Mackday Meldrew - Queens Park Rangers

I’m not sure he knew too much about the two obvious saves which QPR should have done better with tbh, also I think he miss-judged the shot that hit the crossbar, I think he left it thinking it was going over. I’m still not convinced by him but he’s the best we have I suppose.

can you just explain what you mean here please?

Number of people involved in scouting and signing players. Data analyst, to scout, to head scout, Speakman etc.

Number of people involved in scouting and signing players. Data analyst, to scout, to head scout, Speakman etc.

Just related to your post (I know not the point you were making like).

The data they’ll have to analyse for most of these players can surely only be from a really small sample and from a standard of football that is not at all comparative with the level they’re then required to play at once recruited. It really shows as well.

The success stories of our recruitment have nearly all been players with somewhat of a career in England already. The ones who haven’t (and therefore can’t have been properly data analysed or scouted) have predominantly been unfit for purpose.

There was another occasion where Hamir robbed their central defender and was through. I was screaming for him to just run at goal, but ha just dallied and lost it.

That has to be one of the worst games I've ever sat through. I know we've got injuries but deary me, abysmal.

I didn't think there was too much wrong with our shape as such. We progressed fairly naturally from a back three with the ball to a back four without, which made sense considering the personnel. Mundle and Styles played as wingers in possession, with Styles dropping to full back without the ball and Hume shifting back out wide. We then had a box midfield with Neil, Bellingham, Aouchiche and Ba.

The problem, as usual, was how passive we were with the ball, never looking to take the initiative and get is moving forward quickly, with the exception of Aouchiche and Mundle at times first half. It was a plodding performance. There was one moment in particular when Ba had the ball with a clear counter attacking opportunity - it was begging for us to move quickly, however Ba, Hemir and a couple of others never got beyond a jog, and the attack just fizzled out.

Our passing was shite, decision making awful, and the whole team just look bereft of confidence and creativity, with the possible exception of Neil.

Second half was no better. We shifted things straight away with Bellingham playing higher alongside Aouchiche, and we attacked in more of a 3-1-6, with Neil on his own in defensive midfield. But we didn't really give this chance, as Dodds hooked both Ba and Hemir. I can't blame him as they both dire, but we didn't give the new shape any chance to see if it was working. He might as well have made the changes at half time.

Despite keeping a clean sheet I thought we were nervy and indecisive at the back throughout, particularly in possession where nobody had the confidence to get us up the field. Far too many chuckle brothers 'to me, to you' followed by a panic and hoof upfield.

The saving grace for today is it ends our losing streak, and we're a game closer to the end of the season. But overall we're weak as piss at the moment and going nowhere fast.

Patterson - made about four saves, two of which were very good in either half. A bit shaky with his distribution. 7

Hume - gets plaudits as he's one of the few who looks like he wants to be in a battle, and puts himself about. 6

Ballard - some sloppy moments in possession but generally okay. 6

Hjelde - a bomb scare in possession. He dallies, turns back inside, goes back on the outside, all whilst his options are running out. Then just hoofs it anywhere. Or to be more exact, straight to the opposition. Their big lad that came on caused our centre backs all sorts of problems. But you know, clean sheet so every cloud. 4

Styles - I thought he was meant to be good on the ball? Looked almost as bad as Hjelde at times and like a fish out of water. Made a few off the ball runs I suppose. 4

Neil - kept things ticking over well, and got us up the pitch with some lovely vision and passing at times. 7

Bellingham - same old story, why go forward when you can go back? All afternoon it happened. Just spin, man. 5

Mundle - looked okay first half on the right. He managed to get on the outside of the full back and put a couple of balls in from the byline. Pretty anonymous after the break when he moved to the left. We can't be having a goal threat now, can we? 6

Aouchiche - lively first half in particular and was positive on the ball. Didn't get everything right and is as soft as the others but worth persevering with from the start at the moment. 6

Ba - awful. Never looked like a footballer all afternoon. 2

Hemir - see above. At least Ba has shown flashes. This lad doesn't look like a professional footballer, and his attitude doesn't seem much better. Complete waster. 2

Subs - it's hard to tell with Rigg being over the end of the pitch to me, but he put himself about a bit despite being out of position. Ekwah showed a bit of urgency at times.

