Knee replacement

mackem1989

Striker
Anyone younger had one privately? Nhs won’t do it till I’m 55,

Had numerous injuries off playing footie 17 operations later and still no joy keep asking but keep getting the no.

What price you looking at and where did you use and what was the recovery time etc.

Cheers all!

Both my knees are shot. Can’t play football anymore. Difficult walking up the stairs or weight bearing. I’m only 33.

Realise this doesn’t answer your question, just weighing in.

almost no cartilage left in my right knee and been told I will need a knee replacement at some point in the future. Still some way off thankfully, has been getting a little worse in the last few months though and impacts my walking a bit

After random knee issues over past 10 year or so playing footy and being diagnosed with mild arthritis about 8 year ago, the past couple of years have become more problematic. Playing footy would cause stiffness and pain the following day, which would last from a few days to weeks after. Had another x-ray 6 months back and follow up with a physio and diagnosis is still simply mild arthritis! I was given strengthening exercises to follow for a couple of months - all felt fine until I'd play again and same reaction to it. After a couple of attempts I went back to physio and she said she's certain there's no meniscus tears or ligament issues (pain is on medial side of knee generally) and even if there was the approach now is not to do surgery are it will only increase the speed of the arthritis worsening (eg. removal of meniscus tear).

Anyway, tried playing again a couple of weeks back and it went after 20 minutes this time - absolute agony. Retired from footy as I've basically been unable to walk more than 10 minutes outside before a sharp pain starts and I have to hobble home! To me this doesn't sound like how I imagine arthritis to feel like (assumed a constant nagging pain not sharp/acute pain when OK other times when walking). I've booked myself an MRI scan privately as I want to be sure it's nothing more than arthritis and at least I'll have a benchmark to use when assessing any future changes etc. I'm nearly 54 so have had a good innings playing footy and I've reluctantly accepted that's it - the twisting, turning and kicking is what gives the sharp pains.

A few of questions though to you fellow sufferers:

1) Is acute and sudden onset of a sharp pain something you've experienced with arthritis (OA)?
2) Do you manage this pain with any prescription medication?
3) If you take medication do you take it constantly or only when a flare up starts? Or maybe you take them pre-empting a flare-up (ahead of more strenuous activity)?
4) Did you have any treatment / surgery to improve things?

Cheers!

Had numerous injuries off playing footie 17 operations later and still no joy keep asking but keep getting the no.

What price you looking at and where did you use and what was the recovery time etc.

Cheers all!

Will be watching the thread with interest. Both knees are gone. Consequence of ignoring the start of patella tendonitis and playing football through it.

I'm 37 but still play with the aid of paracetamol and antiinflammatory. It's easier to play football than to say crawl, absolute agony.

I went for a MRI to see if my medial ligament had reattached correctly after a rupture, the doctor said. I have some bad news your tendons in both knees are in a very bad way. I said yeah but I'm here for my medial ligament. He said oh, I see, that is fine.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the nhs at the minute, I cannot even get an appointment at the m. Skeletal unit. Been trying for 3 months.
After random knee issues over past 10 year or so playing footy and being diagnosed with mild arthritis about 8 year ago, the past couple of years have become more problematic. Playing footy would cause stiffness and pain the following day, which would last from a few days to weeks after. Had another x-ray 6 months back and follow up with a physio and diagnosis is still simply mild arthritis! I was given strengthening exercises to follow for a couple of months - all felt fine until I'd play again and same reaction to it. After a couple of attempts I went back to physio and she said she's certain there's no meniscus tears or ligament issues (pain is on medial side of knee generally) and even if there was the approach now is not to do surgery are it will only increase the speed of the arthritis worsening (eg. removal of meniscus tear).

