Losing weight.... hit a wall

I'll be honest, I'm not a fitness freak or am I addicted to weightloss. But last year I weighed myself and was a little heavier than I'd like to be... but by no means morbidly obese.

So I restarted running socially, did a bit of swimming. I got a bit more careful with my diet (without actually dieting) and I got a gradual weightloss to the point I'm at the very top end of the ideal weight. Now if that's where I stay I'm not upset. I've never been fitter or felt better.

But it feels a bit like I've hit a wall. Nothing i do seems to lose me anymore weight. I've gone from a slow and steady reduction to basically levelling off. I'm running and swimming further and faster, the exercise is getting easier but I just can't seem to shed those last few pounds?

Or at approaching 50 should I accept the weight and focus on lap times and not worry about weight so much?

Losing weight is 75% diet & 25% exercise imo. If you really want to lose weight you have to pay more attention to your diet.

Work out your TDEE (a few questions about gender, height, weight and activity level) and then subtract 500 calories, try and eat no more than that per day. Eat what you want (within reason) but be aware that donuts and ice-cream are going to leave you hungry at the end of the day.

I don't think there's any need to go hardcore or detailed with it at our age, we're not getting abs and hard beach bodies unless we work really, really hard at it :lol: so think about it as a weekly target knowing that consistency will pay off.

If you're at a wedding at the weekend for example, try and skimp/save a few calories during the week for your weekend when you know you'll likely go over your daily calorie intake.

Losing weight is 75% diet & 25% exercise imo. If you really want to lose weight you have to pay more attention to your diet.

Work out your TDEE (a few questions about gender, height, weight and activity level) and then subtract 500 calories, try and eat no more than that per day. Eat what you want (within reason) but be aware that donuts and ice-cream are going to leave you hungry at the end of the day.

I don't think there's any need to go hardcore or detailed with it at our age, we're not getting abs and hard beach bodies unless we work really, really hard at it :lol: so think about it as a weekly target knowing that consistency will pay off.

If you're at a wedding at the weekend for example, try and skimp/save a few calories during the week for your weekend when you know you'll likely go over your daily calorie intake.

Just had a look at that TDEE thing, that's actually really interesting.

What I found odd was how things leveled of. I made a lifestyle change, I've stuck to it and seen steady weight loss to the point I've reached a weight I'm happy with

Nothing has changed but that weight loss has almost totally stopped. I've just plateaued. But my physical exercise is improving markedly

What I found odd was how things leveled of. I made a lifestyle change, I've stuck to it and seen steady weight loss to the point I've reached a weight I'm happy with

Nothing has changed but that weight loss has almost totally stopped. I've just plateaued. But my physical exercise is improving markedly

Weight is subjective, you have more muscle from your exercise which is denser than fat, so you may have lost fat and gained muscle meaning your weight remains the same, again I wouldn't be too arsed about the numbers on the scale, they're just a (not very good) guideline to progress.
A better guide will be bodyfat % but its difficult to measure accurately, get your SO to take some pictures and try to compare them to earlier pictures of yourself and you can use them to compare to future pictures.
I've never been fitter or felt better.
This is the most important measurement.

Diet I'd say
Just watching the Michael mosely stuff down the years the fitness industry is worth billions and exercising makes your body healthier etc but will only do so much for weight loss
I used to play 5 a side 4 nights a week and drank and ate too much so was always too big

Back