Level you played at/ Level you should have played at.

I played for Sunderland boys.still got a team photo on my mantle piece me in the green Hummel keeper top.that photo is my prize possession haha..sad I know..played for a couple of school of excellence teams too..but nothing compared to representing sunderland..

You missed out your illustrious career at millfield mate
I can confirm that Goldie was a very good keeper. Although I’m a lot of years older than him, I played against him in a 5aside league. Very agile and on his day unbeatable.

Played for Durham up to 13.
Moved to Hetton. Had trials at Darlo, Doncaster, Rotherham.
Joined the Navy and played for the RN and joint services, and Southern League, but was always moving with my postings. Thought I was good, and could play semi pro at least, until I had to mark Guy Whittingham in a game.
What ever those pros have, I found out that day I didn't have it🤣🤣🤣
Stopped playing not long after that.
Just wasn't good enough.

Sunday league and, at school, Durham County Cup. We had two good keepers at school...me and Alex Welsh, who was better than me and went on to sign for Peterborough and later coached with Bob Wilson.
I'd played a blinder in the Cup against a side from Jarrow and it went to a replay when Alex, who'd been injured, came back in.
As the teams filed out for the replay, we heard their skipper say, "Oh, good, that good keeper of theirs is out today ..."
Highlight of my career!
Alex is also a MLF.

I was a helluva player
Sunday league and, at school, Durham County Cup. We had two good keepers at school...me and Alex Welsh, who was better than me and went on to sign for Peterborough and later coached with Bob Wilson.
I'd played a blinder in the Cup against a side from Jarrow and it went to a replay when Alex, who'd been injured, came back in.
As the teams filed out for the replay, we heard their skipper say, "Oh, good, that good keeper of theirs is out today ..."
Highlight of my career!
Alex is also a MLF.
So, you walked in his shadow mate?:)

Last edited:
SE Durham at secondary school. played with some great players, who should have made it. beat the mags (88 or 89?) that contained the likes of micky english from seaham and a host of lads who went on to play for the mags, or had a career elsewhere.

"Outstanding" player award at a couple of summer football camps and from that, invited to go to the Sheffield Wednesday School Of Excellence.

Probably played my best football, at around the age of 11 or so (imo)

2 knackered knees later and a replacement in june :lol:

Played two seasons at championship level but mainly league one and two as well as a season in the northern premier league.
You must be a very good player
Highest for me was Northern League for a first team . Probably could have played a bit higher but didn’t like running and struggled with weight or fitness

Last edited:
No good as a footballer but a decent standard club distance runner. County standard and competed in regional and national events. Had a couple of bad injuries which looking back made me mentally really down, met our lass and never got back into it. The training involved isn’t compatible with being married and having young kids, you’re either training or too knackered for much else tbh.

Joined the Navy and played for the RN and joint services, and Southern League, but was always moving with my postings. Thought I was good, and could play semi pro at least, until I had to mark Guy Whittingham in a game.
Just wasn't good enough.
Very honest of you. Normally people who don’t make it have the lame excuse it was to drink , women etc etc.

Just wasn't good enough.
Apparently me and him were at the School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering in Bordon around the same time. I think he was a PTI although if he was I never recognised him when he became famous.

As for me, already mentioned. Played in the army for the units I was at. Played for my school team. Played for Northants Police. In all honesty though I was shite. Footballing brain akin to a retarded aardvark and a touch to match. Last game I played was 2009. Realised I didn’t enjoy playing any more so made the conscious decision to stop. I got into triathlons and cycling the year after and still doing them now. I’ve completed every level of triathlon from enticer to Ironman more than once.

I was f*cking terrible. Tried hard but just couldn't do it. Played Sunday league now and then, if my mates were a player down and called me but I was just there cos I was a big unit and it made up the numbers.

Music was always my thing and I was good at it, (like to think I still am), so I concentrated on that. In music terms, I've probably made it to league one standard. I've supported some big names, (Toyah, Dr & The Medics, etc), but never quite been good enough to make the top, myself, (though better than many who have). Still earning a decent living from it at 57 though and played to 1200 people, last Sunday and still get emails from X Factor and BGT every year, asking to fast-track me to the televised rounds. Not remotely interested.

Last edited:
As in the title I would like to know what level posters on here played at and what level they think they could/should have played at. Also what were the reasons why you didn’t play at the higher level you feel your god given talents deserved. I will start. I started playing pub level football in the late 80s and finished my illustrious career at pub level standard. I reckon I should have been picked up by a scout and maybe played in some of Liverpool’s European cup finals and maybe knocked a World Cup off. I only didn’t make it as one of the top players of my generation due to my asthma. Bob Paisley said i reminded him of Kenny Dalglish and only thing different was that I was much better than him in the air. I was told to keep playing for my pub team and the scouts would still come to watch me. I told him to F@£k off. That was that really.
I didn't make it to the top but I should have! Being a crap footballer doesn't mean you should be deprived of s great career.

Back