Lens Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

WASTID

Striker
Right you RTG experts, time to provide some of your wordly advice please.

Few years back now got myself a Pentax K-30 with two Kit Lenses - 18-55mm and 50-200mm pretty much this package:
Still don't get to do as much work with is as I would like (kids - bah humbug), but have got some decent stuff over the years that I've been fairly happy with but think its about time I started to try and up my game a bit.

Bought a 50mm f1.8 Prime Lens few weeks ago and the quality of the images are noticeably better.

With Christmas on the horizon (where I am tempted to tell the missus and old folks to just give me a bit of cash instead of wasting money on jumpers and faff!!), the question is, what is it best to upgrade to next?

Using the 50mm has its limitations for getting snapshots of the family during birthdays and gatherings etc, so thinking that the 35mm Prime is probably worth nabbing considering its only £99 and Pentax credit offers on the go at the moment through Amazon.

If I simply upgraded the Kit Lens to the WR versions I suspect the upgrade won't really be all that noticeable, or will it?

Any tips on the Tamron / Sigma ranges?
Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro would potentially remove the need for the two 18-55mm and 50-200mm Pentax Kit lens and looks to be about £100 cheaper than the Pentax 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 ED SDM lens.

I don't think I would be using a 35mm on an APS-C camera for family snapshots, they wouldn't thank you for it. (shorter focal lengths accentuate features so they will all appear to have big noses etc).

Primes are obviously generally where the best value and best image quality is at, but obviously a zoom is more practical as you don't need to swap lenses or walk backwards and forwards as much.

I have no experience of any of the lenses you are talking about, but have 3 Sigma lenses and all perform well optically (on Canon). Focussing for them is realtively slow, but is accurate and sharpness is good for the money.

For ultimate value, it might also be worth looking at second-hand A series lenses (manual focus). Not much use for photos of the family or anything moving much. but there will be bargains to be had if you can be bothered faffing around a bit to take your photos.

Think ideally just want to get better quality photos than currently get from the kits lens.

The Prime is a notable step up, but downside when using at a birthday party was not being able to get photos at times die to space limitations.

Enjoy getting out and about by the coast or out in the sticks so want to be able to improve on nature / wildlife shots.

I don't think I would be using a 35mm on an APS-C camera for family snapshots, they wouldn't thank you for it. (shorter focal lengths accentuate features so they will all appear to have big noses etc).

Primes are obviously generally where the best value and best image quality is at, but obviously a zoom is more practical as you don't need to swap lenses or walk backwards and forwards as much.

I have no experience of any of the lenses you are talking about, but have 3 Sigma lenses and all perform well optically (on Canon). Focussing for them is realtively slow, but is accurate and sharpness is good for the money.

For ultimate value, it might also be worth looking at second-hand A series lenses (manual focus). Not much use for photos of the family or anything moving much. but there will be bargains to be had if you can be bothered faffing around a bit to take your photos.

Either this is the worst piece of advice I've ever read on a photography forum or the three pints of Stella I've had have bladdered me!

A 35mm on a full frame camera is a great lens full stop. On an APS-C you're looking at just over 50mm equivalent. What about that would be unflattering? :confused:

Either this is the worst piece of advice I've ever read on a photography forum or the three pints of Stella I've had have bladdered me!

A 35mm on a full frame camera is a great lens full stop. On an APS-C you're looking at just over 50mm equivalent. What about that would be unflattering? :confused:

That's the small issue with the 50mm Prime. Its effectively around 65-70mm equivalent so not ideal at times around family events. Be getting the 35mm anyway given the price.

More interested in advice on non prime lenses really to upgrade from the two kit lens.

Yer right, its me that must have been bladdered at 9.30am :oops:

35=50 so not bad at all, what was I thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back