed Pompey back into their own half. That is my idea of positive play when ahead. I seriously doubt we would have done that with the keep ball crab McGeouch in midfield. I'm delighted he is no longer starting.
I’d say that’s been because of the formation so unfair to compare.

Partly formation I agree.

Cheers Mack.
Good report

My MOTM was also Leadbitter.

McLaughlin's diving save, to prevent a headed own goal from Leadbitter iirc, was excellent.

Particularly agree with comments regarding Maguire, overdoing it, and Gooch being very quiet in the first half.

McGeady still looks to be lacking in fitness, and had a quiet game today.

I thought Charlie Wyke did a canny job in leading the line, when he came on in the 2nd half.
He got stuck in, and gave the Pompey defence, plenty to think about.

I really want Grigg to be hit here, but for whatever reason, it's just not happening for him.

I was very happy that Pompey posed such little threat in front of goal.
They started the game and ended the game brightly, and on the front foot, but in between, they showed little to suggest they'll finish in the top two.

The ref was indeed, whistle happy, and didn't give the game, a chance to flow.

Both teams looked decidedly average in the first half, but we knuckled down in the 2nd half, and mainly controlled the game, until Pompey had a spell of pressure in the last 10 minutes or so.

All in all, a very welcome win and 3 points, against a disappointing Portsmouth team.

I'm not pinning everything on Leadbitter. I thought he played well and delivered a quality ball into the box from which we scored. That said plenty of credit to Willis who out jumped 3 defenders.

We had a decent spell 2nd half when pushed Pompey back into their own half. That is my idea of positive play when ahead. I seriously doubt we would have done that with the keep ball crab McGeouch in midfield. I'm delighted he is no longer starting.

Partly formation I agree.

You've just said the goals scored and conceded were down to Leadbitter playing though. Despite there being 5/6 changes in personnel and a total change in system?

Thought Wyke was excellent when he came on
Also think your being kind to Grigg
People keep saying we should play to his strengths I'm sure we would if we had any idea what they were

Grigg really needs to get interested or fuck off (not that anyone would want him like). I can absolutely understand strikers going through a difficult patch, but even when Altidore and Graham were doing shite (basically the whole time they were here) at least they were working and trying to make things happen. Grigg is coming on fresh and still not closing down. Think he closed down once, straight after coming on, then seemed to decide he couldn't be fucked any more. His lack of interest is really starting to piss me off. McNulty shows how much of a difference it can make just getting involved, Wyke worked his bollocks off, then that twat comes on like he's doing us a favour. Almost every player is giving their all, and he's strolling around doing fuck all. Hope it "clicks" for him soon but it won't unless he actually works

Grant (Gwaahhnt) is your American mother?
Grigg really needs to get interested or fuck off (not that anyone would want him like). I can absolutely understand strikers going through a difficult patch, but even when Altidore and Graham were doing shite (basically the whole time they were here) at least they were working and trying to make things happen. Grigg is coming on fresh and still not closing down. Think he closed down once, straight after coming on, then seemed to decide he couldn't be fucked any more. His lack of interest is really starting to piss me off. McNulty shows how much of a difference it can make just getting involved, Wyke worked his bollocks off, then that twat comes on like he's doing us a favour. Almost every player is giving their all, and he's strolling around doing fuck all. Hope it "clicks" for him soon but it won't unless he actually works
I keep thinking he'll come good, but it's looking increasingly unlikely, Guinness, la. It's dangerous territory to infer too much from one's observations (nee one nars what's garn on in the lad's mind, bar, possibly, the lad hissel) but I think it's fair to say he's not looking the part. He looks a bit arse hivvy to me; a bit sluggish. The jury's been out for a canny while & the judge is about to direct a majority verdict....

Last edited:
Very pleased with Ozturk and Willis, they may not be the best, but they will defend and then defend a bit more.

That's my tuppence worth, but I agree with everything you've written

Back