Luddites

I understand the point he’s trying to make, there are some members at all counties who will shoot down any changes and fear anything other than the CC, which may stop the club making extra revenue, but here’s a way to put that across, but this certainly isn’t it, an absolute PR disaster, which could even see him lose his job

It’s always a difficult one this as inevitably and understandably soo, members of county cricket just like football supporters of clubs have that club/county as their number one priority.

Therefore the language he has used here leaves a lot to be desired and will piss people off.

However the principle of certain supporters in sport been resistant to change is imo a valid one.

Duncan Fletcher had a hard job getting central contracts in past the counties which undoubtedly helped the country get better internationally and they were plenty opposing T20 when that was introduced that has benefited all imo in a lot of ways.

And the evolvement of our test cricket team amazingly still has its opposition

So while his language and disrespect to members is not acceptable his overall principle isn’t imo.

I understand the point he’s trying to make, there are some members at all counties who will shoot down any changes and fear anything other than the CC, which may stop the club making extra revenue, but here’s a way to put that across, but this certainly isn’t it, an absolute PR disaster, which could even see him lose his job

I made the point on the other thread,
it’s too lazy to say that about members being resistant to change when in actual fact - given the changes we’ve seen to the game in the past 20 or so years I would actually argue that the opposite is true.

It’s always a difficult one this as inevitably and understandably soo, members of county cricket just like football supporters of clubs have that club/county as their number one priority.

Therefore the language he has used here leaves a lot to be desired and will piss people off.

However the principle of certain supporters in sport been resistant to change is imo a valid one.

Duncan Fletcher had a hard job getting central contracts in past the counties which undoubtedly helped the country get better internationally and they were plenty opposing T20 when that was introduced that has benefited all imo in a lot of ways.

So while his language and disrespect to members is not acceptable his overall principle isn’t imo.
Our evolved cricket team is still bottom of the test championship table so it hasn't found the panacea that some claim.
Ist class cricket made a profit year on year mainly through England gate receipts, sponsorship and TV revenue and The CC is the breeding ground for test teams. Why then The need for franchise teams?. They take money out of The game-they wouldn't get involved otherwise.The resistance from member clubs is not to short form cricket but specifically to the Hundred which offers nothing domestic T20 doesn't offer.
As to central contracts,the latest round of awards appears extravagant in the extreme.

Our evolved cricket team is still bottom of the test championship table so it hasn't found the panacea that some claim.
Ist class cricket made a profit year on year mainly through England gate receipts, sponsorship and TV revenue and The CC is the breeding ground for test teams. Why then The need for franchise teams?. They take money out of The game-they wouldn't get involved otherwise.The resistance from member clubs is not to short form cricket but specifically to the Hundred which offers nothing domestic T20 doesn't offer.
As to central contracts,the latest round of awards appears extravagant in the extreme.
I can try and meet you half way at times mate, and accept some points but if you can’t accept the clear improvement and evolvement of our test team despite what any table might say based off a number of years then pointless continuing.
You lost me after reading that first sentence

Last edited:
There has been some improvement,albeit from a very low base but we're still with weaknesses which both the coach and captain accept.However it's the franchise concept that concerns me as it will take money out of the game which was the main thrust of my post.

There has been some improvement,albeit from a very low base but we're still with weaknesses which both the coach and captain accept.However it's the franchise concept that concerns me as it will take money out of the game which was the main thrust of my post.
There will always be weak points in any team to improve upon and should be accepted and improved, but the environment and culture in the test team is as good as it has been for a long time, even the captain of the previous regime ( Root) very much accepts that.

Imo to say they has been some improvement is miles underestimated that progress

As for your point, Yeah like I said I understand why loyal fans of counties would be concerned.

But still stand by the fact that cricket fans (at least some of them) have been resistant to any change historically.

The introduction of T20 as a prime example which has helped the finances considerably of them very clubs

Last edited:
There will always be weak points in any team to improve upon and should be accepted and improved, but the environment and culture in the test team is as good as it has been for a long time, even the captain of the previous regime ( Root) very much accepts that.

Imo to say they has been some improvement is miles underestimated that progress

As for your point, Yeah like I said I understand why loyal fans of counties would be concerned.

But still stand by the fact that cricket fans (at least some of them) have been resistant to any change historically.

The introduction of T20 as a prime example which has helped the finances considerably of them very clubs
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.
That’s life:):):)

Last edited:

The County Championship is now barely played in the summer.

The 50 over competition is no longer a first team competition.

The T20 Blast is no longer a stand alone competition.

First class cricket is now paused for most of the school holidays.

Central contracts were adopted without that much fuss and expanded many times over.

How much more more f***ing change do you want? Will you not be appeased until there is nothing other than T20 or T16.4 in the domestic game?

It's not being resistant to change, it's about holding those changes up to scrutiny. And when the ECB try to sell you a bucket of shite while claiming you're buying pure gold, not being too feeble to call it out.

Central contracts were adopted without that much fuss and expanded many times over.

How much more more f***ing change do you want? Will you not be appeased until there is nothing other than T20 or T16.4 in the domestic game?

It's not being resistant to change, it's about holding those changes up to scrutiny. And when the ECB try to sell you a bucket of shite while claiming you're buying pure gold, not being too feeble to call it out.
Couldn't have put it better in a million years. Spot on.

This. It's a weird approach from Bostock in a sport built on tradition. I think the change he'd like to see involves billions of Saudi money.

Go on then, I’ll bite, give some examples.

The introduction of T20 was overwhelmingly supported by county members - evidenced by the excellent gates that clubs have enjoyed since its inception and that they continue to see.

Try again.

You bemoaned on another thread that you can’t have ‘polite debate’ with me, but I asked a pertinent question of you on this thread that you’ve ignored.

So here’s your chance, if you are genuinely interested in polite debate like you say you are - I’d like a response to what I said above in response to this post.

Can you give some examples to backup your statement?

Last edited:

Back