Kelleher, wasted talent.

dot know how a back up keeprer can be over rated when he is wecond choice
and make a lot of TV saves when he hardly plays on TV very often
People always bang on about him. He played in a couple of European games, made a load of basic saves for that level and people were raving about him - mainly because he’s dramatic and makes the saves look better than they are
Most of the saves are straight at him and his exaggerated movements make them look better than they are.

Last edited:

Very good today, made a number of crucial stops. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with him in the summer. He could get a good move and be number 1…

Has any other keeper scored a winning penalty in a cup final?

Barely played and already had more success than 99% of other players.

Liverpool hanging on as he's homegrown, get rid of him and they may have to waste a foreigner space on a reserve keeper
He’s from Cork, isn’t he? Do Irish players count as homegrown?

Wasn’t there talk at some stage of Giggs counting as an overseas player for Man United before they allowed the home nations to be an exception?

I don't know why I just got to think of him. What a waste of talent, sitting on the bench watching Alison. 25 years old, always puts up a stellar performance. Only around 35 senior matches played. I'd reckon he could easily be a regular keeper for half the teams in the Premier League.
He was top class today v Chelsea .

He’s from Cork, isn’t he? Do Irish players count as homegrown?

Wasn’t there talk at some stage of Giggs counting as an overseas player for Man United before they allowed the home nations to be an exception?
Homegrown is/was the term for a certain number of years at a UK academy. Not neccesarily a players current employers academy either. So Andy Robertson frinstance would count as homegrown for Liverpool.
That’s how it was pre Brexit. I’m not sure how it is now tbh.

You'd hope a professional footballer would want to play professional football matches and not just sit on the bench 90% of the time.
Hard to get another sub keeper of the same standard and Alisson misses a fair few games for a keeper, they’d be buggered with Adrian as the next keeper for league games Allison is out so imagine he has leverage for a good contract, any nous about him and he’ll ask to be FA Cup keeper as well as league cup and get europa league any season they are in that, think he’s played most of that so far but not sure he’d get the latter stages with Alisson available

Hard to get another sub keeper of the same standard and Alisson misses a fair few games for a keeper, they’d be buggered with Adrian as the next keeper for league games Allison is out so imagine he has leverage for a good contract, any nous about him and he’ll ask to be FA Cup keeper as well as league cup and get europa league any season they are in that, think he’s played most of that so far but not sure he’d get the latter stages with Alisson available
also a team like liverpool will almost always be in europe and go deep in the cups...so can rest their first choice keeper for lots of that-meaning their next in line is garaunteed a few games a season.even if they arent league games..
Swap for Patto?
kelleger has much higher ambitions than that if he leaves..

Last edited:
It’s an interesting one with number 2 keepers though, whilst some are extremely good back ups I think the time spent being a back up can impact later career upon a move, Danny Ward probably a prime example, made a couple of appearances for Liverpool as a youngster among some impressive loan spells and being a full international, got a big money move to Leicester and I think the story is at the time they were expecting Schmeichel to leave so he was expected to play, Schmeichel ended up staying for another 4 years or something with Ward never getting a look in, when he eventually did he was miles off it and now isn’t even first choice in the championship, I think his career would’ve gone a lot differently had Schmeichel left at the point he first joined

Tbf I can understand this when it comes to outfield players but keepers can play at a high level till their late 30s so there’s no rush really
85 career club matches according to Transfermarkt. Plus 39 nationals. 124 matches in around 10 years. Its not what I would call lots.
Meslier, in comparison, 2 years younger, 202 club matches. Patterson 200. Pickford had more than 300 at age of 25, as far as I can tell.
Where did pickford play 300 games before he was 25?

Last edited:

Back