Local cricket today

Status
Not open for further replies.

The pitch was over to one side and countless balls were launched into the houses. It was hilarious hearing the residents complaining. I don't think the lady in number 23 took kindly to my comment that would she mind shining the ball the next time she returns it.

They get bonus points for winning earlier. Not sure how it works. Rob or Hilly will know more.

Last edited:
New rules have come in this season. We play 45 overs in the NEDCL, and if a team declares on 40 overs, and bowls another team out they get an additional 5 points. Declare on 41 overs and bowl the other team out, they get 4 additional points etc... etc...

Burnhope played us earlier on this season and declared but didn't manage to bowl us out, so they just got the usual 20 points for winning the game.

There's a lot of in fighting going on at Kimblesworth from what I've heard. Most of the lads playing in the 2nds refuse to play in the 1sts, which strangely leaves them stronger than the 1sts.

They have a lad called Scott Emerson playing for them (2nds) and no disrespect to the lad but he's too good for 2nd division cricket, but rightly or wrongly, he refuses to play for the 1sts. So it leaves him getting hundred after hundred in the 2nd division (he got 161 not out yesterday and I think he's got 4 or 5 already to his name), while their 1sts struggle. Pretty laughable really.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next season because a rule has been passed which allows teams to have 2 sides playing in the same division. We could have a situation where the 2nd team ends higher in the league than the 1sts!

Spenny off at home to Raby Castle. Kimblesworth II declared on 295-1 off 27 v Belmont II. Ridiculous.
Christ! Just re-read this.... 27 overs?! That's unreal.

New rules have come in this season. We play 45 overs in the NEDCL, and if a team declares on 40 overs, and bowls another team out they get an additional 5 points. Declare on 41 overs and bowl the other team out, they get 4 additional points etc... etc...

Burnhope played us earlier on this season and declared but didn't manage to bowl us out, so they just got the usual 20 points for winning the game.

There's a lot of in fighting going on at Kimblesworth from what I've heard. Most of the lads playing in the 2nds refuse to play in the 1sts, which strangely leaves them stronger than the 1sts.

They have a lad called Scott Emerson playing for them (2nds) and no disrespect to the lad but he's too good for 2nd division cricket, but rightly or wrongly, he refuses to play for the 1sts. So it leaves him getting hundred after hundred in the 2nd division (he got 161 not out yesterday and I think he's got 4 or 5 already to his name), while their 1sts struggle. Pretty laughable really.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next season because a rule has been passed which allows teams to have 2 sides playing in the same division. We could have a situation where the 2nd team ends higher in the league than the 1sts!

Christ! Just re-read this.... 27 overs?! That's unreal.
They were 170-1 off 21 when I got three. Only got another 125 off the next 6. To be fair to Kimblesworth, there are 2 or 3 particularly unpleasant characters in their 2nds as well.

Washy 1s drew with Brandon
Washy 2s beat Brandon, could blow the league wide open if Shields get given the win against Willington, Game was called off but a few travelled and said the ground was completely fine so a complaint has gone into the league with photo/vido evidence :lol:

They were 170-1 off 21 when I got three. Only got another 125 off the next 6. To be fair to Kimblesworth, there are 2 or 3 particularly unpleasant characters in their 2nds as well.
125 off the next 6? Wow thats impressive.

I wouldnt disagree with you about there being more than one or two unpleasant characters either.

We played them on Friday in a cup and to be fair got absolutely butchered. Had to laugh at one incident though when me and another lad were batting.

There is one particularly twisty older bloke that plays for them and our lad hit a ball to the point boundary and their lad just didnt pick it up because of the sun and it trickled past him for 4. This lad standing at gully then piped up that the club was a joke and the reason that he didnt pick it up was because we didnt have the sight screens down (blustery night).

He soon shut up when our lad sarcastly apologised for us not having a square leg sightscreen.

