Junior Cricket In Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Colonel

I see that the other thread on Durham Junior cricket is locked of I would have resurrected it, but does anyone know if the junior leagues have now been sorted for 2013?

My lad got his letter from the DCB the other day saying that he had been promoted to their Under 12's one year early and their training starts mid January, the week after he goes to YCCC for his trial.

Things therefore will start to hot up in the next couple of weeks.

Believe this is what was passed for the whole of North East Cricket, i've got the groupings if required.

Dear Club Secretary/Contact,

As you will no doubt now be aware, the Durham Cricket League has now been formed and will be ready to commence from the 2013 season.

As a result of the changes to the structure of Senior Cricket, we are left in the position of having to create a new system to address the needs of Junior Cricket.

The key drivers were to –
o If possible try and develop a new structure for the 2013 and beyond. Failing that we would need to leave junior cricket in a state of limbo until a new system could be introduced.
o Attempt to limit the travel commitments as busy modern day life has placed a huge amount of pressure on coaches and parents time commitments and having to travel long distances around the county on an evening is simply not a viable option for the future of junior cricket.
o The 3 previous leagues running junior cricket had some big variances to the format and rules they were playing, so ideally we will be able to develop a new system with everyone playing the same formats and rules.

With the above in mind, I was asked to pull a group together to explore solutions. The task for the group was to get a structure in place for the 2013 season. We will then review the structure at the end of the 2013 season taking feedback from the clubs involved and if necessary look to make changes to ensure we have the best possible system for the future. The group had its first meeting on Monday 24th September, which proved very productive and we thought it would be prudent to update you on our progress.

The main focus of the meeting was to look at the possibility of producing a geographical competition structure. I have attached a map showing the clubs involved, placing them into 4 geographical areas, North East, South East, Central and South West. Each area will provide good competition and a significant reduction in the amount of travel.

The proposal would be as follows:
Each area to start the season by playing a cup competition to find the County representative for the ECB Under 13 and 15 National Club Championships, followed by the main league season, where each team will play each other once and ending with the current DCB championships which will be fully integrated into the league structure instead of sitting as a separate entity as present. Other cup competitions encompassing all clubs are still to be considered.
Age group specifics -
Under 11’s – to be 8 a side, pairs, 20 overs, played on a Sunday morning, clubs with good numbers would be allowed to enter 2 teams.
Under 13’s – to be 11 a side, 20 overs, played on a Wednesday evening.
Under 15’s – to remain as 11 a side, 20 overs, played on a Monday evening.
Under 18’s – also remain as 11 a aside, 20 overs, played on a Tuesday evening.

Logon or register to see this image

Great move for junior cricket - as far as I'm concerned (and I know LoB agrees), junior cricket should have been regionalised years ago. Not only does it reduce the travel time involved for all teams but playing in separate junior and senior leagues brings more clubs into contact with eachother.

When I was playing under 15, 18 cricket many moons ago it was a nightmare having to get up places like Gateshead, South Shields for 6pm starts and weekday nights and vice versa for them teams coming down to Horden I would have though

Shit draw for Brandon, nightmare travels in there. Reckon there'll be a few forfeited aways.
Eh?

All of them are just along the road.

Or on the flipside a good chance to play against some of the best junior set ups in North East cricket?
This.

CLS and Durham City will be extremely strong. Between them they probably have 3 or 4 of the top 6 under 11 players in the County.

Eh?

All of them are just along the road.

This.

CLS and Durham City will be extremely strong. Between them they probably have 3 or 4 of the top 6 under 11 players in the County.

All away trips (with the exception of Durham City) will involve negotiating Nevilles Cross, Framwellgate Moor and C-L-S traffic at rush hour. Will be a nightmare for parents getting kids across the A1, A690, A167 etc at 5pm of an evening. That's what I was getting at.

All away trips (with the exception of Durham City) will involve negotiating Nevilles Cross, Framwellgate Moor and C-L-S traffic at rush hour. Will be a nightmare for parents getting kids across the A1, A690, A167 etc at 5pm of an evening. That's what I was getting at.
Under 11 games are played on a Sunday morning.

Eh?

I took our u13s to play Durham City in a cup tie last season and we were going fine until they brought some little lad (probably about 11) on to bowl leg spin. Never seen anything like it - turned it round corners and had brilliant control. Ended up with about 4-6 from four overs.

I took our u13s to play Durham City in a cup tie last season and we were going fine until they brought some little lad (probably about 11) on to bowl leg spin. Never seen anything like it - turned it round corners and had brilliant control. Ended up with about 4-6 from four overs.
We know the lad and his Father well. He was head and shoulders the best U11 player at the DCB last year. He's now moved up to the DCB U12's and Durham City Under 13's. Cracking batsman as well.

Lives, eats, sleep and breathes cricket. His dad is/was the U11 Durham City coach and an SAFC season ticket holder.

But what about the Under 13's, 15's and 18's though?? Still a problem innit. :roll:
Honestly man, its just along the road to nearly all the venues. The Washington cricket ground is about 1 mile from CLS's ground, just the other side of the motorway.

Sorry mate cant agree with that. Moved my kid to CLS and its no worse than when he was at Esh.

Getting to Shildon, Newton Aycliffe, Evenwood or Mainsford are no worse than getting to Sunderland, Hetton Lyons, Eppelton or Philli.

To be honest I'm over the moon with the restructure. If your compaining about the above try getting to South Shields, Marsden or South North for 5.30.

Plus as said previous, you get to see the kids against the best.

Last edited:
We know the lad and his Father well. He was head and shoulders the best U11 player at the DCB last year. He's now moved up to the DCB U12's and Durham City Under 13's. Cracking batsman as well.

Lives, eats, sleep and breathes cricket. His dad is/was the U11 Durham City coach and an SAFC season ticket holder.

Honestly man, its just along the road to nearly all the venues. The Washington cricket ground is about 1 mile from CLS's ground, just the other side of the motorway.

Just f***ing forget it man :roll:

It's not the distance, its the traffic that parents will face. Nev X, Durham and Chester-le-street are a nightmare between 4-6 every night.

For god sake. Travelling anywhere is a nightmare. Stop looking at the negatives all the time. It's a chance to play against different and possibly better teams.
The map shows an excellent split with the correct numbers in each group. Stop wingeing on about nowt. Well done to DCB.

For god sake. Travelling anywhere is a nightmare. Stop looking at the negatives all the time. It's a chance to play against different and possibly better teams.
The map shows an excellent split with the correct numbers in each group. Stop wingeing on about nowt. Well done to DCB.

Well put, every evening match regardless of age group has to negotiate traffic, it's just the way it is now. It's time now for everyone to look to the future and grab the opportunities to move forward with cricket in Durham.

The standard of club cricket has deteriorated outside the Premier league for a number of years now and a major shake up was long overdue. Our junior sides can only benefit from the changes.

Just f***ing forget it man :roll:

It's not the distance, its the traffic that parents will face. Nev X, Durham and Chester-le-street are a nightmare between 4-6 every night.

Sorry mate, have to disagree again.

Most of the traffic is trying to get out of Durham as your going in and the other side has a duel carridge way feeding out, its really not a problem. I bet you can do Hetton Lyons quicker than Evenwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back