Lost my dad yesterday, a lifelong SAFC fan

My dad died yesterday after suffering from an awful disease called pulmonary fibrosis for the last few years. He was 77.

He brought us up as SAFC fans, took me to my first game and many more. He was a twin and his brother was a mag cos they picked sides when they were about 6. Washington man all his life, managed betting shops around the North East, drank in concord. Brilliant grandad to our three children.

Took me across a live railway line outside Wembley in 1985 against Norwich cos it used to be a shortcut when he lived there years earlier. I questioned the wisdom "don't tell your mam and watch where you are going"

His main advice in life was never turn down a request to go to the pub or a pint.

I will miss him.
So sorry, losing your dad, the person who inflicted being a Sunderland supporter on you, is so hard.
xx

Sorry to hear that mate. I still think about my dad almost every day and he died 17 years ago. All I can offer is that the pain does ease with time but the sadness never quite leaves you. He was also a lifelong fan and it’s passed down 2 more generations from him. Me and my brother, and our kids, often joke about not knowing whether to blame him or thank him 😃. All the best for you and the family mate 👍.

My dad died yesterday after suffering from an awful disease called pulmonary fibrosis for the last few years. He was 77.

He brought us up as SAFC fans, took me to my first game and many more. He was a twin and his brother was a mag cos they picked sides when they were about 6. Washington man all his life, managed betting shops around the North East, drank in concord. Brilliant grandad to our three children.

Took me across a live railway line outside Wembley in 1985 against Norwich cos it used to be a shortcut when he lived there years earlier. I questioned the wisdom "don't tell your mam and watch where you are going"

His main advice in life was never turn down a request to go to the pub or a pint.

I will miss him.
Memories of matchdays with family and friends are the best.

I've just had a leaf through some of mine and - as usual - now have a lump in my throat

It seems you're already cherishing yours and I hope this brings solace at this difficult time

Sorry for your loss and may your father rest in peace

Sorry for the loss of your dad, sounds like a good bloke. My dad is also Washington born n bred, every chance he’ll have known or heard of your dad especially with him drinking in Concord.
RIP ❤️🤍❤️🤍

Back