Lockdown behind drop in COVID cases and deaths- not vaccinations

Following Johnsons logic, we should now expect an upsurge in infections, hospitalisations and deaths as the lockdown is eased and ended. That begs the question as to what the vaccine will actually achieve !
Lockdown helped reduce everything. During that period we vaccinated half the population at least once. As the programme moves down the age brackets it will allow things to remain open. I think it's pretty straightforward.

I’m calling bullshit on this like, I could be wrong and I’m willing to be corrected, but cases / deaths / hospitalisations seem to have fallen a lot, very quickly, compared to spring last year. That was with an almost complete lockdown, and almost100% compliance.
This lockdown has not been as strict and most people I know haven’t followed the rules anyway.

I’m calling bullshit on this like, I could be wrong and I’m willing to be corrected, but cases / deaths / hospitalisations seem to have fallen a lot, very quickly, compared to spring last year. That was with an almost complete lockdown, and almost100% compliance.
This lockdown has not been as strict and most people I know haven’t followed the rules anyway.
Cases, hospitalisations and deaths were also a lot higher than last spring.

Lockdown helped reduce everything. During that period we vaccinated half the population at least once. As the programme moves down the age brackets it will allow things to remain open. I think it's pretty straightforward.

So then why is Johnson saying,
"So, as we unlock, the result will inevitably be that we will see more infection, sadly we will see more hospitalisation and deaths, and people have just got to understand that."

He actually states that the reduction was due to lockdown and appears to negate any vaccine role in the lowering of numbers.
"But it is very, very important for everybody to understand that the reduction in these numbers - in hospitalisations and in deaths and infections - has not been achieved by the vaccination programme.

Last edited:
Don’t understand what he’s trying to achieve with his comments to be honest and I’m not saying he’s lying as he’s got even less to achieve by doing that. Obviously the lockdown will have had a big impact on driving infections down, but we all seem to be in agreement that this latest lockdown was nowhere near as severe or as complied with compared to the lockdown of spring 2020, yet the drop in cases/hospitalisation/deaths seems to have been the same if not better this time compared to that one? So how is that? I know it’s probably still too early to judge the whole impact the vaccines are having here yet, but you’d be expecting to draw some positive conclusions from it already I would’ve thought? In fact didnt Public Health Scotland come out with something suggesting so not that long ago?

Don’t understand what he’s trying to achieve with his comments to be honest and I’m not saying he’s lying as he’s got even less to achieve by doing that. Obviously the lockdown will have had a big impact on driving infections down, but we all seem to be in agreement that this latest lockdown was nowhere near as severe or as complied with compared to the lockdown of spring 2020, yet the drop in cases/hospitalisation/deaths seems to have been the same if not better this time compared to that one? So how is that? I know it’s probably still too early to judge the whole impact the vaccines are having here yet, but you’d be expecting to draw some positive conclusions from it already I would’ve thought? In fact didnt Public Health Scotland come out with something suggesting so not that long ago?
It seems like great news on vaccine efficacy one day, then pretend they don’t exist and we’re all doomed the next.

So then why is Johnson saying,

He actually states that the reduction was due to lockdown and appears to negate any vaccine role in the lowering of numbers.
Long term vaccines mean won't see a return to the numbers from the peak of either wave. The vaccine is a control mechanism, not a cure. We all know COVID is here to stay for a while yet. It will one day become part of our lives like many other diseases that can kill people.

Back