QPR - as poor as we were in terms of quality (ie very little) but you could probably put their performance down as gritty, and they could have scored two or three, unlike us. Armstrong caused us plenty of problems by repeating the same run about four times.

Hope that doesn't come across overly harsh.
Think your scoring and commentary re ba was unfair, he would be lucky to get zero imho and will never make it at this level while Dodds is in charge. I’m sure there’s a footballer in there, Mowbray found it on occasion, I’m sure a decent coach will do the same. Great summary btw m8

He’s very two footed so is a threat on the cut in

He hasn’t played much centrally for us, so it’s no surprise his best performances have been out wide.

I’d like to see him centrally at some point as I think his ability with both feet would open up lots of turning and passing options

He’s raw but I like him. Works hard

I really enjoy your Meldrews
Ba - really. Were you watching a different game to the rest of us?

Which bit do you disagree with? He was shit yesterday yes. I’m talking about him more generally as a player, no rating yesterdays game
Fair enough on yesterday’s game but I disagree he’s any better playing inside, as he’s played centrally before and done very little. He’s got a bit of skill but that’s about it for me.
Gets knocked off the ball too easily, plays with no urgency at all, and his decision making is terrible.

Good account that. How the fuck have we got into a positon after last season where we are reliant on a failed central midfielder with no brain as one of our main attacking outlets, who manages to deliver a piece of quality once every 50 times he tries something. a 20 year old with an average record from Benfica B as our striker and an 18 year old shoe horned in anywhere to give him gametime.

People seriously thought we'd improved the squad until two months ago as well, without even looking at what we were signing or where from.

Club has shown no indications over the past 18 months of actually trying to strengthen the first team with some ready made players - arguably with Rusyn but it was still a large gamble. yet people think they will if we sell Clarke, Neil or Ballard.

These muppets have absolutely had their bacon saved by two good transfer windows and then by Alex Neil and then Tony Mowbray and have absolutely been found out now.
Fair enough on yesterday’s game but I disagree he’s any better playing inside, as he’s played centrally before and done very little. He’s got a bit of skill but that’s about it for me.
Gets knocked off the ball too easily, plays with no urgency at all, and his decision making is terrible.
He's got no brain, no final ball and his decisions and thought are consistently crap. Hasn't really got the ability to play inside, the reasoning behind him playing left is likely to limit his lack of delivery or cleverness when playing centrally on his normal foot or on the right and he could in theory get into dangerous areas and shoot or play a more simple ball cutting inside as well as having the pace to beat a man on the outside, but he's as infuriating there as anywhere.

His physique and occasional trickery gets him into dangerous positions with some regularly but there simply isn't a footballer there. Even when playing inside he's only of any use on the break with wide open spaces to run in.
There was another occasion where Hamir robbed their central defender and was through. I was screaming for him to just run at goal, but ha just dallied and lost it.

He was up against a 32 gear old lacking pace wasn't he?

Didn't have the confidence to just run into space and back himself against centre halves, almost Burstow like. Stopped, checked and tried to get the ball under control, looked for a pass right and lost it. Absolutely hopeless.

Last edited:
Good account that. How the fuck have we got into a positon after last season where we are reliant on a failed central midfielder with no brain as one of our main attacking outlets, who manages to deliver a piece of quality once every 50 times he tries something. a 20 year old with an average record from Benfica B as our striker and an 18 year old shoe horned in anywhere to give him gametime.

People seriously thought we'd improved the squad until two months ago as well, without even looking at what we were signing or where from.

