Kids with Autism

Who is it mate that once you push for an EHCP that makes the final decision? What sort of post do they hold?
It’s not the school. They help with the application process but they don’t make the decision on whether an EHCP is awarded.

Surprised the school didn’t support you earlier in his education ATS, normally they scream out for the extra money.

Thanks for the response people. Been good this week. Just finished my last block of shifts so off for four days now. He had his rugby union training at North Shields Sunday and that’s his happy place.

Like a new kid compared to when I came on here for a moan and that’s usual. I just wanted to vent the other day.

And I hope it didn’t come across as if I was looking for sympathy as there’s much much people worse off than us. Even though we have learnt how to react and deal with the bairn it still gets me down when he has a bad time.

I mean the other week he cried for a week nearly non stop cos he was scared to die.
Sitting in my arms crying until he fell asleep saying daddy don’t let me die.

Then two days later he’s doing the same but saying daddy let me die cos my head hurts.

I mean what the fuck. I started this thread and thanks for reply’s it does mean a lot. If anyone is going through anything similar or needs to talk about anything I’m free for. Pm. Take care people. Love Rhubarb. X
I'm an adult with Autism who's been rediagnosed at 55 after originally being diagnosed at 8. File disappeared. I'm Autism Level 1, formerly Asperger's, very high functioning and am low maintenance. I've odd bad moments where I do struggle.

I can see behaviours I exhibited as a child and young adult that were clear indicators - meltdowns, refusing to do things, etc. and struggling in my last few years of school when I'd been high achiving.

I got my own act together as an adult, eventually making it through University to Ph.D. and my spikey profile actually suited doing one - I'm an outlyer in that I'm one of a set of ASDers who have collected qualifications so to speak (though I suspect there's a lot of academics on the scale too). Hyperfocus can be a bitch but also an asset with research-style work as I'm good with patterns in data. Social skills, humour developed a little later than for most I'll admit. I make a point of not losing my temper with people as it can lead to meltdown to the point that a lady who lost it with me (and blew me out) over a nothing mistake must have thought I was weird because I point blank refused to lose it with her in return. She basically did everything text book you should not do with someone on the scale.

What I'm getting at is with the right support, then there's no reason why your son can't achive his potential at whatever level that turns out to be. That might just be getting through his exams at school. That disappeared file cost me extra support, more time in exams (I enterd a shut-down state for first half hour of exams due to stress), etc. What has happened with me since has been down to me without that support, which I'm now beginning to get.

Make sure you get it as it will make your life so much easier and also make your son's life easier too.

I'm seeing what from my own experiences I can give to help a workmate. Her younger son is certainly AD-HD and almost certainly mildly autistic too.

Last edited:
my ex partners kid has it her husband my friend says none his other friend as much time with him as you do bulmers. its time and understanding they need. Probably my best friend is diagnosed with it, he thinks i have it but he just doesn't think normies can be as intelligent as him. He is a tech author and tech advocate sailed the tall ships we worked closely together on 30 high street shops. Just tell the lad if he is he is a genuis and get him into computing but keep him away from server rooms i had to threaten to quit to get my friend by my desk they put him be the servers low level noise drives them insane. also the fire extinguisher being in the wrong place. you just have to give support. However apart from his daft choice in women he has a beautiful son earns 6 figures and has a lovely sports car he loves so it doesn't have to be all bad

Last edited:
There are some sweeping generalisations about autism in the post above. The spectrum is very broad and things that affect one autistic person don't affect another.

It's also a myth that autistic people are more intelligent on average and that they can all (even if you narrow it down to the high functioning end) get great jobs working on computers or programming software etc.

There are some sweeping generalisations about autism in the post above. The spectrum is very broad and things that affect one autistic person don't affect another.

