Kobe Bryant Dead

The ceiling was 2500 and he was going to fly at 1500 if I remember correctly. Surely 1500 ft is plenty of altitude? Might have the numbers wrong but don't really want to re watch the video.

Not when you're flying in steep terrain. 2500 ASL does not equal 2500 AGL, and same for 1500. There are several peaks in those mountains well over 2500 feet.

Makes sense. They went well below their agreed flight level from what I could make out so I dunno if this will be caused by the pilot or a malfunction.

It's hard to tell from what I'm reading, but one thing to remember is that flying VFR (at least in the US) requires you to stay 500 feet below cloud so that IFR traffic in the clouds has time to see and avoid you once they emerge. If the cloud ceiling goes down to 1800, suddenly your max altitude under VFR is 1300. Obviously you'd violate that rather than crash, but at that point you're supposed to transition to IFR, which is going to cause issues where he was - busy airspace in the mountains. You'd be needing to fly visual while staying legal in tough conditions while getting vectors from ATC to transition to IFR while you couldn't see the peaks around you. That's a heavy workload for a single pilot. I don't fly helicopters, but it's pretty obvious when you start seeing what the failure mode is for a simple change in weather why others were staying on the ground.

I don't follow basketball and had never heard of him before the crash. The really sad element to this is he had his 13 year old daughter with him and she died as well. Seriously I don't understand why anybody apart from forces personal would get on a helicopter voluntarily. I know I wouldn't.

Back