Leeds city centre

I spent about four hours walking around and maybe just with it being Christmas but I can't remember seeing an empty shop, not like we have down town where large chunks of it are shut. It was heaving too, was like a blast from the past.
That’s it exactly. Nobody goes to them now. I lived in Leeds for a while and when I was back last year the trinity was brilliant but the others had faded into nothing.

Leeds is a lot pre more spread out so if you didn’t know they existed you would not know they were run down now / empty.

Obviously Leeds has been part of the West Yorkshire Combined Authority for many years, so has been been benefiting from the type of investment and economic activity Sunderland and other places in the North East opted to forgo until now.

Obviously Leeds has been part of the West Yorkshire Combined Authority for many years, so has been been benefiting from the type of investment and economic activity Sunderland and other places in the North East opted to forgo until now.
And the surrounding towns and cities are suffering the same. Hopefully they divert some of the money into those places too.

I was blown away mate, I noticed all the work going on too. I think it's called trinity centre?? With the big glass covered roof, that look pretty amazing as it was getting dark and you could see all the Christmas lights and tree outside etc.
Yeah, they were lucky that they’d done enough just work when then the 2008 crash happened that they were able to pick things back up and get it finished. For a ‘new’ shopping centre they made it look nice and it fits in well with the rest of the town.

Bradford cleared a load of their town centre and when 2008 kicked in they basically turned it into a park and left it - I don’t think they’ve sorted it as yet

Really shows you what a busy popular city centre shopping experience can be. It blows away Newcastle and I won't even bring our city centre into it as you could fit our shopping experience in a few streets in Leeds. Was there for a few hours before a gig and you can really feel the buzz not many boarded up shops massive malls etc covered, beautiful old buildings everywhere. It really made me sad at the state we find ours in , I know we've improved it somewhat in the past few years with plans for more and I know population wise Leeds according to goggle anyway is more than twice the size of the city of Sunderland, but I thought all high streets everywhere were fucked, Leeds was like stepping back into the 90s with a thriving shopping scene, again the old buildings man what a beautiful place.
Edinburgh tops the lot imo , Belfast is canny also

Really shows you what a busy popular city centre shopping experience can be. It blows away Newcastle and I won't even bring our city centre into it as you could fit our shopping experience in a few streets in Leeds. Was there for a few hours before a gig and you can really feel the buzz not many boarded up shops massive malls etc covered, beautiful old buildings everywhere. It really made me sad at the state we find ours in , I know we've improved it somewhat in the past few years with plans for more and I know population wise Leeds according to goggle anyway is more than twice the size of the city of Sunderland, but I thought all high streets everywhere were fucked, Leeds was like stepping back into the 90s with a thriving shopping scene, again the old buildings man what a beautiful place.
Me and my lass went on Sunday for the night then had a mooch about shopping until Monday afternoon. Really enjoyed it. Loads of Christmas market places.

Edinburgh tops the lot imo , Belfast is canny also

Edinburgh is terrible, outside the touristy stuff, Glasgow blows Edinburgh out the water nowadays. Excluding the new shopping centre, the whole North side of the railway line is a complete dump and full of touristy cheap shops. Oxford Street in London isn't much better, the two Westfields killed there.

It's crazy it's so close yet it almost feels like Leeds is as far north as the money travels. Like I said for some reason I always had Leeds down as a similar city to Sunderland and Newcastle, it didnt feel at all like either.

Money travels much further than Leeds mind, it goes as far as Richmond / Stokesley. The 6 miles between Stokesley and Hemlington must be one of the biggest contrast in places in such a short distance, one being one of the nicest places in the country and the other well...

They do indeed. Bradford, Wakefield and Huddersfield are all benefiting.
Leeds is as wonderful city to live and work in. I was fortunate to work there and the shops and evening culture are something else. There is a lot of affluence in Leeds and the surrounding towns such as Otley,Wetherby,Knaresborough and Harrogate.
Sheffield has absolutely nowt in the city centre thanks to Meadowhall.
Correct. Meadowhall has hit Sheffield city centre very badly. However, some of the out of centre areas are doing very well. Kelham is wonderful

Last edited:

Back