It's also a myth that autistic people are more intelligent on average and that they can all (even if you narrow it down to the high functioning end) get great jobs working on computers or programming software etc.
not sure about that most high level programmers claim they on the spectrum i don't think i am but don't dismiss the possibility. my head is messed up at the moment but i see autistic behaviour in most of my jobs for 24 years of work and as my best friend is austistic my ex partners son is autistic several other devs claim they are its probably true

not sure about that most high level programmers claim they on the spectrum i don't think i am but don't dismiss the possibility. my head is messed up at the moment but i see autistic behaviour in most of my jobs for 24 years of work and as my best friend is austistic my ex partners son is autistic several other devs claim they are its probably true

The data on it is quite clear rather than trying to use your own anecdotal evidence.

Only around 16% of autistic people are employed full time and the majority of those are in low paying jobs due to issues the disorder causes.

It’s always been a myth that your average autistic person is some genius computer programmer.

The data on it is quite clear rather than trying to use your own anecdotal evidence.

Only around 16% of autistic people are employed full time and the majority of those are in low paying jobs due to issues the disorder causes.

It’s always been a myth that your average autistic person is some genius computer programmer.
i'd disagree most are not diagnosed from knowing a few i see the signs and have even been told i might be my self

i'd disagree most are not diagnosed from knowing a few i see the signs and have even been told i might be my self

Disagree with actual studies on autistic employment rate?

Even if you factor in those undiagnosed it would still be well below the full time employment rate for neurotypical people.

What you’re doing is called ableism. Pretending everyone with the condition is the same and they can all work as a programmer.

its often not diagnosed as its a spectrum . ironicall my autistic mate writes spectrum emulators for fun

Even if you factor in those undiagnosed it would still be well below the full time employment rate for neurotypical people.

What you’re doing is called ableism. Pretending everyone with the condition is the same and they can all work as a programmer.
no i'm saying high functional ones can and its a good option as they don't need to interact with people so much so they will be calmer and cope better

Last edited:
no i'm saying high functional ones can and its a good option as they don't need to interact with people so much so they will be calmer and cope better

No, they can’t. Not all high functioning autistic people are the same and high functioning doesn’t mean high intelligence, just that they can function with little to no support needs.

Such an outdated view on the condition. It’s like the people who think every autistic person is like Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory.

Modern software development roles actually have quite a bit of social interaction. Daily standups, meetings with clients etc. Gone are the days of someone sitting writing out lines of code for 8 hours…

Last edited:
No, they can’t. Not all high functioning autistic people are the same and high functioning doesn’t mean high intelligence, just that they can function with little to no support needs.

Such an outdated view on the condition. It’s like the people who think every autistic person is like Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory.

Modern software development roles actually have quite a bit of social interaction. Daily standups, meetings with clients etc. Gone are the days of someone sitting writing out lines of code for 8 hours…
no really they haven't they talk and talk then we do the job i drink to get through the meeting then i design the code 100 people on zoom discussing house of congress and senate data and potus. i zone out and fix it.

no really they haven't they talk and talk then we do the job i drink to get through the meeting then i design the code 100 people on zoom discussing house of congress and senate data and potus. i zone out and fix it.

You're talking absolute gibberish and it's sad to see someone who seems to know so many autistic people lumping them all into the same box.

You're talking absolute gibberish and it's sad to see someone who seems to know so many autistic people lumping them all into the same box.
im talking about my own experience i did do cyber security for the state department. one time i told them to fuck off as i was looking after my ex in corfu i said she was more important than potus. I forgot she was in the room she was on her phone to her ten year old autistic kid going i'm more important than the president and hes the most important man in the world. its only rubbish if it is not true

My Mrs just brought up the conversation with me last week about whether we should look into getting our daughter to see a professional on this in case she is on the spectrum. My own feeling is that she is more likely not, but she does struggle dealing with people quite a bit, and ASD is in my family as I have a diagnosis myself, and one of brothers is quite a classic autistic person.

i look for physical signs intolerance to low level noise is one

i'm saying encourage the kid i had a speech impediment and was classed as borderline dyslexic. i was encouraged to do math as they said i was a math genius kids need affirmation. if they fail pick them up but encourage them to all they can be

Last edited:

Back