Jude Bellingham

Not seeing the funny side in that tbh. We've got plenty of super stars in the squad and Southgate is in fact, proper gash.

You'd think we had been hoovering up trophies for decades and currently have the Brazil 1970 team the way some go on.

You just put all your best attacking players on (forget all about the defence) and job done. Apparently. I mean it's worked in the past....

:lol:

When we win, its the players. When we lose, its Southy.

I've just burst out laughing :lol:

Was he that special tonight ?
Also, has he developed the Madrid manner of going down easily or making out he's been hit/elbowed in the face ?

His touch was exceptional, the ball stuck to him whilst other gave it away under the press regularly.

He pressed for 120 mins, the kids a freak and got a locker of tools that you don’t see together.

He was poor last night and his form hasn’t been the best for Madrid in recent weeks. Yes even the Madrid fans are saying it. I don’t think playing as a false 9 is his best position, it doesn’t get the best out of him.

:lol: topper isn't it

It’s excusable if they are bairns and aren’t used to England before Southgate.

But most of them are grown men who are calling for exactly the mistakes that Eriksen, Capello, McClaren, Keegan etc etc all made.

I remember Venables and Hoddle being barracked for not picking more attacking midfielders (Venables) and strikers (Hoddle) as well - but those two clearly for me put the most balanced teams out (Robson before my time). England fans have no concept of defensive balance.

It’s actually extreme now, because our defenders are so poor, whereas our attackers are superb. Southgate’s approach - the handbrake - is what every elite coach in the world do faced with that uneven distribution of talent. The defence is what needs tactical help!

It’s excusable if they are bairns and aren’t used to England before Southgate.

But most of them are grown men who are calling for exactly the mistakes that Eriksen, Capello, McClaren, Keegan etc etc all made.

I remember Venables and Hoddle being barracked for not picking more attacking midfielders (Venables) and strikers (Hoddle) as well - but those two clearly for me put the most balanced teams out (Robson before my time). England fans have no concept of defensive balance.

It’s actually extreme now, because our defenders are so poor, whereas our attackers are superb. Southgate’s approach - the handbrake - is what every elite coach in the world do faced with that uneven distribution of talent. The defence is what needs tactical help!
I don’t think our defenders are poor at all.

I don’t think our defenders are poor at all.

John Stones is easily our best, but interestingly Guardiola did not pick him v Real Madrid and even then only brought him on in midfield, where he’s played the majority of his football in the last eighteen months.

Walker is also being phased out at city and is 34.

Shaw is permanently injured. Who is going to play left back? Chilwell? Frequently overlooked by a poor Chelsea team, due to suspect defending.

Then there is Maguire.

And behind that? Impressive depth at right back, but next to nothing of elite standard in any of the other three positions.

It’s makeshift at best, nowhere near the standard we had consistently when I was growing up.

It completely belies the idea that we should trounce the competition. We have wonderful attacking players and Declan Rice. After that things start to look a bit shaky.

People get frustrated with Southgate’s adherence to his favourites, but I think he thinks/hopes the amount of football they’ve played together can mitigate the deficiencies in quality.

So far, in tournament football, he’s been broadly right, but Maguire and Walker look increasingly ropey/old.

Last edited:
This has been a long season for Jobe, he's played well and then played poorly to match, next season will be massive for him, hopefully he can progress like his bro. did at BD on a consistent basis. He clearly has plenty of talent, just doesn't have the application on a consistent basis..... yet. If he gets there, we'll also have some player on our books.

I'm looking forward to watching him next season.

Jude was the ultimate team player tonight, worked his bollocks off making it difficult for Man City to break RM down. Proves the lad can do the dirty work in equal measure to is awesomeness in attacking. What a talent, will be England captain when Kane retires.

I'm sure they do realise that England has the best midfielder in the world, and it's a classy thing to do after being knocked out of the CL. Respect to the City fans.
No . They were singing that before the match and i guess it's nowt to do with Bellinghams.

Back