Club has shown no indications over the past 18 months of actually trying to strengthen the first team with some ready made players - arguably with Rusyn but it was still a large gamble. yet people think they will if we sell Clarke, Neil or Ballard.

These muppets have absolutely had their bacon saved by two good transfer windows and then by Alex Neil and then Tony Mowbray and have absolutely been found out now.

He's got no brain, no final ball and his decisions and thought are consistently crap. Hasn't really got the ability to play inside, the reasoning behind him playing left is likely to limit his lack of delivery or cleverness when playing centrally on his normal foot or on the right and he could in theory get into dangerous areas and shoot or play a more simple ball cutting inside as well as having the pace to beat a man on the outside, but he's as infuriating there as anywhere.

His physique and occasional trickery gets him into dangerous positions with some regularly but there simply isn't a footballer there. Even when playing inside he's only of any use on the break with wide open spaces to run in.

He was up against a 32 gear old lacking pace wasn't he?

Didn't have the confidence to just run into space and back himself against centre halves, almost Burstow like. Stopped, checked and tried to get the ball under control, looked for a pass right and lost it. Absolutely hopeless.
I am absolutely terrified at the thought of Speakman getting full-reign with the Clarke money.

The £8m for Stewart appears to have disappeared into a soup of L1 and below quality.

I’m not sure he knew too much about the two obvious saves which QPR should have done better with tbh, also I think he miss-judged the shot that hit the crossbar, I think he left it thinking it was going over. I’m still not convinced by him but he’s the best we have I suppose.

can you just explain what you mean here please?
Nah watch the highlights patto made some very good saves in both halves plus it was a fluke cross that hit the crossbar not a shot

I am absolutely terrified at the thought of Speakman getting full-reign with the Clarke money.

The £8m for Stewart appears to have disappeared into a soup of L1 and below quality.

I've been critical of Jobe (who was signed before that money was available anyway). But at least he is 18, has contributed in some way, is physically suited and and he has bits in his game which suggest he has the capabilities of becoming a good player and on occasions has shown it, but he's being over used. Many of the others have had fees and wages invested in them and have shown almost nothing.

I've been critical of Jobe (who was signed before that money was available anyway). But at least he is 18, has contributed in some way, is physically suited and and he has bits in his game which suggest he has the capabilities of becoming a good player and on occasions has shown it, but he's being over used. Many of the others have had fees and wages invested in them and have shown almost nothing.
Realistically, Jobe Bellingham will have a bright future in the game if he works on his weaknesses. He seems to have the right attitude to do that, unlike Hemir. We've had Neil, Mowbray, Beale and now even Speakman's favourite student, Dodds, publicly saying that we absolutely need some proper help in the squad, particularly up front.

I don't think Speakman can hide any longer. He's been asleep at the wheel for well over a year now and it's looking like he's run out of targets and ideas. Between him and the recruitment team, they really don't seem to have a clue on how to pick out a player with serious potential. If I was KLD, I'd be seriously questioning whether to give him the run of the summer to try and redeem things because that team we put out yesterday is largely Speakman's creation and is absolutely going to get relegated next year. I have very little doubt about that.

Fans are not experts but those of us who've been watching the game for decades know what a decent player looks like and also what a kid with no interest looks like. God knows we've had our fair share of them in a red and white shirt over the years.

Two serious, experienced strikers is non-negotiable before August before anything else gets addressed. I'm sadly not all that hopeful that we'll get them.

Last edited:
That has to be one of the worst games I've ever sat through. I know we've got injuries but deary me, abysmal.

I didn't think there was too much wrong with our shape as such. We progressed fairly naturally from a back three with the ball to a back four without, which made sense considering the personnel. Mundle and Styles played as wingers in possession, with Styles dropping to full back without the ball and Hume shifting back out wide. We then had a box midfield with Neil, Bellingham, Aouchiche and Ba.

