"Lockdown Is An Exercise In Deliberate Cruelty"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddy O'Dors

Striker
So reckons a Tory backbencher/1922 bigwig. Very scathing of his own ministers. Quite impassioned he was. From about 28:45 in...

In an impassioned attack on the government's position, senior Conservative MP Sir Charles Walker described the call for people not to book breaks as "odd", adding that "existing isn't living".
"We had summer holidays last year when we didn't have a vaccine. Now we've got vaccines coming out of our ears, we are told, 'Don't book a summer holiday,' for crying out loud," he told BBC Radio 4's World at One.
Sir Charles implored the prime minister to "get a grip" on his cabinet and remind ministers that people want "hope, optimism and something to look forward to".

I was actually quite shocked listening to it. Surprised it's not on more of newsites etc.
Absolutely scathing of those two pathetic human beings, Shapps and Hancock, he sounds exactly how I would if I was on a radio station. He’s vice chair of the 1922 committee so one of the biggest figures on the back benches.

So reckons a Tory backbencher/1922 bigwig. Very scathing of his own ministers. Quite impassioned he was. From about 28:45 in...

In an impassioned attack on the government's position, senior Conservative MP Sir Charles Walker described the call for people not to book breaks as "odd", adding that "existing isn't living".
"We had summer holidays last year when we didn't have a vaccine. Now we've got vaccines coming out of our ears, we are told, 'Don't book a summer holiday,' for crying out loud," he told BBC Radio 4's World at One.
Sir Charles implored the prime minister to "get a grip" on his cabinet and remind ministers that people want "hope, optimism and something to look forward to".
He has a point.

Absolutely scathing of those two pathetic human beings, Shapps and Hancock, he sounds exactly how I would if I was on a radio station. He’s vice chair of the 1922 committee so one of the biggest figures on the back benches.

I'll be honest, I'm finding it difficult to keep up with what's happening. Scientist Jean-Claude Van Tam telling us the SA variant isn't a worry, the government telling us we're all gonna die if it takes off here.

It's like there's not much leadership, joined up thinking or coordination at the top.

Who's in charge, SAGE or the government? 🤔

I'll be honest, I'm finding it difficult to keep up with what's happening. Scientist Jean-Claude Van Tam telling us the SA variant isn't a worry, the government telling us we're all gonna die if it takes off here.

It's like there's not much leadership, joined up thinking or coordination at the top.

Who's in charge, SAGE or the government? 🤔
Then Hancock going on about a great summer only for Shapps to effectively rule out holidays even internally this year. Northern Ireland CMO saying measures will still be around in a years time .... its so chaotic. Never been so disheartened in my life tbh.

Then Hancock going on about a great summer only for Shapps to effectively rule out holidays even internally this year. Northern Ireland CMO saying measures will still be around in a years time .... its so chaotic. Never been so disheartened in my life tbh.

Another scientist saying its gonna be around for 10 years or more on R4 earlier.

Another scientist saying its gonna be around for 10 years or more on R4 earlier.
I do think some of them want this to go as long as possible, appearances on the TV etc., they’ll get paid for each appearance. A year ago hardly anyone knew who Vallance and Whitty were now they are quasi-celebrities. The longer we want to hear their opinion, the more money they make.

I do think some of them want this to go as long as possible, appearances on the TV etc., they’ll get paid for each appearance. A year ago hardly anyone knew who Vallance and Whitty were now they are quasi-celebrities. The longer we want to hear their opinion, the more money they make.

Van Tam acts like he's got one eye on an appearance this year's IAC...GMOOH tbh. Any opportunity he's in there.

I don't disagree with him - but his view is very simplistic.

Deaths and infections up to this point have only reduced because of lockdowns - not in spite of them.

The vaccinations do change the picture a lot - but we have to be careful - if the vaccination doesn't work in the way we hope we are back to square one with less hope.

Personally I believe a staggered opening of stuff between now and the summer is the right decision.

Schapps would be getting hammered if he said 'book your holidays from July 1st as we just don't know how the world will be by then.

It feels like some of the SAGE people are enjoying their '15 minutes of fame'.

Posts on Twitter about things that would, in normal times, be limited to internal reports and seminars; being approached for interviews and comments by all and sundry in the media. That sort of thing.

The sooner we hear less from them, the better.

Lets be honest, before Covid virtually no-one had heard of them or NERVTAG. Now, they are the new 'celebrity' scientists, with their names on everyone's lips.

I don't disagree with him - but his view is very simplistic.

Deaths and infections up to this point have only reduced because of lockdowns - not in spite of them.

The vaccinations do change the picture a lot - but we have to be careful - if the vaccination doesn't work in the way we hope we are back to square one with less hope.

Personally I believe a staggered opening of stuff between now and the summer is the right decision.

Schapps would be getting hammered if he said 'book your holidays from July 1st as we just don't know how the world will be by then.

This. I understand that it's not nice for anyone but there is absolutely nothing to be gained by being blindly positive, putting fixed dates on things and relaxing measures just to make people feel better.

We don't know what will happen in the next few weeks and months. However, most signs are positive and with a little bit of caution we could all have an amazing summer with our friends and families, without the need for another lockdown because things were rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back