Leeds city centre

Ditto Manchester and Liverpool. I prefer Sheffield to those three cities although its less impressive architecturally.
Good mate of mine was in Liverpool for two days last week for work having not been there for about 25 years and he came back raving about the place. Bloody loved it, said it was a 'revelation' as I recall.

He's a rugby bloke though, from Lancs and hasn't been through there for the match.

Manchester has had massive central government support and inward investment for 25-30 years now.
Leeds has had a great deal of affluence for as long as I can remember amd has a diverse economy and second only to London in the highly paid legal and financial sectore; Thatcher declared it to be her favourite northerm city.
Liverpool has attracted a lot of investment since Cheri Blair chose her home city to he European City of Culture.
Manchester has had massive central government support and inward investment for 25-30 years now.
Leeds has had a great deal of affluence for as long as I can remember amd has a diverse economy and second only to London in the highly paid legal and financial sectore; Thatcher declared it to be her favourite northerm city.
Liverpool has attracted a lot of investment since Cheri Blair chose her home city to be European City of Culture - a real domino effect has taken place there. Sadly the real north has been ignored yet again.

Last edited:
Lived here all my life. City centre is strong but with scruffy areas. Residential there are 5 or 6 very nice areas and the rest of it is a dump.

I’ve always classed Leeds as one of the UK’s most major cities, and like most major cities in my experience, the centre is decent and thriving, but you couldn’t pay me to live in a lot of the inner city areas.

I think the city centre is kept lively by the students.
The place seems to still have to cope with people living there, not just using higher end shops, so you still have major supermarkets and food retail shops in the city centre.
Last time I was there I was surprised to see so many foreigners there. I'd imagined it full of proud Yorkshire men, but I barely heard a "by gum" the whole time I was there.
I was also stopped twice for directions... from Americans.

It boils down to there being more jobs in Leeds. It's a place of better paid employment too.
I'm looking for work at the moment and there's next to nothing coming up around here for what I do but plenty in Leeds. More people with good income means more investment in to the area.
You need the jobs to kick start the rest. We have been on bottom rung as long as I've known.
Fortunately the levelling up money or HS2 money (I can't remember which, probably both) meant to support the northern economy (though the definition of northern seems to be Leeds and Manchester) has been siphoned off to level roads in London.

I was of the impression most cities are dumps these days. I was in Edinburgh last month and Princes Street was nearly all cheap tourist tat shops and about 5 Poundlands before you got to the St James Quarter. Next is gone, Debenhams is gone, Jenners is gone.

We used to park at Ocean Terminal and get the bus up to the centre when we’ve been through in the past but stopped about a year ago because OT is like a ghost town.
There is only 1 Poundland on Princes St not 5.
Lots of those American Sweet shops.
"Lots" as in "Two"?

Last edited:
I don’t know why people would compare Sunderland with cities like Leeds and Newcastle.
Totally different cities demographically and historically.
I suppose the thing is, anything can change, and we look at these places and wonder why our beloved, historically impressive and important city, can’t have a bit more of a touch of class.

Worked down there the past couple of years doing a day or 2 a week there. Completely agree it's a great city centre. Great shops, bars and restaurants. Doddle to get to on train these days aswell, the odd transpennine meltdown apart

Probably because I've lived here all my life but I don't understand people from elsewhere who rave about it. I get Hull based family coming for the weekend for shopping and the food and drink scene but I very rarely venture into the city centre myself

Back