Local football cancelled again from Monday?

The RFYL haven't made any statement, and I think the regulations are being drafted, but the BBC have advised that club sport for children outside of a school setting has to stop until December, so it will almost certainly be off.

The RYFL know nowt, you’ll hear about it on here before you hear owt from them, unless it’s asking you to pay league fees. In their defence; it’s nowt to do with them, it’s done to Durham FA.

But it’s off aye and it will be for a while.

No the virus is not a hoax but if we keep following these rules it will keep going and going and going. Lets take the elderly, sick and infirmed let them quarantine and the rest of us carry on life as normal as possible. Just my opinion.
Impossible to contain in this way.
You and your friends will have parents, and they may also have parents. Even if you put every grandparent in isolation, what happens to the childcare provided by them. Also, every visitor, health or care provider would have to go into isolation along with their families.
Then, the people who supply food and other services to those in isolation would also have to be separated from society.
And so it goes on.....

Unfortunately, in my experience, parents have returned to normal: standing together, two parents, grandparents...all in a huddle whilst MOM trophy given out.

I live on the Wirral, a lovely place and very diverse from one of the richest areas in the country (where Rafa lives) to some of the most deprived areas (Seacombe, Leosowe..) For some of the latter, grassroots football watching their kids is the most important part of the week....I have examples of teams who played and trained through original lockdown. For me, as Chairman of a club with 340 players, I say it needs to stop. I can control training, but I can’t control match days. I’d happily trade November off for the season to be completed.

Maybe everyone in grassroots in the NE is following the rules?

Unfortunately, in my experience, parents have returned to normal: standing together, two parents, grandparents...all in a huddle whilst MOM trophy given out.

I live on the Wirral, a lovely place and very diverse from one of the richest areas in the country (where Rafa lives) to some of the most deprived areas (Seacombe, Leosowe..) For some of the latter, grassroots football watching their kids is the most important part of the week....I have examples of teams who played and trained through original lockdown. For me, as Chairman of a club with 340 players, I say it needs to stop. I can control training, but I can’t control match days. I’d happily trade November off for the season to be completed.

Maybe everyone in grassroots in the NE is following the rules?

mixed bag

been to some kids games and everyone has been following the guidelines, been to others and it has been a bit of a free for all.

as you say training has been much easier to manage,our club have been fortunate in that the volunteer welfare officers have been helping to manage the games played on home pitches beside the ground.

it will be cancelled for the duration of the current restrictions then the really bad weather will hit and games will be called off for that, virtually impossible to finish the season..not that I’m complaining or owt just what I think is likely to happen

I haven't watched my lad train or play since March. All been parent free. Shame but for me as long as he plays, enjoys and develops that's the main thing.

The RYFL know nowt, you’ll hear about it on here before you hear owt from them, unless it’s asking you to pay league fees. In their defence; it’s nowt to do with them, it’s done to Durham FA.

But it’s off aye and it will be for a while.

Understand that the FA will make an announcement around 5pm tonight. This will confirm their plans but I imagine it will be grass roots stopped for now. For me if they allowed 11 -a - side up to 16yrs to continue with limited parents how could that be a problem? big pitches with plenty of space - you're outside.

My sons club have taken this seriously and parents havent mixed on the same side for the pitch since we got back to starting. However some away games have been a lot different with no masks and parents huddled together.

My son is in under 15s and for me 14s upwards will quit in their droves if this happens and is extended. Although I'm sure we'll have some very good Xbox players.

Understand that the FA will make an announcement around 5pm tonight. This will confirm their plans but I imagine it will be grass roots stopped for now. For me if they allowed 11 -a - side up to 16yrs to continue with limited parents how could that be a problem? big pitches with plenty of space - you're outside.

My sons club have taken this seriously and parents havent mixed on the same side for the pitch since we got back to starting. However some away games have been a lot different with no masks and parents huddled together.

My son is in under 15s and for me 14s upwards will quit in their droves if this happens and is extended. Although I'm sure we'll have some very good Xbox players.

There is already a huge drop off in organiser sports at U14's upwards...this will just exacerbate the problem.

Nice ideal - you can't have limited parents as the coach can't/shouldn't attend to minor injuries plus how do the kids get there? Even as a coach I support the decision and some parents only have themselves to blame - give them an inch, and they take a mile.

There is already a huge drop off in organiser sports at U14's upwards...this will just exacerbate the problem.

Nice ideal - you can't have limited parents as the coach can't/shouldn't attend to minor injuries plus how do the kids get there? Even as a coach I support the decision and some parents only have themselves to blame - give them an inch, and they take a mile.