The problem, as usual, was how passive we were with the ball, never looking to take the initiative and get is moving forward quickly, with the exception of Aouchiche and Mundle at times first half. It was a plodding performance. There was one moment in particular when Ba had the ball with a clear counter attacking opportunity - it was begging for us to move quickly, however Ba, Hemir and a couple of others never got beyond a jog, and the attack just fizzled out.

Our passing was shite, decision making awful, and the whole team just look bereft of confidence and creativity, with the possible exception of Neil.

Second half was no better. We shifted things straight away with Bellingham playing higher alongside Aouchiche, and we attacked in more of a 3-1-6, with Neil on his own in defensive midfield. But we didn't really give this chance, as Dodds hooked both Ba and Hemir. I can't blame him as they both dire, but we didn't give the new shape any chance to see if it was working. He might as well have made the changes at half time.

Despite keeping a clean sheet I thought we were nervy and indecisive at the back throughout, particularly in possession where nobody had the confidence to get us up the field. Far too many chuckle brothers 'to me, to you' followed by a panic and hoof upfield.

The saving grace for today is it ends our losing streak, and we're a game closer to the end of the season. But overall we're weak as piss at the moment and going nowhere fast.

Patterson - made about four saves, two of which were very good in either half. A bit shaky with his distribution. 7

Hume - gets plaudits as he's one of the few who looks like he wants to be in a battle, and puts himself about. 6

Ballard - some sloppy moments in possession but generally okay. 6

Hjelde - a bomb scare in possession. He dallies, turns back inside, goes back on the outside, all whilst his options are running out. Then just hoofs it anywhere. Or to be more exact, straight to the opposition. Their big lad that came on caused our centre backs all sorts of problems. But you know, clean sheet so every cloud. 4

Styles - I thought he was meant to be good on the ball? Looked almost as bad as Hjelde at times and like a fish out of water. Made a few off the ball runs I suppose. 4

Neil - kept things ticking over well, and got us up the pitch with some lovely vision and passing at times. 7

Bellingham - same old story, why go forward when you can go back? All afternoon it happened. Just spin, man. 5

Mundle - looked okay first half on the right. He managed to get on the outside of the full back and put a couple of balls in from the byline. Pretty anonymous after the break when he moved to the left. We can't be having a goal threat now, can we? 6

Aouchiche - lively first half in particular and was positive on the ball. Didn't get everything right and is as soft as the others but worth persevering with from the start at the moment. 6

Ba - awful. Never looked like a footballer all afternoon. 2

Hemir - see above. At least Ba has shown flashes. This lad doesn't look like a professional footballer, and his attitude doesn't seem much better. Complete waster. 2

Subs - it's hard to tell with Rigg being over the end of the pitch to me, but he put himself about a bit despite being out of position. Ekwah showed a bit of urgency at times.

QPR - as poor as we were in terms of quality (ie very little) but you could probably put their performance down as gritty, and they could have scored two or three, unlike us. Armstrong caused us plenty of problems by repeating the same run about four times.

Hope that doesn't come across overly harsh.

The lack of urgency is deliberate. It’s been the same all season, with varying degrees of quality: Mowbray > Beale > Dodds.

The only constant is Dodds and I cannot wait for him to fuck off. And Speakman too, who presumably has a hand in it.

I don’t know what they were watching last year to think this would be an improvement. I’d say it must have been a different game, but I mean - it is isn’t it? Last years style was night and f***ing day.

We know they have it in them, so the coaching has to be the reason. Counting down the days till Dodds fucks off. Total fraud.
Enough to pay for Kieffer Moore's wages for a bit of a push up the table.

Hjelde is absolute toss. His kick into touch today where he played himself into trouble was embarrassing.

Why the fuck would Moore come here man? It’s not a credible counterfactual.

Mind, we should have just burnt the money rather than buy Helde. At least we’d have saved 20p on the heating for a moment or two.

Last edited:

Back