Johny Bairstow update

Horrendous injury-double fracture of the leg and ligament damage. Hoping to play 3 CC games for Yorkshire late April ,early May. Durham host Yorkshire May 11-14th at the Riverside.
Not good news and concerning. Massive player for us in the 50over game particularly with the World Cup coming up and his improved Test form hes a must for the Ashes so we really are desperate for him to be fit this summer/Autumn. Just hoping IPL was a little unrealistic date and he wants to make sure he's in the best possible shape for the ashes.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'd be delighted if he did then repeat the dose against the convicts.
Bairstow also to keep wicket for Yorkshire in preparation for Ashes. Tough on Foakes.

It is and my preference would be for Crawley to be dropped for Bairstow and Foakes to keep.

However if the only way that Bairstow gets in the side is to keep ahead of Foakes then so be it.

Bottom line is he needs to play!

It is and my preference would be for Crawley to be dropped for Bairstow and Foakes to keep.

However if the only way that Bairstow gets in the side is to keep ahead of Foakes then so be it.

Bottom line is he needs to play!
Bottom line is Crawley needs to not play. Would statistically be better off just opening with just about any bowler in the world, they’d make more runs and give us an extra bowling option

Bottom line is Crawley needs to not play. Would statistically be better off just opening with just about any bowler in the world, they’d make more runs and give us an extra bowling option

Yeah that’s what I said, personally would drop Crawley for Bairstow.

But if they definitely not doing that, Bairstow to keep is the next best option even though incredibly harsh on Foakes.

Surely after last summer we can’t have any situation where a fit Bairstow doesn’t play??

What the hell does Crawley have on the management team to stay in the side. Bairstow is a good keeper however having Foakes keeping could be invaluable when it comes to getting Smith or Labuschagne out with a smidgen of a chance in the summer. As shown with his run out in New Zealand when the game was getting away from us in the final test. (Yes I know we went on to lose anyway.)

What the hell does Crawley have on the management team to stay in the side. Bairstow is a good keeper however having Foakes keeping could be invaluable when it comes to getting Smith or Labuschagne out with a smidgen of a chance in the summer. As shown with his run out in New Zealand when the game was getting away from us in the final test. (Yes I know we went on to lose anyway.)
100% agree, wasnt too happy when I read the report on Bairstow taking the gloves....hopefully it's either just a rumour or to limit how much walking/running he does in the field....though I'd imagine the constant bending from keeping wicket would be worse.

Foakes made a crucial contribution to the 2 wins he played and was so close to getting us over the line in the last test

100% agree, wasnt too happy when I read the report on Bairstow taking the gloves....hopefully it's either just a rumour or to limit how much walking/running he does in the field....though I'd imagine the constant bending from keeping wicket would be worse.

Foakes made a crucial contribution to the 2 wins he played and was so close to getting us over the line in the last test
Foakes has been treat awfully throughout his whole England career.

Crawley remains true to form in Kent's warm up game v Essex with a five ball duck. Sir A.N. Cook 84 n.o. in the same game.
Still gutted Cooky chose to retire. We'd have certainly not had the merry go round of openers since he packed it in.

He may not have been the best version of him but he'd have certainly been a lot better than what replaced him. You'd think with him at the other end some of the fellas we'd tried would have done a lot better.

Get he will have wanted more time at home on his farm so can't begrudge him for that. But he could have had a real crack at Tendulkar record the amount of cricket we play.

Bairstow’s form has been up and down throughout his career and there’s no guarantee he’ll continue where he left off last summer.

Better that he gets fit and plays as a batsman than taking on too much.

Not sure his technique is suited to opening, but realistically that’s the spot up for grabs.

Maybe Root could move up, but he’s reluctant and you don’t want to lose your best player to the new ball

Back