The Gov will be wondering why kids in their early 20s are unhealthy and overweight in 5 years time and this will directly lead to that.

We have had 1 parent per child and yes the parent has had to go on for injuries so agree it is confusing on that side. I just fear that things like this and other sports which are outdoors could seriously damage a generation or at least kids of a certain age for a long time.

I do agree also that some parents have just slipped back into the old ways - one away game in particularly in the last few weeks in Sunderland - the parents of the home team didnt have any masks on - no Covid officer or QR codes to scan etc. It's the people who do things right who will be damaged by these decisions.

No the virus is not a hoax but if we keep following these rules it will keep going and going and going. Lets take the elderly, sick and infirmed let them quarantine and the rest of us carry on life as normal as possible. Just my opinion.
So how does that work?

Who looks after the elderly and sick?

Do the people who work in care homes and hospitals and their families have to quarantine too?

What about elderly people living at home, who can't use online shopping? How do they get food?

Your idea doesn't work.

One of the parents of a kid in my son's team coaches his older son's side. I think they're U14s. Between lockdown, injuries, isolating and the two week suspension earlier in the season they haven't had a game probably since March. Every week he's hoping they can play and it's not happening.

With the earliest return being the beginning of December there's the weather to chuck into the mix too. They could get to a point they go a year without a game.

Last edited:
Talking about it now on Talksport n Chief Medical Officer just been on and said there is no evidence to suggest that stopping kids playing has any benefit to stopping the spread. Unbelievable, plus he said it is not up to him to gown down to that level and make these decisions, he just advises.🙈🙈 Fucks he getting paid for?? Kids are going to suffer cos of this, we are on our way now to my 12yr old lad's final training session before lockdown, he's gutted.

Talking about it now on Talksport n Chief Medical Officer just been on and said there is no evidence to suggest that stopping kids playing has any benefit to stopping the spread. Unbelievable, plus he said it is not up to him to gown down to that level and make these decisions, he just advises.🙈🙈 Fucks he getting paid for?? Kids are going to suffer cos of this, we are on our way now to my 12yr old lad's final training session before lockdown, he's gutted.
There is a lockdown of one month. The kids have been training and also playing. Durham FA will be sending a revised list of fixtures scheduled for the re-start of the league in December. Additionally, lessons in schools continue which includes P.E. So whilst disappointing, and whilst all boys, girls and adults will still be able to exercise every day, I really think it's a bit ott to talk about 'suffering'!

There is a lockdown of one month. The kids have been training and also playing. Durham FA will be sending a revised list of fixtures scheduled for the re-start of the league in December. Additionally, lessons in schools continue which includes P.E. So whilst disappointing, and whilst all boys, girls and adults will still be able to exercise every day, I really think it's a bit ott to talk about 'suffering'!
I agree. Frustrating, disappointing but suffering? I probably leave the house at 830 on a Saturday and return at 1. I’ll dedicate a few of those hours to my boys this weekend on a bike ride or practising rugby place kicking. It is also easy enough to put a 1-1 football coaching session on down the park to stop the “suffering”.

Well i disagree, as does all parents i spoke to at training tonight. Also, this will go on longer than one month imo.

Well i disagree, as does all parents i spoke to at training tonight. Also, this will go on longer than one month imo.
Going on for a longer period is another issue. I was remarking on the terrible prospect of active young people being deprived of their organised football for four weeks. Might I add that, in the Durham leagues, given there are sometimes an uneven number of teams in several of the leagues, it is likely that the boys would not play every weekend anyway. That, on top of in juries, holidays such as at half and full terms, which parents take their boys on without a second thought for their teams (in some cases) puts missing one month at present into context.

Going on for a longer period is another issue. I was remarking on the terrible prospect of active young people being deprived of their organised football for four weeks. Might I add that, in the Durham leagues, given there are sometimes an uneven number of teams in several of the leagues, it is likely that the boys would not play every weekend anyway. That, on top of in juries, holidays such as at half and full terms, which parents take their boys on without a second thought for their teams (in some cases) puts missing one month at present into context.
..not with the winter coming, when games get cancelled a lot. Missing out on a hell of a lot of football.

..not with the winter coming, when games get cancelled a lot. Missing out on a hell of a lot of football.
Get the boys out on their bikes as part of their allowed exercise regime. There are many challenging and enjoyable mostly off road rides around considering we live at the end of the C2C route and we’re not far from the Coast too.

Back