Laptop advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's rubbish though (sorry)

People still rocking Macs from 2008-2009 and they run absolutely mint.

Others pay a few hundred quid every couple of/few years for a cheap windows laptop.
nah,they age like anything else,they don't use special components and HDDs still get tired and cluttered. We have x2 2011 iMacs used for nothing more than internet and office and they're dogshit

Spec wise which would you go for?
It depends how much money I had and it's purpose. I know that sounds like I'm dodging, but I'm not really.

For general use, no games i3, 6-8gb ram, integrated graphics
For general use and light games i3-5, 8gb ram, integrated or external graphics with a passmark GPU score above 3000.
For modern games, i5-7 from last 4 generations, 8-16gb ram, something on the passmark GPU score above 8000. 1080p screen
For modern games at very good settings i7 from last 4 generations, 16gb ram, something on the passmark GPU score above 9000-13K. 1080p or 4K screen

I got the second one listed there for £150 second hand on eBay recently. Plays Diablo 3, The Forest, Terraria reasonably on lowish settings.

If I was getting something more powerful, it would be a desktop. That way I'd get a lot more for my money AND some of the parts could be used in my next system, offsetting the cost, so again I could get MOAR!

Add to that AMD's brilliant new CPUs and it's mixed up.

I used the CPU and GPU price/ performance charts here extensively before buying.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back