Last Man Stands

No appetite for this in the NE leagues? Had my first game of the season last night, would never choose it over the red ball format but it’s good knockabout midweek fun.

The website/player rankings format is good too for a bit of extra banter, whether we like or not it’ll undoubtedly appeal more to the T20 generation.

I used to play and it’s shite, all the five overs from one end, swapping ends and shit. All young lads just wanting to smash the ball. It local cricket’s version of the hundred. We’re now back to midweek 20/20 and it attracts much better cricketers and is more enjoyable.

I used to play and it’s shite, all the five overs from one end, swapping ends and shit. All young lads just wanting to smash the ball. It local cricket’s version of the hundred. We’re now back to midweek 20/20 and it attracts much better cricketers and is more enjoyable.
Agreed. Midweek League stuff is good enough up here. There's a strong set up around Tyneside/Northumberland. Makes me think why there isn't a similar one in Durham.

No appetite for this in the NE leagues? Had my first game of the season last night, would never choose it over the red ball format but it’s good knockabout midweek fun.

The website/player rankings format is good too for a bit of extra banter, whether we like or not it’ll undoubtedly appeal more to the T20 generation.

How does it work? What’s the format and playing conditions, etc?

How does it work? What’s the format and playing conditions, etc?
8 players, 20 overs per team, 5 ball overs, anything down leg side is a wide and goes to the batsman’s score, only change ends after 10 overs. Batsmen retires at 50, can come back at the end as “last man stands”, where he bats on his own and basically either has to run 2’s or hit boundaries.

It’s a complete bastardisation of real cricket, it can be fun though, we use it for some of the lads that don’t get a game on a weekend. All scores are uploaded to a global database it’s got a very good stats interface to see where you rank within your team, region, country, world etc..

Last Man Stands

Last edited:
Sounds a canny idea in fairness - for a midweek social game of cricket, if it gets people playing the game and having a chance at getting involved.

Just hope FTECB don't try to bring it in to the County game.

No change of ends etc quickens it. Not saying I think it's a good idea, just that it'll happen. Partly cos the ECB will pressure for it to happen.

I like no changing ends or doing it less often

Id also have groundsmen paint centre and leg stump in the crease to stop these bellends taking ages over the guard

North East Midweek League plays 16 8 ball overs and less changing of ends allows 128 balls per innings on a night, finishing before it gets too dark. The downside being a couple of no balls/wides and you end up bowling a 10 ball over. Which made me tired.

North East Midweek League plays 16 8 ball overs and less changing of ends allows 128 balls per innings on a night, finishing before it gets too dark. The downside being a couple of no balls/wides and you end up bowling a 10 ball over. Which made me tired.

When I played in the midweek league in the early 00’s they used to give two runs for wides and no balls but you didn't have to bowl extra balls.

Felt it worked quite well for the mix of young lads learning the game and old codgers hanging onto their careers in that they didn’t have to bowl any more deliveries than their allotted 24.

Back