Learning the guitar

• Thread starter Deleted member 37772
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 37772

I must have tried and failed half a dozen times to learn but soon get fed up. What separates those who do from those who quit? I struggle for time admittedly. How do you Stick at when it gets frustrating? I've always wanted to be able to play and to be fair I can bash out some very basic chords but really want to be able to be 'good'.

I must have tried and failed half a dozen times to learn but soon get fed up. What separates those who do from those who quit? I struggle for time admittedly. How do you Stick at when it gets frustrating? I've always wanted to be able to play and to be fair I can bash out some very basic chords but really want to be able to be 'good'.
I stuck with it by trying to learn stuff I actually liked. Everything I tried at first was far, far too difficult for my level but it motivated me to stick with it.

If I heard a riff I liked on the radio I got the tab and tried to learn it. From there I learned basic scales like A Minor pentatonic - the scale a lot of famous rock songs are in for example - and everything started to click more and more.

It's mainly just about enjoying it.

I stuck with it by trying to learn stuff I actually liked. Everything I tried at first was far, far too difficult for my level but it motivated me to stick with it.

If I heard a riff I liked on the radio I got the tab and tried to learn it. From there I learned basic scales like A Minor pentatonic - the scale a lot of famous rock songs are in for example - and everything started to click more and more.

Definitely this. It is self motivating too. If you start sounding ok...then it incentivises you to put more time in to improve.

Definitely this. It is self motivating too. If you start sounding ok...then it incentivises you to put more time in to improve.
Yea, exactly mate. Everyone goes through the initial 'pain period' phase of sounding completely shit, because your fingers haven't calloused, you haven't really got a clue what you're doing, whatever. I think you've just got to realise that it's exactly the same as learning any skill, it takes time and the more time you spend doing it the better you're going to get. So you're best off just enjoying the process.

The first time you pluck out a tune that sounds remotely like the original makes it all worthwhile. Very rewarding.

If you struggle for time you'll never really get good unfortunately.

I suppose it depends on your definition of good.

I enjoyed it immensely but I'm still shit at it!
Small hands that's my problem, small hands!

Back