Luke O'Nien 250th Appearance

Not even counting Luke ( not sure why we wouldn’t like but still) we have 4 centre half’s. That’s before trying to develop someone like crompton. If we buy 2 more centre half’s you probably make Triantis 7th choice.
I know nothing about these centre half's have they had game time, other than the lad who played against Leeds who did well.

Minutes played in a Sunderland shirt

Days Luke O’Nien has spent on Wearside since signing in July 2018

Minutes on average Luke has scored a goal for Sunderland

Starts in a Sunderland shirt in all competitions

Appearances in League One for Sunderland

Clean sheets in all competitions for Sunderland

Appearances in the Championship for Sunderland

Substitute appearances for Sunderland in all competitions

Goals scored for Sunderland across all competitions

Assists for Sunderland across all competitions

Is the squad Luke has had for the entirety of his Sunderland career

Appearances in play-off games across Championship and League One

Trophies won for Sunderland. The EFL Trophy and the League One Play-Offs.

There is only one… Luke O’Nien

Love luke me. Brilliant attitude and obviously really enjoys playing for us. Hope he stay here til he retires. Really good player in my opinion aswel. Hard as fuck and game as fuck

I noted on staccat that we have had something like 1200 players play for us in total.

In comparison I was watching Liverpool the other week and they mentioned that one of the current LFC players was their 900th.

So we have had. third more players than they have had. Thoughts on why?

Shows what a good job Jack Ross did.

He wasn’t right wing that day either, he was in the middle.
There is not a chance in hell that team was positioned like that
Gets a load of stick from the hipsters, but he’s been a brilliant servant for us
Surely it's the hipsters who see his value as a ball playing centre back and how he contributes through xT and in phases 1 and 2? Hipsters are the ones defending him

Last edited:
I noted on staccat that we have had something like 1200 players play for us in total.

In comparison I was watching Liverpool the other week and they mentioned that one of the current LFC players was their 900th.

So we have had. third more players than they have had. Thoughts on why?
Far less managers than us too, even in the 20th century.

By that metric, teams were kept together longer (and hence less player turnover) due to prolonged success and wanting to play at Liverpool longer under managers such as Shankley and Paisley etc. who were worth sticking about to play under.

By comparison we have been mainly a yoyo (and at times a basket case) club particularly post the 50s. Lots of ins and outs.

That would be my guess anyway...

Last edited:
Gets a load of stick from the hipsters, but he’s been a brilliant servant for us

I’ll speak up for the tactics hipsters - we love Luke. We have absolutely no problem with a centre back who has clear press beating ability from the back at this level, as his main “defensive” attribute.

It’s the older crowd I think who swear he’s never defender because, like any defender, he makes the odd mistake and isn’t 6ft 4. They love a Danny Batth type a lot more.

Surely it's the hipsters who see his value as a ball playing centre back and how he contributes through xT and in phases 1 and 2? Hipsters are the ones defending him
Exactly marra, just said the same myself.

Last edited:
It's sad that his age will probably be against him getting in the top 10 appearance makers. Be nice to see that happen in this day and age.

All being well though he should go past 300 this time next year by which time he'll be 30. Based on his average of 44.5 per season he'd need to be a first team regular for another 3-4 seasons to crack the top 10.

Can anybody explain what a hipster is and why they are relavent to this thread please?
He is literally one of the best passers of a ball, with both feet may I add, in our squad. Carries it out from the back with confidence, tackles well, puts his body on the line, leads his peers by example. This ability or lack of, is a fallacy.
Impressive that, I love Luke me, thanks for adding these positive details about his abilities which are so often overlooked.

Last edited:
I must admit i was one of them that was gutted we`d signed him, thinking we`d hit the bottom, this unknown lad from Wycombe, my god he's proved me so wrong and I'm chuffed he has, he`ll never be the best but he gives his all. I really like him and even on FM24 he's still at Sunderland now as a player coach in my premier league team i just cant bring myself to get rid of him even in that game :lol: :lol:

As per an earlier message,11 L 09's in the team we win promotion. Well done 👏👏👏. Re career age etc, I reckon he's the fittest at the club

Back