Lambton St Boxing Coach

Read the article, what a great man in the world of boxing. Very sad loss.

RIP

Used to work with him years ago, got a phone call off another old workmate this morning. Sound lad John RIP.

Was he at Lambton St.in the early 70s and did he have big sideburns?
R.I.P.
No mate. He joined later in his life. He was a pavior for PWD

Last edited:
My training/boxing coach and a good friend for the last few years. Absolutely top bloke would do anything for anyone. Gutted when I heard. He contracted it from being in Hospital with another infection and looked to be pulling through it all on his texts and then suddenly took a bad turn and then heard he passed.

His funeral was last week and Lamton Street all lined the road and let off balloons in the clubs colours for him (some have been found all over the place miles away!) and then they spontaneously all decided to run alongside the car in honour of him to the crem - it's what he would have done. Boxing won't be the same without him there pushing us all on and having a laugh.

Those thinking it won't affect them and going out taking the piss - be warned. It can take anyone.

My training/boxing coach and a good friend for the last few years. Absolutely top bloke would do anything for anyone. Gutted when I heard. He contracted it from being in Hospital with another infection and looked to be pulling through it all on his texts and then suddenly took a bad turn and then heard he passed.

His funeral was last week and Lamton Street all lined the road and let off balloons in the clubs colours for him (some have been found all over the place miles away!) and then they spontaneously all decided to run alongside the car in honour of him to the crem - it's what he would have done. Boxing won't be the same without him there pushing us all on and having a laugh.

Those thinking it won't affect them and going out taking the piss - be warned. It can take anyone.

Nice post marra.

A year almost I’m we lost a true gentleman and an excellent coach. I’ve had the great fortune to coach alongside John for a few years and to say his looks is hard to accept is an understatement. He would help anyone, have respect for all boxers regardless of age, gender, ability etc. He was always there to assist anyone struggling with anything and always an ear to lend. Such a lovely man and very much missed. See you on the other side of the hill John my good friend.

Back