Langer under pressure?

The Rat

Striker

I find the bloke utterly cringeworthy the way he bangs on like, personally. I watched some of The Test, and was amazed at the level he was managing, every little detail, things that the captain and senior players should be sorting.

Being stuck in a bubble with him the majority of the year must be hard work like.

I dont think he is a bad bloke probably, just find him like David Brent on speed.

Intersting that the one player who spoke remotely out, Khawaja, has just been isolated

Last edited:

I find the bloke utterly cringeworthy the way he bangs on like, personally. I watched some of The Test, and was amazed at the level he was managing, every little detail, things that the captain and senior players should be sorting.

Being stuck in a bubble with him the majority of the year must be hard work like.

I dont think he is a bad bloke probably, just find him like David Brent on speed.

Intersting that the one player who spoke remotely out, Khawaja, has just been isolated

He’s intense as fuck

The bit about the toastie is hilarious mind and I can see his point there 😂

I got one episode into the Test before I gave up. But a couple of observations

1) his interview on TMS a couple of weeks ago was cringey as fuck. I lost any respect I had for him that day
2) sat behind the arm at Edgbaston in the last ashes, was fascinating what a prick Steve Waugh is. Really really really really couldn’t take gentle ribbing about the Aussies being cheats

I watched ‘The Test. He made the team watch the full Stokes/Leach partnership again the morning after.

Nathan Lyon was really pissed off as were a lot of other players. What a shot thing to do. What good was that ever going to do.

It's mental that he's the coach for tests, odi's and T20's, but also a selector. That has to be exerting far too much stress for one person to deal with, especially in times of a pandemic and restricted movements. The man needs help whether he realises it or not.

I remember the Forged In Fire series, and his idolising of the baggy green. Shane Warne said it was pathetic, Jeff Thomson called it "f***ing embarrassing" and it was revealed that Bill Lawry only wore his when cleaning out his guttering to stop pigeon shit landing on his head! :lol:

There was also an anecdote about the 2005 Ashes. Langer led the players to an empty England changing room after the first test at Lord's, sang the Southern Cross, then sprayed beer everywhere.

Adam Gilchrist remembered it and said "We shouldn't be doing this." Then at Edgbaston, little cliques formed in the changing room as England fought back, with the most intense of players sticking together, having not expected the English response that the rest of the team had.

There's no malice meant towards Langer, that much was clear in the documentary as well as the present situation. But an overworked, highly intense, stressed out coach, who has become increasingly defensive and moody, is no good for anyone.

He did a brilliant job in turning around Australia after the fallout from the sandpaper in South Africa. There comes a point, though, where someone has to step in and tell him to let go of the role and keep some sort of legacy intact, before he loses it all, along with his health.

It's mental that he's the coach for tests, odi's and T20's, but also a selector. That has to be exerting far too much stress for one person to deal with, especially in times of a pandemic and restricted movements. The man needs help whether he realises it or not.

I remember the Forged In Fire series, and his idolising of the baggy green. Shane Warne said it was pathetic, Jeff Thomson called it "f***ing embarrassing" and it was revealed that Bill Lawry only wore his when cleaning out his guttering to stop pigeon shit landing on his head! :lol:

There was also an anecdote about the 2005 Ashes. Langer led the players to an empty England changing room after the first test at Lord's, sang the Southern Cross, then sprayed beer everywhere.

Adam Gilchrist remembered it and said "We shouldn't be doing this." Then at Edgbaston, little cliques formed in the changing room as England fought back, with the most intense of players sticking together, having not expected the English response that the rest of the team had.

There's no malice meant towards Langer, that much was clear in the documentary as well as the present situation. But an overworked, highly intense, stressed out coach, who has become increasingly defensive and moody, is no good for anyone.

He did a brilliant job in turning around Australia after the fallout from the sandpaper in South Africa. There comes a point, though, where someone has to step in and tell him to let go of the role and keep some sort of legacy intact, before he loses it all, along with his health.

he's just cringe, I dont think he means badly, but as you say the baggie green stuff. I am no Shane Warne fan, but he's right when he says he went red with embarassment when the aussie players turned up to the Wimbledon royal box wearing suits....wearing their baggie greens
I can’t stand him. Not sure the ‘culture’ has changed that much.

Part of the problem is that they constantly talk about how it has changed and what top blokes they are, I domt think anyone really cares if they arent, but the fact they try to take the moral high ground, and constantly talk about "the line", that when they slip up, like Paine did against India, people jump on them

England's team are top lads, you wont find a better representaton than Joe Root for British sport, but he'd never ever talk about that or say that, he just gets on with it as its his natrual charachter

I remember Paine making a big thing about introducing hand shakes before games on the pitch to show their intentions, its all PR nonsense

Last edited:
Just watched the grade cricketer podcast on YouTube they reckon the atmosphere in the Aussie camp between players and coach is toxic. The story about the cheese toastie is brilliant.
Also their preview of the India/ England series is pretty good also.

Yeah it's a corker! Really sounds like it's a slow motion car crash at the moment is Aussie cricket.
Hopefully Langer will hang around until just after The Ashes.

It'll still be tough as hell for us to win there, but this must be our best chance since 2010 to win there, as long as we don't shoot ourselves in the foot again like we did when Stokes was dropped.

Gillespie waiting in wings.
Hopefully Langer will hang around until just after The Ashes.

It'll still be tough as hell for us to win there, but this must be our best chance since 2010 to win there, as long as we don't shoot ourselves in the foot again like we did when Stokes was dropped.
I think they are there for the taking if we pick the most potent of attacks....Archer,Stone,Wood.Our batting takes care of itself.

Last edited:

Back