Luxembourg - would you bother?

jcrossan

Striker
We're visiting Paris yet again - poor us, I know - in a few weeks and wondered if its worth taking a day or overnight trip to Luxembourg.

It's a place I've never thought about much, but just out of curiosity thought it might be fun, only two hours away by the French rail system. I know we could go to other places but it just seemed a bit different for an overnight or day trip.

Anyone have any tips on what to do, where to stay, eat etc, if we do bother? Or is it boring?

We're visiting Paris yet again - poor us, I know - in a few weeks and wondered if its worth taking a day or overnight trip to Luxembourg.

It's a place I've never thought about much, but just out of curiosity thought it might be fun, only two hours away by the French rail system. I know we could go to other places but it just seemed a bit different for an overnight or day trip.

Anyone have any tips on what to do, where to stay, eat etc, if we do bother? Or is it boring?
Careful of the bed bugs in Paris - I’ve just been reading about them on the BBC website

We went for a couple of days in the late 90s and I genuinely cannot remember anything about it other that restaurants served horse meat steaks.

I was there about 3 weeks ago for 4 days. Beautiful little country, lots of trees and general greenery. Hired a car for 2 and a half days and explored Vianden, Chervaux, Schengen and the Mullerthal trail. Vianden in particular is a very beautiful place with the fairytale castle perched on top of the hill.

Easy enough to navigate, the country is tiny, can drive from top to bottom in less than an hour and a half. Then dropped the car off at the airport and went to the capital for a day and a half.

Public transport is free to use throughout the country. Very convenient in the capital, less so outside due to frequency of service.

It's pretty pricey on the budget food and accommodation wise for what you get. I generally measure how expensive a place is on the cost of a fridge magnet. They were generally going for €5-6 in most places.

Most people were speaking French or German when I was there. Was a bit strange going to one shop and somebody would speak to you in French, then the restaurant round the corner, the waitress was speaking to me in German.

The capital is also beautiful, easy enough to navigate and get a good overview of the place in a day. Lovely parks and buildings, there's an upper part of town and a lower part of town. There didn't seem to be many ways to get from higher to lower and vice versa by foot. Noticed a couple of staircases, and there's also a glass elevator (tourist attraction in itself) which takes you down used by tourists and locals alike.

One thing I would advise if you're staying overnight or renting a car is to book a little bit in advance. I rocked up at the airport and the 6 car rental desks barely had a car between them. There also didn't seem to be many places to stay the day before at affordable prices or a decent rating. Ended up kipping in Germany 1 night and France the next when I had the car. Equivalent accommodation was literally half the price.

But don't let that put you off. It's a canny place to visit

They make Lux soap there……… possibly.

or lightbulbs maybe.

I would stay in Paris and have a riot or a revolution.

Don't go on a Monday, It's shut.
If you go you get your hair cut at Ryanhair and play crazy golf in the valley.
Better off visiting Nantes or Brussels

Last edited:
Luxembourg is worth a visit in its own right but a day or even overnight trip from Paris probably isn’t worth it. It’s a 4 hour round trip from Paris Gare de l’Est on the TGV and you’d be limiting yourself as to what you can see. Metz is on the same line and is only an hour from Paris. This is worth seeing and less of a trek. Trips to Vianden and the wine region are nice but those are day trips for the locals not part of a whistle stop tour in one day.

Luxembourg is worth a visit in its own right but a day or even overnight trip from Paris probably isn’t worth it. It’s a 4 hour round trip from Paris Gare de l’Est on the TGV and you’d be limiting yourself as to what you can see. Metz is on the same line and is only an hour from Paris. This is worth seeing and less of a trek. Trips to Vianden and the wine region are nice but those are day trips for the locals not part of a whistle stop tour in one day.
My wife has friends in Longwy and that's who we were staying with when we went to Luxembourg.
I'm guessing you live there from the user name?

We stopped there for a couple of nights when driving back from Austria in the summer. The centre is spectacular and the main sights can be walked round in a couple of hours. Food and drink is expensive. As has already been said, all public transport is free so we stayed near the airport and used the regular buses into the centre. I was glad we went and the centre was worth seeing but probably not somewhere I would bother going back to.
I generally measure how expensive a place is on the cost of a fridge magnet. They were generally going for €5-6 in most places.
I generally measure how expensive a place is on the cost of the beer. Half a litre was about €7 where we were drinking.

Last edited:

Back