LVCC D1 - Warwickshire v Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starts Wednesday.

Richardson in for Smith please.

I think you could be right if Smiths ankle is still bad.

But if Smith has recovered in time I don't think it's right to drop him after one game.

As we won the last match, I would stick with the same XI assuming no injuries.

If Smith is out though I would also prefer Richo to replace him.

I think you could be right if Smiths ankle is still bad.

But if Smith has recovered in time I don't think it's right to drop him after one game.

It's no secret I don't rate him at all. Granted it isn't fair to judge him on one performance but to be fair I'm not, I'm judging him on the fact his average isn't really up to the standards it should be at this level. I just feel Durham have a tendency to always give players far too many chances. See Muchall as another example of this.

Richardson deserves a chance, if he comes in and has four or five poor games then know he wasn't the answer and look elsewhere.

I just don't see what Smith offers the team, especially at 3.

It's no secret I don't rate him at all. Granted it isn't fair to judge him on one performance but to be fair I'm not, I'm judging him on the fact his average isn't really up to the standards it should be at this level. I just feel Durham have a tendency to always give players far too many chances. See Muchall as another example of this.

Richardson deserves a chance, if he comes in and has four or five poor games then know he wasn't the answer and look elsewhere.

I just don't see what Smith offers the team, especially at 3.

I rate Richardson as a cricketer and think he deserves a chance too, but you can't pick a team to start the season and begin dropping players after one game, what sort of message does that send out?

When Richardson gets his chance, it will be solely as a batter, and I'm guessing that with the number of overs Smith bowled in the Uni game that he may be in the management minds as a back up bowler to Borthwick.

I would like to see Richardson batting at number 7 with Mustard moving up to 6 but that seems unlikely as Colly now seems adamant that the number 6 spot is his preferred position.

I rate Richardson as a cricketer and think he deserves a chance too, but you can't pick a team to start the season and begin dropping players after one game, what sort of message does that send out?

When Richardson gets his chance, it will be solely as a batter, and I'm guessing that with the number of overs Smith bowled in the Uni game that he may be in the management minds as a back up bowler to Borthwick.

I would like to see Richardson batting at number 7 with Mustard moving up to 6 but that seems unlikely as Colly now seems adamant that the number 6 spot is his preferred position.

I'd rather have Breese as a second spinner to be honest. As for Colly, he should bat 3 for me.

I'd rather have Breese as a second spinner to be honest. As for Colly, he should bat 3 for me.

Thats where he should be batting as a proven international batsmen but it is not going to happen.
What i don't understand is the change of heart before the university match. The indications towards the end of last season and before the start of this was that Jennings and Richardson would get the first chance to bat in the top three and that patience had run out for Smth and Muchall.
If they now don't fancy Richardson as a top order player then our options to replace Smith are very limited. I might be wrong but i believe the only other player we have in the squad who is a top order batsmen is Rammy Singh who looking at his record on cricket archive has been opening the batting for the Academy for the past 4 seasons and also played for England u19s as a top order batsmen. I have never seen him play and do not know how close he is to the first team.
The only other thing they could do is try Mustard or Borthwick at 3. But surely Richardson deserves a chance first.

I've been lucky enough to have been able to watch a lot of cricket over the last few years now, 1sts, seconds and academy and at the moment I can't see any outstanding candidate for the number 3 spot. There's a lot of good cricketers at the club, but the number 3 spot for me is the hardest place to fill, sometimes they are in straight away and sometimes (not often with Durham now) they might be sitting about a while. It's a hard one, and anyone doing it is on hiding to nothing, look at Muchall last year, he looked like a walking wicket everytime he walked out to the crease in the end, he deserves some credit for sticking at it even if his scores were poor.
I really hope things change on the overseas player front, and someone comes available that Durham can afford and who can do the job, but that's more in hope than expectation for now.

I've been lucky enough to have been able to watch a lot of cricket over the last few years now, 1sts, seconds and academy and at the moment I can't see any outstanding candidate for the number 3 spot. There's a lot of good cricketers at the club, but the number 3 spot for me is the hardest place to fill, sometimes they are in straight away and sometimes (not often with Durham now) they might be sitting about a while. It's a hard one, and anyone doing it is on hiding to nothing, look at Muchall last year, he looked like a walking wicket everytime he walked out to the crease in the end, he deserves some credit for sticking at it even if his scores were poor.
I really hope things change on the overseas player front, and someone comes available that Durham can afford and who can do the job, but that's more in hope than expectation for now.

Harry do we have any player in the academy who could burst though and make an impact in the first team.
Sadly i have hardly ever watched them play over the past few seasons. I remember seeing Stokes play for the Academy in the season he went on to make his one day debut for Durham and he looked outstanding.

Harry do we have any player in the academy who could burst though and make an impact in the first team.
Sadly i have hardly ever watched them play over the past few seasons. I remember seeing Stokes play for the Academy in the season he went on to make his one day debut for Durham and he looked outstanding.

Going off last season for me the obvious lads expected to take the next step up are, Coughlin, Pringle, Clark and Singh. A lot of the academy lads played in the seconds throughout last season but a lot of the home games were cut short or off altogether with the weather so it was hard to really judge any of them from that. I think we might see the Durham Uni player Bishnoi play in some second team games this year, and possibly the Zimbabwe lad Chani who's signed for sunderland this season.

My apologies, it's Chari not Chani.

The squad for the Warks game traveled this morning (Tues) so it must have been picked Mon lunchtime after training at the latest, it's now Tues afternoon and it's still on on the Durham website.
The info supporters get via the club website is poor at best.

Both openers gone now

And we are and whats more got them at 49 for 2 good start.

Early to tell, but I reckon the pitch good provide runs if the sun comes out tomorrow

*could provide runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back