John O’Shea/Big Sam

I fully expected us to follow on from that great escape and be ok. He's certainly would have done better than moyles , absolutely certain of that.
Big Sam’s wasn’t really a great escape we had really good form for the last third of the season. We just started so badly we were always playing catch up. Initially under Sam we were awful but he did try a lot of personnel and systems which ultimately gave him a better idea of what was wrong. From the end of jan onwards must be statistically one of our best PL spells. If he’d stayed and we got mvila and kept Kirchhoff fit we had the makings of a decent team.

Big Sam’s wasn’t really a great escape we had really good form for the last third of the season. We just started so badly we were always playing catch up. Initially under Sam we were awful but he did try a lot of personnel and systems which ultimately gave him a better idea of what was wrong. From the end of jan onwards must be statistically one of our best PL spells. If he’d stayed and we got mvila and kept Kirchhoff fit we had the makings of a decent team.
Agree with this, I think we'd have a been a mid table also ran, although he might have bankrupted us in the process
Other than the season Bruce got us to 10th, his tenure was the most successful in the premier league stay in my opinion

Most interesting part when they asked o shea if he’d been interested in our managers job ‘of course but he’d spoke to Mowbray when he joined Birmingham and he’d told him model was just kids to be signed etc’ Allardyce and him just shook their heads Allardyce commented with ‘what, really oh dear, why’
Seems Speakman and KLD’s utopia vision isn’t shared by many else 😂😂
Just kids and Mowbray's pal Dack.

Can't blame him for leaving us and he can only blame himself for f***ing it up at England. He splits opinion Big Sam but I've always quite liked him, can also see why people don't like him though. If he had stayed, we wouldn't of went down that season after, after the Everton game at home it really felt we could push on from there. Then Moyes came in and our atrocious transfer business killed us.

Seems an absolute lifetime ago now after the shite we've been through since 😂

Allardyce and Short still hadn't agreed the transfer budget when he left. He left on 22nd July.

You could argue he was distracted by the England talk, but for context - at the time of the Iceland game - Stoke were the only other club who hadn't actually made a summer signing, let alone agreed budgets. We also know 16/17 was the season Short started to pull the plug - for all we went on to spend decent money on Ndong and Djilibodji, they were signed specifically because we could pay next to nothing up front and spread the rest on the never never.

He would have walked after the start of the season imo.

He actually said the opposite, but it's easy to say that in hindsight. I agree he would have walked. There were rumours of it before the end of the previous season, fiddled by Allardyce himself.
Iirc Allardyce had already made noises in the media about his ambition not being met by the club in the transfer market. I don’t think it would have lasted long term anyway with him.

Most interesting part when they asked o shea if he’d been interested in our managers job ‘of course but he’d spoke to Mowbray when he joined Birmingham and he’d told him model was just kids to be signed etc’ Allardyce and him just shook their heads Allardyce commented with ‘what, really oh dear, why’
Seems Speakman and KLD’s utopia vision isn’t shared by many else 😂😂
Because Speakman and co are not football people. We have no one within the club who is.

I still wonder what would be if Big Sam stayed instead of taken the England job.

Hard to say, but we would have been nowhere being relegated that season.
Should of been at the club when Bruce was appointed. Personal opinion is that Quinny had Bobby Robson whispering in his ear that Bruce was the better choice. Another one we got wrong.

Because Speakman and co are not football people. We have no one within the club who is.
he has worked his whole life in football...that makes him a football person..even if an incompetent one..
allardyce has worked as many other things than in football
O'Shea comes across well-quietly confident and knowledgeable...comments on here about him lacking professionalism are scandalous....hope he has a good career as a manager

he has worked his whole life in football...that makes him a football person..even if an incompetent one..
allardyce has worked as many other things than in football
O'Shea comes across well-quietly confident and knowledgeable...comments on here about him lacking professionalism are scandalous....hope he has a good career as a manager
Speakman has never played the game at a level and is a gobshite

I still wonder what would be if Big Sam stayed instead of taken the England job.

Was so gutted he took the England job but it's a massive honour to then fuck it up! Loads of what ifs even if he didn't take the job but it wouldn't be Sunderland as we never make things easy

Was so gutted he took the England job but it's a massive honour to then fuck it up! Loads of what ifs even if he didn't take the job but it wouldn't be Sunderland as we never make things easy
Me too mate.

Yep, he looked it up. I suppose that added salt to the wounds I true Sunderland fashion lol.

Back