Lee Johnson

If you count being eight points off the play-offs - and 17 off automatic promotion - as 'pretty much [taking] Barnsley up', then you are quite right.
And significantly had lost more matches than he'd won. Loyal "Little Lee". But of course he'd have to claim it was "his team" that won promotion. There's nothing he's actually achieved.

Am I missing something? On paper he sounds decent, did a good job with Oldham and Barnsley before a mixed time at Bristol in which is for their highest finish in almost 10 years.

What am I missing about him that people don’t like?
He’s not good enough because we are a massive club according to some. :lol: We are in league 1 FFS

Am I missing something? On paper he sounds decent, did a good job with Oldham and Barnsley before a mixed time at Bristol in which is for their highest finish in almost 10 years.

Im of the same opinion, hopefully he gets us playing football and not just hoofball

Im sure he is meant to be a bit of a wanker with a decent sized ego like but im not arsed it we winning games

Well you were completely and utterly wrong about Parkinson

disaster

As many fans will be when they support a new appointment. It's easier to be critical because 90% of the time you'll be proven correct when the average tenure of a manager is 18 months.

I am surprised it's Johnson though, as much as I like him. I had been expecting Cowley.

Thinking back to when we played them in the championship I really liked their style of play (we need a few new players to make it work I think).

They did throw away a 3-0 lead but let’s not dwell on that!

Parkinson to me was yet another desperate move from Donald. I maintain that he saw an easy win with us. I’m certain he saw a club he could throw a bit of money at, get promoted in the first year and then he’d be able to sell us on for a tidy sum. The Grigg move was lazily based around his record at this level and not how he would fit into the team and then when Ross was sacked, they appointed Parkinson because of his record of promotions and those from this level, hoping he’d somehow win promotion last season and again, not whether he’d suit the club and the players.

The Johnson appointment appears to be a strange one. He helped establish Bristol City in the Championship, with 8th, 11th and 17th finishes in the Championship. Regardless of whether we end up with Donald or this silver spooned kid as chairman, it seems odd. Let's be honest, everyone at the club is desperate to get out of this league, so appointing what is probably best described as a "slow burner" seems a tad strange. His record at Oldham wasn't bad, lets be honest, survival at League One level would be a success by their standards and he achieved that. His record at Barnsley wasn't particularly fantastic, they were inconsistent in the league but he did get them to the final of the Checkatrade Trophy.

As many fans will be when they support a new appointment. It's easier to be critical because 90% of the time you'll be proven correct when the average tenure of a manager is 18 months.

I am surprised it's Johnson though, as much as I like him. I had been expecting Cowley.

therew being supportive mate and just spinning pure lies

everyone wants a manager to be successful as everyone wants Sunderland towin

but that was a bad bad appointment and we went backwards, I think you know that too

I believe Johnson will get you up and at a minimuim make you a lower mid table Championship team. Something most of the other managers I've seen linked with your job wouldn't do, in my opnion. His sound bites are infuriating, his football can be amazing or awful, sometimes in the same game, he is not one of the best English managers around. He is a hell of a lot better than your fans opinions of him though, I don't think you can do any better in all honesty.

He'll play pragmatic football with a bit of flair. He is his own downfall by overcomplicating it at times. There is enough negative comments here already so I've tried to add a few positives.

Where is this myth coming from that he plays young players though?

No he didn't, Barnsley were 14th when he left :lol:

If you count being eight points off the play-offs - and 17 off automatic promotion - as 'pretty much [taking] Barnsley up', then you are quite right.

He took you from 17th the season before, built your squad and left 3 months before the end of the season. Heckingbottom went on to be a massive flop and Johnson had 5 years in the Championship. He definietely put huge foundations in to getting you promoted.

This is a fairly mental take mate :D we've just appointed a guy who came within a whisker of getting Bristol City to the playoffs after they were almost relegated under his predecessor and he kept them up. Who was it you thought would seriously come down to L1?

And we should be applying for that grant, we're entitled to it.

I think sometimes our fans get so caught up in what happened with Keane that we forget how extremely lucky we were to get him, and how often that type of appointment goes wrong.
Aye I'm just a bit deflated like. I'm hoping he comes in and proves me wrong and we get out of this shit division to never return. I'm just desperate for the nightmare under Donald to end. 😂

I'm canny sure he had a massive budget at Bristol City though. Broke their transfer record.

I believe Johnson will get you up and at a minimuim make you a lower mid table Championship team. Something most of the other managers I've seen linked with your job wouldn't do, in my opnion. His sound bites are infuriating, his football can be amazing or awful, sometimes in the same game, he is not one of the best English managers around. He is a hell of a lot better than your fans opinions of him though, I don't think you can do any better in all honesty.

He'll play pragmatic football with a bit of flair. He is his own downfall by overcomplicating it at times. There is enough negative comments here already so I've tried to add a few positives.

He took you from 17th the season before, built your squad and left 3 months before the end of the season. Heckingbottom went on to be a massive flop and Johnson had 5 years in the Championship. He definietely put huge foundations in to getting you promoted.

No this is nonsense

he was 14tg when they left

heckinbottom took them on an unreal run, scraped 6th n won playoffs

don’t just make up stuff as it undermines your other points which might be good

what you are saying at Barnsley simply didn’t happen

No this is nonsense

he was 14tg when they left

heckinbottom took them on an unreal run, scraped 6th n won playoffs

don’t just make up stuff as it undermines your other points which might be good

what you are saying at Barnsley simply didn’t happen
I disagree, Johnson had won 7 in a row when he left Barnsley. He left them in a great place.

hes not FSA Pearson or Howe(feel free to add to this list of unobtainable managers) all of whom wouldnt take the job anyway 🤷‍♂️

Im more than happy its not Poyet

Aye I'm just a bit deflated like. I'm hoping he comes in and proves me wrong and we get out of this shit division to never return. I'm just desperate for the nightmare under Donald to end. 😂

I'm canny sure he had a massive budget at Bristol City though. Broke their transfer record.
He had a huge budget, too big almost, with a lot of flops and a few big wins. How much was down to him or the staff above him? I don't know.

Some of the comments on this thread are outrageous, considering you know nothing about him. A young English coach, under 40, keeps a League One yoyo club in a relatively strong position for 4 years in a row, in the division above. Not a lot of managers have done that, and dozens have tried. You can't compare his win % with a manager that's played lower league football, it doesn't make sense. He's done better in the Championship than almost every manager that has been linked.

With that being said, I am SO glad that he has left us.

Last edited:

Back