Locations

Murray72

Goalkeeper
Newish to all this digital stuff and finding it hard to manage Lightroom editing of photos I have taken.

Main question is, where are peoples recommendations for taking photos?
I'm open to subjects as not settled on one yet, landscape, nature etc, so just asking if anyone has any go to spots.

I do like the thought of animals/wildlife but my largest lens is currently only 55-200mm so feel I won't be able to get close enough for some quality.

Any suggestions? Thanks

I suppose the first question is where do you live? Then, what's your transport like? And how mobile are you?

You say you're new to digital but are you new to photography?

Do you want to get out just to test some settings and get to know your camera?

That's a lot of questions and no answers! But it will help to shape the advice that you get.

Haha...thanks.
Done photography 30 years ago, original dark room development.
Not really sure on setting etc on camera but been testing out so sort of getting used to it.
I live in Durham, own car and free to roam.
Any good?

Yep!
Best thing about digital; your mistakes are free 😄

So you can take as many shit photos as you like while you get to grips with the camera. Then plenty more.

Become familiar with the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and iso and how they combine to make your exposure, or photo.

Then I'd probably just get out there and take some shots. Durham is great, up whiney hill or Wharton park for shots of cathedral. I'd go early or late while there's nice light hitting it. Or down by the river of course.

Our coast is great, plenty of interest. Sunderland for example has the pier, lighthouse and then souter further up.

Or places like saltburn have lots of nice shots around the pier. Or Cleveland way around by Roseberry topping.

Loads to choose from!

Yep!

So you can take as many shit photos as you like while you get to grips with the camera. Then plenty more.

Become familiar with the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and iso and how they combine to make your exposure, or photo.

Then I'd probably just get out there and take some shots. Durham is great, up whiney hill or Wharton park for shots of cathedral. I'd go early or late while there's nice light hitting it. Or down by the river of course.

Our coast is great, plenty of interest. Sunderland for example has the pier, lighthouse and then souter further up.

Or places like saltburn have lots of nice shots around the pier. Or Cleveland way around by Roseberry topping.

Loads to choose from!
Cheers @Steeeeed
Made myself a little Instagram page and posted shots on there.
As you say, shit shots are free 😃
Done some already around the coast but need to do early or late in the day.

Cheers @Steeeeed
Made myself a little Instagram page and posted shots on there.
As you say, shit shots are free 😃
Done some already around the coast but need to do early or late in the day.
If you haven't already, read up on neutral density grad filters. These can help control the brighter sky and expand your dynamic range. Don't worry if that makes no sense, it will after a while.

Watch things on YouTube but crap if you aren't out there with camera. When you do get out, you forget what you watched...
I'll read up on neutral density filters
Would you recommend a teleconveter or better lens?

Last edited:
Watch things on YouTube but crap if you aren't out there with camera. When you do get out, you forget what you watched...
I'll read up on neutral density filters
Would you recommend a teleconveter or better lens?
No way! Not right now. Just find your feet first. If you settle on wildlife you'll want to look at longer lenses but you soon start talking serious cash

Yep!

100% this - take loads of shots with different settings with digital, and experiment lots. It costs you nothing and you can compare the results instantly.

Try different weather too, as long as your gear doesn't get too wet.

Back