Kimblesworth has always been full of bell ends even going back to the county league days.
Local cricket appears to be full of snobs and bell ends. Main reason I retired a couple of years back - blokes bullying and marginalising players in their own team. I love the game, but I hate the snobbery that seems to be inherent in so many teams/clubs

NEDL is overs, not time innit??
Where i play, its 50 overs a side, but if a team for instance gets bowled out in the 40th over then the opposition then has 60 overs to knock it off. Works the same way if a team declares in the 40th over they give themselves 60 overs to bowl them out

Where i play, its 50 overs a side, but if a team for instance gets bowled out in the 40th over then the opposition then has 60 overs to knock it off. Works the same way if a team declares in the 40th over they give themselves 60 overs to bowl them out
If a team declares then the opposition still have 45 overs to beat the total.
I believe it is not playing cricket to the spirit of the game. Second team cricket is supposed to be for players in later years or young players. So to hit up a massive score against a team which looked unlikely to achieve it is disheartening and hardly promoting the sport to future cricketers. Up to the lads in question which division they want to play in, but not ideal in my eyes.

If a team declares then the opposition still have 45 overs to beat the total.
I believe it is not playing cricket to the spirit of the game. Second team cricket is supposed to be for players in later years or young players. So to hit up a massive score against a team which looked unlikely to achieve it is disheartening and hardly promoting the sport to future cricketers. Up to the lads in question which division they want to play in, but not ideal in my eyes.

I agree to an extent, particularly lower down the leagues. However, we shouldn't write off second team cricket as one for kids on the way up and blokes on the way down. The nature of local cricket means first teams will not always have the same 11 available. Second team cricket used correctly should be keeping players ready to step in when first teams need them, as well as developing youth. In an ideal world old fellas on the way down would play Sunday cricket instead.

I do completely agree though that there is nothing worse than someone clearly too good for his level, refusing to make the step up, for whatever reason. Spoils the game for everyone. I always imagine these lads masturbate over selfies.

I do completely agree though that there is nothing worse than someone clearly too good for his level, refusing to make the step up, for whatever reason. Spoils the game for everyone. I always imagine these lads masturbate over selfies.

These are the ones with absolutely nothing about them. Hearts of peas. I for one will never be a first team cricketer as long as i have a hole in my arse, however i have been asked to step up now and again to help out and i relish it as it gives me a chance to pit myself against the best players in that division. Surely sport is about wanting to test yourself at the highest level you can?

These are the ones with absolutely nothing about them. Hearts of peas. I for one will never be a first team cricketer as long as i have a hole in my arse, however i have been asked to step up now and again to help out and i relish it as it gives me a chance to pit myself against the best players in that division. Surely sport is about wanting to test yourself at the highest level you can?

Agreed

I can half understand if they are not likely to bat or bowl much at the higher level, but where they simply refuse to make the step up when they clearly have the ability, its ridiculous. Had a couple in my club over the years and they have been moved on in the end. They effectively clog up a place where a younger lad can be developing into a first teamer.

Agreed

I can half understand if they are not likely to bat or bowl much at the higher level, but where they simply refuse to make the step up when they clearly have the ability, its ridiculous. Had a couple in my club over the years and they have been moved on in the end. They effectively clog up a place where a younger lad can be developing into a first teamer.
This also applies to a degree to older players who become stalwarts of the second eleven, yet don't quite have it in them to break into the firsts, or had it once but no longer. Like these reluctant starlets you describe, in the seconds they can end up being tenacious early order batsmen, or monopolising one end when bowling. In doing so, they can restrict opportunities to develop younger players.

There is a skill in managing a club in keeping these lads onside, and giving them responsibility for assisting development of the younger players, while creating opportunities for younger players to be blooded and to hopefully develop into future first team players.

Last edited:
I agree to an extent, particularly lower down the leagues. However, we shouldn't write off second team cricket as one for kids on the way up and blokes on the way down. The nature of local cricket means first teams will not always have the same 11 available. Second team cricket used correctly should be keeping players ready to step in when first teams need them, as well as developing youth. In an ideal world old fellas on the way down would play Sunday cricket instead.

I wasnt writing second team cricket off at all. We have a second team made up of all ages. And I'm a second team cricketer myself at 25. But it starting to become the nature of the game in the NEDCL it's older lads, blokes with club loyalties and young lads waiting to step up a level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back