Laid off work

Status
Not open for further replies.

I hope you all find better positions.
It's never a good time for this sort of news but it is particularly shitty at this time of year. Good luck.

While I understand that some employers get very frustrated when they have employed somebody who turns out to be a bell end and they need to be able to get rid of them, this 12 month carte blanche rule is wide open to abuse.

I did 6 months in the private sector at the beginning of the year and out of the 5 of us that they employed in a new branch of their company, by August they had sacked three, I resigned and the fifth resigned but was persuaded to reconsider after they increased his pay.

They managed to employ all of us on wages of at least 30% below the going rate with a promise that this would be reviewed after a three month probationary period (more fool me but I thought they'd realise my worth and raise it to the going rate on review). On top of this they had set an unbearable workload and unsustainable targets.

The three month period dragged out to five months and in some cases the period was extended further for petty reasons. The pay rises that were promised were nothing like what were discussed.

The company had a huge turn over of staff and it seems that they were abusing this 12 month rule to get mainly inexperienced staff in with false promises, only to see them bail out after their promised pay rise failed to materialise, or they sacked them without a reason.

The company were making a fortune out of this system even with the high turnover of staff and the directors didn't bat an eye lid when sacking people.

I dread to think how they will behave when they are allowed to bin people who have 2 years or under of service.

That's what's happening to me. Getting laid off next Friday then back on 3rd of Jan. Could be worse though, they've finished quite a few lads completely in the last couple of weeks.
as teed mentioned it was very popular years ago particularly in construction and haulage industries..happened to me one year,the next year i could see it coming and emptied some iron filings mixed with oil into the engine..volvo truck engines are very expensive apparently

Got laid off work yesterday thanks to the bloody government. Was managing a contract installing solar panels but due to the drop in tariffs workload has been halved and I have been sacrificed as the other manager is the directors brother. Oh well merry xmas

Sorry to hear about your job loss and it couldn't have happened at a worse time.
It strikes a chord mate cos my son is in the same game as you. Touch wood but up to now he seems okay.
Worrying times.

as teed mentioned it was very popular years ago particularly in construction and haulage industries..happened to me one year,the next year i could see it coming and emptied some iron filings mixed with oil into the engine..volvo truck engines are very expensive apparently

I wonder how long it will be before they bring back the 12 week contract anarl?

I wonder how long it will be before they bring back the 12 week contract anarl?

i think new legislation coming or has came in that my ex workplace was shitting about, they relied on agency, if they had worked 12 weeks or more over any of our sites they were entitled to the same rate as full time employees.
so they couldnt give you 5 weeks get shout then another 6 weeks its cumulative or summit, i didnt pay much attention.

i think new legislation coming or has came in that my ex workplace was shitting about, they relied on agency, if they had worked 12 weeks or more over any of our sites they were entitled to the same rate as full time employees.
so they couldnt give you 5 weeks get shout then another 6 weeks its cumulative or summit, i didnt pay much attention.

All that stuff will be reversed in the not too distant future, one thing you can count on, the Tory's will strip the workers of their rights as soon as they can.

All that stuff will be reversed in the not too distant future, one thing you can count on, the Tory's will strip the workers of their rights as soon as they can.

Aye, but they're giving us the new bridge which was originally proposed under the Labour government. Gawd bless the tories.

Got laid off work yesterday thanks to the bloody government. Was managing a contract installing solar panels but due to the drop in tariffs workload has been halved and I have been sacrificed as the other manager is the directors brother. Oh well merry xmas

not Carillion is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back