Anyway, tried playing again a couple of weeks back and it went after 20 minutes this time - absolute agony. Retired from footy as I've basically been unable to walk more than 10 minutes outside before a sharp pain starts and I have to hobble home! To me this doesn't sound like how I imagine arthritis to feel like (assumed a constant nagging pain not sharp/acute pain when OK other times when walking). I've booked myself an MRI scan privately as I want to be sure it's nothing more than arthritis and at least I'll have a benchmark to use when assessing any future changes etc. I'm nearly 54 so have had a good innings playing footy and I've reluctantly accepted that's it - the twisting, turning and kicking is what gives the sharp pains.

A few of questions though to you fellow sufferers:

1) Is acute and sudden onset of a sharp pain something you've experienced with arthritis (OA)?
2) Do you manage this pain with any prescription medication?
3) If you take medication do you take it constantly or only when a flare up starts? Or maybe you take them pre-empting a flare-up (ahead of more strenuous activity)?
4) Did you have any treatment / surgery to improve things?

Cheers!

How much did the private MRI scan cost if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
How much did the private MRI scan cost if you don't mind me asking?

I didn't even realise self referral for an MRI was a thing until I searched how much it cost privately. Anyway, it varies depending on availability/location. There are a few sites which are basically a portal into various places offering MRI's. I used Vista Health and ended up selecting a scan at North Tyneside General (I guess this is the semi-privatised NHS for you!). Searched last Friday and got one for this Friday. £325 all in, included a video appointment today with a GP and results within a few days to myself and my own doctors.

The physio wasn't offering another MRI as she was certain it's arthritis but I thought it worth it for peace of mind and the fact despite the strengthening exercises and OK from her, I kept breaking down when I played.

I didn't even realise self referral for an MRI was a thing until I searched how much it cost privately. Anyway, it varies depending on availability/location. There are a few sites which are basically a portal into various places offering MRI's. I used Vista Health and ended up selecting a scan at North Tyneside General (I guess this is the semi-privatised NHS for you!). Searched last Friday and got one for this Friday. £325 all in, included a video appointment today with a GP and results within a few days to myself and my own doctors.

The physio wasn't offering another MRI as she was certain it's arthritis but I thought it worth it for peace of mind and the fact despite the strengthening exercises and OK from her, I kept breaking down when I played.

Thanks for that. Injured what appears to be cartilage in-between my knee and quads, hasn't healed at all between now and December. If anything it seems to tear a little bit.more every time I do something it doesn't like.

Went to my GP who said I need an MRI scan but that would have to be referred my the m skeletal department. I have been waiting for an appointment with them since end of Jan.

Think I will see a decent physio and depending what they say, look at the private route.

Can't really afford it but don't want to spend my last couple of years of football sidelined.

Thanks for that. Injured what appears to be cartilage in-between my knee and quads, hasn't healed at all between now and December. If anything it seems to tear a little bit.more every time I do something it doesn't like.

Went to my GP who said I need an MRI scan but that would have to be referred my the m skeletal department. I have been waiting for an appointment with them since end of Jan.

Think I will see a decent physio and depending what they say, look at the private route.

Can't really afford it but don't want to spend my last couple of years of football sidelined.

Yeah, I'm a bit further down the line with the MSK department. Once you see them they will probably just give you strengthening exercises and depending on what the issue is, that's maybe all you need. Time and patience probably sorts most of this stuff but the older you get the longer it takes!

Mine is probably arthritis but the acute pain is not what I expected but the GP today said the same. At least I'll know for sure after the scan. Good luck mate as I know it's so frustrating when you want to play but can't!

A private physio is probably a good first step for you.

Yeah, I'm a bit further down the line with the MSK department. Once you see them they will probably just give you strengthening exercises and depending on what the issue is, that's maybe all you need. Time and patience probably sorts most of this stuff but the older you get the longer it takes!

Mine is probably arthritis but the acute pain is not what I expected but the GP today said the same. At least I'll know for sure after the scan. Good luck mate as I know it's so frustrating when you want to play but can't!

