Lake Como

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Fish

Striker
Thinking of this for next years jaunt, where's the nicer towns and what else is there to go and do in the area? Might well take the road bikes or mtb's

Already done Lake Garda (and Milan) so don't need to be recommended to go there instead.

I've stayed in Bellagio before which is probably one of the bigger villages. It's a nice place if the weathers ok, but being that far north it tends to rain quite a bit.

It's a canny place if you enjoy reading I'd say, if not, you'll probably get bored rather quickly.

its good but brokeback mountain is better

I've stayed in Bellagio before which is probably one of the bigger villages. It's a nice place if the weathers ok, but being that far north it tends to rain quite a bit.

It's a canny place if you enjoy reading I'd say, if not, you'll probably get bored rather quickly.

Thinking of doing a week there and then heading North up into Germany for another week ish

Stayed a week in argegno about 3 years back. It’s a quiet village and it’s on the high speed ferry shuttle so only 25 minutes from como and easy to get about the lake from without spending hours on boats.

Few good restaurants and bars there and a cracking little village square. There’s also a lido and easy enough to swim in the lake there. Canny boat hire place too.

Always amazed at how good value it is. Eating out probably cheaper than the north east

Thinking of this for next years jaunt, where's the nicer towns and what else is there to go and do in the area? Might well take the road bikes or mtb's

Already done Lake Garda (and Milan) so don't need to be recommended to go there instead.
I spent a few days there last summer during a big road trip around Europe. We stayed in Varenna. Small place but absolutely beautiful and much cheaper than Bellagio etc.

The ferry there runs to all of the other places on the lake regularly, so you can explore the whole place from there easily.

Would highly recommend it.

Check out if there’s anything on at Monza while you’re going to be there. Don’t think the GP is till September but there might be other racing on.

Varese is nice for a visit. Depends how far you want to go. I enjoyed Torino when I was there but anywhere in the mountains is going to be good.

Some great drives. When we were there a vintage Mercedes rally was taking place which was brilliant to see. Not sure about cycling round the lake itself as traffic can be busy and you’ll have all sorts of idiots racing motor bikes, cars etc round quite narrow roads in places.

A tour of the lake will see you take in Bellagio, Lecco etc but I’d be going for boat trips as well as driving.

It’s a spit to get to the Swiss border and you could even pass through Liechtenstein en route to the Black Forest.

We've been to Lake Como a few times. Stayed a week in Varenna, lovely little place but limited to just a few places to eat and drink. Bellagio is a lovely place to visit and wander around the little alleys and promenade area. Menaggio is ok but less attractive than Bellagio. There are loads of villas, etc. to visit at that end of the lake, we just used to jump on the ferries to get around.
If you fancy somewhere a bit larger to stay, Como is a cracking little town with loads of little bars and restaurants dotted around. We have stayed there twice, both times for a week. If we wanted to visit up the lake, we just jumped on a bus there, for quickness, and took the ferry back, for a more leisurely pace and the views on the lake.
It's a beautiful place to visit but is possibly more suited to the older tourist rather than the busier, more sporty Lake Garda style holiday, in my humble opinion.

Train to Milan goes from varenna which is handy if you want a day or two in the city like.
What’s already been said above seems spot on from what I saw this summer just gone.
Deffo an older Persons place mind.

I spent a few days there last summer during a big road trip around Europe. We stayed in Varenna. Small place but absolutely beautiful and much cheaper than Bellagio etc.

The ferry there runs to all of the other places on the lake regularly, so you can explore the whole place from there easily.

Would highly recommend it.
Enough to do for a week or more?

We've been to Lake Como a few times. Stayed a week in Varenna, lovely little place but limited to just a few places to eat and drink. Bellagio is a lovely place to visit and wander around the little alleys and promenade area. Menaggio is ok but less attractive than Bellagio. There are loads of villas, etc. to visit at that end of the lake, we just used to jump on the ferries to get around.
If you fancy somewhere a bit larger to stay, Como is a cracking little town with loads of little bars and restaurants dotted around. We have stayed there twice, both times for a week. If we wanted to visit up the lake, we just jumped on a bus there, for quickness, and took the ferry back, for a more leisurely pace and the views on the lake.
It's a beautiful place to visit but is possibly more suited to the older tourist rather than the busier, more sporty Lake Garda style holiday, in my humble opinion.
Cheers for that. My one doubt is there being enough to do. We did a fortnight in Garda when the kids were still coming with us and that was one of the best holidays we have had. Need a relaxing break but still want plenty to see and do.

Check out if there’s anything on at Monza while you’re going to be there. Don’t think the GP is till September but there might be other racing on.

Varese is nice for a visit. Depends how far you want to go. I enjoyed Torino when I was there but anywhere in the mountains is going to be good.

Some great drives. When we were there a vintage Mercedes rally was taking place which was brilliant to see. Not sure about cycling round the lake itself as traffic can be busy and you’ll have all sorts of idiots racing motor bikes, cars etc round quite narrow roads in places.

A tour of the lake will see you take in Bellagio, Lecco etc but I’d be going for boat trips as well as driving.

It’s a spit to get to the Swiss border and you could even pass through Liechtenstein en route to the Black Forest.
Checked out a cycling website and it didn’t sound too bad, 100 miles to circumnavigate but could split that over two days and get ferry back. Busy area near Como but generally relatively quiet and flat.

The Black Forest could be a good choice for second week. Can’t think I’ve ever been there unless we went with the folks but don’t remember going that far down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back