Leighton James suffers stroke.

Agree with a lot of above , type of player hated when against you but thought had a touch of class in his brief spell with us.
Also alluded to was was lack of pace when played for us, reminded me of a left winger version of Nicky Summerbee, no real pace but couldn't half 'whip a cross in.
more of a jack clarke actually, cutting in on his right foot and shooting.....often in to the fulwell end like tbf

Agree with a lot of above , type of player hated when against you but thought had a touch of class in his brief spell with us.
Also alluded to was was lack of pace when played for us, reminded me of a left winger version of Nicky Summerbee, no real pace but couldn't half 'whip a cross in.
Agree, he could put a great cross in. Liked him when he was at Sunderland.

Funnily enough he was in the Burnley side when we beat them with 9 men. They had Tony Morley on one wing, Leighton James on the other wing and we didn’t have any fullbacks. Both were very good wingers yet we managed to hang on for the win.

:( Hope he pulls through. Sometimes people can make a good recovery.

Looking at his wiki page, it was 84-85 he played for us. I remember the name, remember him being talked about but don't remember seeing him play. I started going in the old third division in 87 when I was 10 so he must have still been regularly talked about.

:( Hope he pulls through. Sometimes people can make a good recovery.

Looking at his wiki page, it was 84-85 he played for us. I remember the name, remember him being talked about but don't remember seeing him play. I started going in the old third division in 87 when I was 10 so he must have still been regularly talked about.
84-85 is incorrect, more like 83-84

Last edited:
Used to love watching him - he would stand virtually on the touchline at the other side of the pitch to where play was - like he was a substitute warming up. Then they would wang it across to him and he would run in a la Jack Clarke.

Wishing him a speedy recovery

Back