Len Ashurst. RIP

One funny memory I have of him was a home match where he went to head a ball coming down from the clouds. He must have had his eyes closed because the ball landed about a good two feet in front of him. The laugh that reverberated around Roker Park was hilarious. Shows the greatness in him, without any sign of embarrassment he just cracked on. Brilliant.

Going by SAFC website he had a really interesting and varied career and was a very nice person. Sounds like a good life. RIP

Remember seeing him at the Centre ( shopping mall) in Qatar in 1991 when we lived there. I was all excited … my wife and family thought I was an idiot. Think he was managing on of the Qatari club sides . RIP , Len

Tooted him at the lights near jolly sailor a few year back. He didn’t need to acknowledge a thumbs up from a random on a motorbike but still gave a hearty smile & wave.
Didn’t he get fined for telling our players he “wanted blood”? Obviously referring to the amount of effort needed. Instead the FA chose to interpret it as being directed at the opposition.

Back