Local cricket club teas

Used to get a cracking one at Coles Cranes. The thing I remember most about the ones at East Rainton were the overwhelming smell of salad, ham and cheese. And it was free for the scorers.

Used to get a cracking one at Coles Cranes. The thing I remember most about the ones at East Rainton were the overwhelming smell of salad, ham and cheese. And it was free for the scorers.
I only got to Coles Cranes for cup finals,mainly for the teas. Thought they were just special efforts for the final, didn't realise they were the norm.
Always found Lintz teas were pretty special.

My favourite tea memory is turning up at Seaham Harbour, many many years ago, and our captain saying to their tea ladies we only wanted two teas ( the other nine of us were going to the local shop, as we knew from previous years their teas pretty bad.

Later on, when we were on the way back from the local shop, we seen Seaham’s players going there as well fuming!!

The tea ladies had only made two teas altogether!! :lol: (which the umpires had)

The next season it became mandatory for all teams in our league to buy full teas, I have no idea if it was because of the incident!

Felling teas, and Chester-le-Street teas were good, and later on Castle Eden surperb.

Ours at Horden terrible!!

Last edited:
My favourite tea memory is turning up at Seaham Harbour, many many years ago, and our captain saying to their tea ladies we only wanted two teas ( the other nine of us were going to the local shop, as we knew from previous years their teas pretty bad.

Later on, when we were on the way back from the local shop, we seen Seaham’s players going there as well fuming!!

The tea ladies had only made two teas altogether!! :lol: (which the umpires had)

The next season it became mandatory for all teams in our league to buy full teas, I have no idea if it was because of the incident!

Felling teas, and Chester-le-Street teas were good, and later on Castle Eden surperb.

My legacy . A rule change in the DSL

Sticks of celery at Murton in the 80's with ham, beetroot and salad cream. Crackers, soreen and pickled onions.

Always canny at Ryhope. Memories of the portacabin at South Hylton!

Even the seagulls refused to eat it

I can give some insight in to Southern villages you'll never have heard of.

Home ground, Street end was a 12 year old birthday party type affair, triangle sandwiches, party rings and monster mincers. One across the border in Sussex.... Ox lees I think it was called was the best. Sitty down scones ((not scowwwwns) and cakes and what have you.
Lots and lots of Jam. I think southerners might be mostly made of jam to be honest

No teas in NEPL now, but still a thing in NTCL. Discovered this on Saturday at Annfield Plain, where there were plenty of sandwiches and nibbles. Having spent 40 overs in the teeth of a chill wind, it was welcome, as were the two coffees I secured. Almost made up for not getting a bowl. Almost...

Back