Lara 501

I remember being absolutely furious we brought on joke bowlers to make it easy for him towards the end!

To be honest, I’d probably have felt like doing the same. If I was batting in those circumstances I’d like to think I’d retire or have my team declare long before then.

Eyewitness Accounts Of Brian Lara's 501* & 375 – Wisden Almanack

Whilst I can’t remember it at the time, I’m inclined to side with Tim Wellock somewhat - in that whilst it was a remarkable achievement, the fact he was able to do it because the game was heading to an inevitable draw means I don’t think I’ll ever see it as being an all time great innings.
I remember getting in the car after work that day and putting Radio 5 on and being confused as to why they had live commentary of the DURHAM game on. Took a couple of minutes before they explained.

I lost a lot of respect for Lara when he scored his 400 v England, he should have declared a lot earlier to give his team a chance of winning and getting some honour back in a series when we absolutely crushed them. But he went for the selfish option and batted on. An incredible knock of course but for me the team comes first every time.

I lost a lot of respect for Lara when he scored his 400 v England, he should have declared a lot earlier to give his team a chance of winning and getting some honour back in a series when we absolutely crushed them. But he went for the selfish option and batted on. An incredible knock of course but for me the team comes first every time.

Dare say that every fan in the ground were happy for him to go for the record.

Back