Think ive just started with a bit of degenerative meniscus tear. Just started on the strengthening stuff , amazing how much superficial relief a bit of careful quad work gives as the supporting muscle has sometimes just lost inclination to trigger and fire rather than become wasted .
Expecting at least 3 months before its sensation free and flare ups from now on but its worth doing the modest amount of work to avoid full arthritis if possible .
To all the lads still playing footy with knee pain or rushing back , pack it in until you can play pain free or you'll regret it for absolutely certain . Sorry to piss on your chips but you will.

What was the outcome of the scan. I've had to give up running due to very similar symptoms. Had x-rays done...MSK say it's mild arthritis, GP says arthritis but at times it's very painful even just walking. It's now painful in my left lower leg as well. My knee doesn't hurt to touch at all. It's very frustrating that MSK basically say tough shit, you're 54 and it's not bad enough for a knee replacement. Take some ibuprofen and come back in 6 years if it's worse !

What was the outcome of the scan. I've had to give up running due to very similar symptoms. Had x-rays done...MSK say it's mild arthritis, GP says arthritis but at times it's very painful even just walking. It's now painful in my left lower leg as well. My knee doesn't hurt to touch at all. It's very frustrating that MSK basically say tough shit, you're 54 and it's not bad enough for a knee replacement. Take some ibuprofen and come back in 6 years if it's worse !
The scan confirmand arthritis (mild to moderate rather than just mild). Meniscus, ligaments all fine. Partial wear of cartilage, osteophytes (spurs), bone odoema (bruising) and effusion (swelling).
Things have settled down a lot but it's taken almost 3 months since it flared up during my last attempt at footy. I read that it can take 3-12 months sometime for things to calm down. I'm almost pain free walking for a couple of hours a day.
I think main thing was just giving it time but I also did the usual strengthening stuff but also found a physio on YouTube who said a lot of issues are weak glutes so concentrated on that. Bought an exercise bike for cardio but slowly increased walks from 10 minutes at a time etc.
I tried kicking a ball gently in the garden and felt the twinge on the knee so that's definitely not happening again!
I think the acute pain was due to the bruised bone and that can take a long time to heal.
Your lower leg pain can be referred pain from the knee, common down the outside of the shin which I've had occasionally. I found that ibuprofen wasn't helping with the acute pain I was getting (tablets and gel).

Main thing that causes issues is repetitive trauma so if you are running with an issue then it won't improve. You need to let it settle down, strengthen your supporting muscles and try again gradually. To be fair I did try that but it was still too much so I've just had to adjust and do other things!

Last edited:
The scan confirmand arthritis (mild to moderate rather than just mild). Meniscus, ligaments all fine. Partial wear of cartilage, osteophytes (spurs), bone odoema (bruising) and effusion (swelling).
Things have settled down a lot but it's taken almost 3 months since it flared up during my last attempt at footy. I read that it can take 3-12 months sometime for things to calm down. I'm almost pain free walking for a couple of hours a day.
I think main thing was just giving it time but I also did the usual strengthening stuff but also found a physio on YouTube who said a lot of issues are weak glutes so concentrated on that. Bought an exercise bike for cardio but slowly increased walks from 10 minutes at a time etc.
I tried kicking a ball gently in the garden and felt the twinge on the knee so that's definitely not happening again!
I think the acute pain was due to the bruised bone and that can take a long time to heal.
Your lower leg pain can be referred pain from the knee, common down the outside of the shin which I've had occasionally. I found that ibuprofen wasn't helping with the acute pain I was getting (tablets and gel).

Main thing that causes issues is repetitive trauma so if you are running with an issue then it won't improve. You need to let it settle down, strengthen your supporting muscles and try again gradually. To be fair I did try that but it was still too much so I've just had to adjust and do other things!
Glutes and hip abductors / adductors are major players . I think the root cause of mine has been a hip strain that i got down to managable levels but never completely eradicated . Its resulted in my knee subtly falling inward when i walk which over time has thrown weight on the inside knee.
One thing i have found helpful is a home electro muscle stimulator unit ( not the tens function ) . Really helps to remind the muscles to fire when youre doing moderate quad / glute building exercise. Use it a lot on the vastus medialis just watching telly while doing a light thigh extension .

