Leaving the big light on when watching telly

I knew a bloke who used to run a TV repair shop back in the 70s. An old man brought a black & white TV in and left it for repair, claiming there was no picture.
My mate tested it that afternoon and it was working fine so he told the old fella to come and pick it up.
He was back the next day with the same problem, but the TV was working fine in the shop.

My mate took it to the old fella's house and set it up. Sure enough, you couldn't see the picture. Then he realised that the light in the living room was extremely bright and was outshining the feeble output of the TV. Turned off the light and the picture was there.

That's the story he told me anyway.

I have 6 spotlights built into the ceiling. It's like Blackpool and feels like I'm draining the national grid when I occasionally put them on.

I have a nice lamp and modern chandelier thing over the table.

only got wall lights here. I was about to state that if I didn't have the big lights on then i'd be sat in the dark but it appears my lights don't count as the 'big' light so I'm safe.

My da has the light blazing, can barely open my eyes in his house for the glare.

I only have one lamp in the 3 lamp fitting in my living room cos I hate it bright.

Use either a wall lamp or have a couple of hue bulbs in the ceiling lights, then I can set whatever brightness I want.

Just tell Alexa to put the two lamps on. 11 spotlights in the ceiling that only get put on if looking for something.

Was going out with this girl... donkeys years ago and was sat in her parents house one night.. early in the relationship.
She said “ dad can we put the big light out”
He said “no.. i want to keep an eye on where his hands are “

Back