Glutes and hip abductors / adductors are major players . I think the root cause of mine has been a hip strain that i got down to managable levels but never completely eradicated . Its resulted in my knee subtly falling inward when i walk which over time has thrown weight on the inside knee.
One thing i have found helpful is a home electro muscle stimulator unit ( not the tens function ) . Really helps to remind the muscles to fire when youre doing moderate quad / glute building exercise. Use it a lot on the vastus medialis just watching telly while doing a light thigh extension .
The odd thing with my scan is that it showed the partial carriage loss is on the lateral side and some around the patella. The acute pain I was getting is on medial side! I wondered if it was causing the medial side to open up more as the knee tilted towards the lateral side? Anyway, basically concentrate a lot on strengthening the supporting muscles is the way to go! I know for sure that I never bothered much with strengthening or conditioning and just used to play. You see pro players and most have huge quads etc showing the work going into building them up to avoid injuries.

Cheers all!

had mine done last june when i was 48.. good luck with it..

i think i was back on a static bike in the gym, in about 6 week or so after... definitely recommend doing as much as you can, in the run up to the op. cycling worked a treat for me..
Both my knees are shot. Can’t play football anymore. Difficult walking up the stairs or weight bearing. I’m only 33.

Realise this doesn’t answer your question, just weighing in.

same as you at your young age ;) i hope things improve dramatically for you..

Last edited:
I’m not sure if this will be helpful to you, but just in case it is…
I had my right knee replaced in about 2012 at 58yrs old. I had a bad fall five years earlier when out walking the dogs. I had slipped on wet grass and slid down a grassy/rocky track, and I bashed and twisted both knees, a shoulder and a finger. Both dogs came running to see what was happening. I was lying on the ground and the youngest stood over me with a paw on each shoulder, his nose almost touching mine and staring into my eyes with a concerned look on his face. It would have brought tears to my eyes had they not already been there through pain.
Sorry, I have digressed.
I hadn’t broken anything and gradually got back to normal. The hospital doctor said it was likely I could develop arthritis in the affected joints. I did, and had injections into my right knees which worked like magic for a while.
After about twelve months I was limpIng around in pain again, becoming increasingly immobile. I went back to my GP. He referred me to the Nuffield at Chandlers Ford for tests and scans, which showed that I had no cartilage left on the inner side of the joint and was rubbing bone on bone. I was able to take the financial hit (about £9k at the time) and opted to have the knee replaced. Everything seemed to happen very quickly after that. I had the operation two or three weeks later. The next afternoon I was helped out of bed and was able to move around on crutches, already in much less pain than I had been - though that was mainly due to the pain killers injected into the joint.
A couple of days later I left hospital on two crutches, and after six weeks (one session a week) of physiotherapy I was walking about pain free and without a limp.
By September 2021 my other knee had deteriorated much the same way as the first, so it was very much “ rinse and repeat”. Same hospital, different surgeon, neater scar and by then a whopping £16k cost.
It takes between six months and a year for all of the swelling to go down, and I still find kneeling uncomfortable, but for me the operations were transformative.
I am aware that some people don’t have such successful outcomes.
Good luck with whatever transpires.

I was a bit of an athlete back in the day.
Like many it catches up with you.
I had a partial knee replacement in 2012.
I was thinking I'd be back to full health and the likes dreaming of returning to football but in truth it never worked out right. Served a purpose. The surgeon Said the knee was shot and to get as much out of this one as I could.
He said he know when I was ready.

November last year it started. By jan it was excruciating.
I had the full replacement on 4th April and the pain is considerably less. Still limping a bit but the operation was superb compared to the last.
The pain is horrific but as I had a shock last time I was prepared and it was all well managed.

My advice to anyone is go as long as you can without any operation.
Any questions I'll certainly help answer. 👍

Back